Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Suspect arrested after man fatally stabbed on M101 bus


Recommended Posts

Suspect arrested after man fatally stabbed on M101 bus



Monday, December 24th 2007



Cops respond to stabbing on M101 bus after argument between two homeless

men turned deadly on upper East Side. The suspect fled scene in taxi but was

later busted.


A fight between passengers on an upper East Side bus turned deadly Sunday when a man used a kitchen knife to stab a fellow rider, shocking last-minute shoppers who watched in horror.


The men, who police sources said were homeless, were riding at the back of the M101 on Third Ave. about 9:25 a.m. when an argument erupted.


Tony McGee, the 52-year-old suspect, pulled a knife and plunged it into the leg of the 40-year-old rider, leaving a trail of blood that dripped from the accordion bus' rear door, police and witnesses said.


The killer then sauntered to the front of the bus, carrying a black bag, and walked out the front door, said an official with Transport Workers Union Local 100. The driver, a 14-year veteran who was briefly hospitalized for trauma, dialed 911 as the attacker hailed a cab at 96th St. and ThirdAve.


A quick-thinking witness noted the license plate number of the taxi, allowing cops to catch the suspect a few minutes later at 125thSt. and Lexington Ave., police said.


McGee was charged with murder and weapons possession last night, cops said. Little could be done for the critically injured man, who was pronounced dead on arrival at nearby Metropolitan Hospital.


"Everyone started jumping off the bus," said the TWU official. "He bled to death right there."


Orlando Gavin, 50, said the attack shook up the typically tranquil neighborhood.


"I'm really shocked because things like that don't happen, especially in this neighborhood and not in the morning," Gavin said, noting that he lives nearby and takes the M101 home from his job as a maintenance worker.


Police said they recovered what appeared to be a kitchen knife. Ed Watt, secretary-treasurer of the TWU, said the driver kept his head amid the mayhem.


"It appears the bus driver did everything he was supposed to do in some very severe circumstances," Watt said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's why they tell us "you want to get home at night, don't be confrontational with the customers." You never know who has a weapon on them. That's why I choose not to smile and ignore people unless they have a question, have something interesting to say, or are a cute young female who wants to conversate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.