JFK to Coney Island: B15, B7 & B68 w/one pc luggage

notkim

I am arriving at JFK on Dec 25. I need to get to Coney Island, Brooklyn and have one big suitcase with me.

After using the trip planner on the MTA website; I plan on taking the bus route all the way frm JFK to Coney Island with appx 2 - mins walking inbtw as follows:

B15: JFK --- E. 98th St & Riverdale Ave.

B7 : Lenox Rd & E.98th St --- Kings Hwy & E.13th St

B68: Coney Island Ave & Kings Hwy --- Coney Island Ave & Ave Y.

I am new to the NYC Transit and was wondering if I will be able to carry a big suticase (checked baggage) on these buses. Is there enough room on these buses as I do not want to inconvenience other passengers?

Thanks.

Kim

I am arriving at JFK on Dec 25. I need to get to Coney Island, Brooklyn and have one big suitcase with me.

After using the trip planner on the MTA website; I plan on taking the bus route all the way frm JFK to Coney Island with appx 2 - mins walking inbtw as follows:

B15: JFK --- E. 98th St & Riverdale Ave.

B7 : Lenox Rd & E.98th St --- Kings Hwy & E.13th St

B68: Coney Island Ave & Kings Hwy --- Coney Island Ave & Ave Y.

I am new to the NYC Transit and was wondering if I will be able to carry a big suticase (checked baggage) on these buses. Is there enough room on these buses as I do not want to inconvenience other passengers?

Thanks.

Kim

kim welcome aboard. a fastest way if you dont want to use the subway is the following '2' options from JFK-CI IMO is fastest than first option. remember on Christmas Day(dec.25)buses operate on a sunday schedule. as far as i know none of the nyc local buses has luggage racks other than the airport buses and the manhattan 'express' routes.

the b-7 is fastest but that line headways is horrible so here the alternative directions.

option #1-Take '4' different buses.

Take the B-15 to the New Lots/Liviona (3)station. Then cross the street and take the B6 to Ralph/Flatlands. Then the B82 to Coney Island Ave/Kings Highway and then the B68 southbound to last stop Stillwell Terminal.

Option #2

ake the B-15 to Brookldale Hosptial(east 98th st). Then transfer to the B-8 and take it to Foster/CI Avenue. Then the B68 CI-(SOUTHBOUND)to Stillwell.

the subway/bus is fastest and will offer directions if you want.

subway if you use it.

take the (a)train at Howard Beach (after transfer from the airtrain)Manhattan-bound to Jay St. Cross over and take the Brooklyn bound (F) to Stilwell.

hope this directions helps.

option #1-Take '4' different buses.

Take the B-15 to the New Lots/Liviona (3)station. Then cross the street and take the B6 to Ralph/Flatlands. Then the B82 to Coney Island Ave/Kings Highway and then the B68 southbound to last stop Stillwell Terminal.

Option #2

ake the B-15 to Brookldale Hosptial(east 98th st). Then transfer to the B-8 and take it to Foster/CI Avenue. Then the B68 CI-(SOUTHBOUND)to Stillwell.

the subway/bus is fastest and will offer directions if you want.

Shortline,

Thank you for the prompt response.

My biggest concern is - If I take any of the above mentioned Options # 1 or 2, would they allow me to bring my suitcase on the buses? Also just double checking - Does option 1 or 2 run on Dec 25? Don't want to be stranded and lost.

Kim.

Shortline,

Thank you for the prompt response.

My biggest concern is - If I take any of the above mentioned Options # 1 or 2, would they allow me to bring my suitcase on the buses? Also just double checking - Does option 1 or 2 run on Dec 25? Don't want to be stranded and lost.

Kim.

all of the buses that are scheduled to operate on a sunday will run on Christmas day. however routes like the B7 runs every 15-20 minutes or more later in day on a sunday which applies on dec. 25. that why i suggested options #1 or #2 since those other buses run much more frequent or if possible the subway as well.

if its 1 suitcase that wont take away seats from other riders or block walking/boarding areas on the bus it should be ok since ridership on most nyct/mta will be lighter. however bigger than that you then better off taking the subway or a cab.

You'll have no problem with the suitcases. Don't worry about that. I agree with the B15, B7, B68 route, too.

I will surely either do B15, B7 & B68 OR B15, B8 & B68.

I liked the B15, B8 & B68 route as there is minimum walking btw the stops as compared to the B15, B7 & B68 route.

I do not want to be lugging my suitcase in and out of buses or up and down the staircase for a subway.

Kim.

The B7 is more direct and your transfer to the B68 will be close to Coney from the B7 (At kings highway) that the B8 (Foster)

I will surely either do B15, B7 & B68 OR B15, B8 & B68.

I liked the B15, B8 & B68 route as there is minimum walking btw the stops as compared to the B15, B7 & B68 route.

I do not want to be lugging my suitcase in and out of buses or up and down the staircase for a subway.

Kim.

The B7 is more direct and your transfer to the B68 will be close to Coney from the B7 (At kings highway) that the B8 (Foster)

jacsnyy, kim is flying into jfk on Christmas Day(dec. 25) and headways on the b7 on sundays is not great. That why i suggested the B15/B8/B68 combo as alternative way between jfk and the coney island area.

You can take your suitcase on board, but if you try to ride three buses into Brooklyn you will be very very sorry; it'll take you three+ hours to complete the trip.

If you take the Airtrain to the (A) to the (F), it'll take you, with waiting time, around 1 hour 45 minutes.

Do yourself a favor: splurge for a cab. It'll set you back around $35.

If you do want to splurge for a cab, you are better off if you call a car service from the airport rather than a yellow cab. You will have to wait 20 minutes for one to come but you will save a few bucks. Should cost you about $20 vs. $35. I've used 718-444-7777. (Mill Basin) but there are many others if you can find a yellow pages. Try to find one with a home base near your destination. But make sure to ask for their estimated arrival time before you tell them to come. If they tell you an hour, call someone else.

or this way via bus:

Take:

-B15 to Brookdale Hospital,

Transfer to:

-B35 LIMITED and take it to Coney Island Av & Church Av,

Transfer to:

-B68 Bus to Coney Island area.

that can also be another suggestion being that the B7/B8 are locals.

Does B35 LIMITED operate on Dec 25?

What is the diff btw B7/B8 (local) and B35 LIMITED?

I think what I will do is:

Take:

-B15 to Hegeman Ave + Rockway Ave....instead of Brookdale Hospital.

Transfer to:

-B8 and take it to Coney Island Av & Foster

OR

-B35 LIMITED and take it to Coney Island Av & Church Av,

Transfer to:

-B68 Bus to Coney Island area.

Does B35 LIMITED operate on Dec 25?

What is the diff btw B7/B8 (local) and B35 LIMITED?

Kim 'limited stop' service means that a local or regular fare bus ($2.25 current)makes only 'express' stops at major bus stops along the line usually every 10-15 blocks(every 1/4 mile) instead of usually every 3-4 blocks.

"express' bus in NYC usually mean buses that run between Manhattan and the '4' outerbors ie Bronx, Queens Brooklyn and Staten Island charing a 'preuium' fare in this case $5.50.

and yes the B35 limited runs on Christmas Day but it not a good idea since its one of Brooklyn busiest bus route in terms of l ridership w/ a large suitcase possibly blocking seats.

however i do agree w/ the other guys that taking a cab (although expensive) is the best option for you.

kim why you against taking a cab?(which i agree is the best option for you.)

On a tight budget. I know its just $35 to $40 bucks, but for ppl who earn and live in NY it may not be a big deal, but I am new here and unemployed and currently having to convert my home currency to $$$. Its a lot for me as of now to pay a cab fare. :P

Maybe one day....;)

On a tight budget. I know its just $35 to $40 bucks, but for ppl who earn and live in NY it may not be a big deal, but I am new here and unemployed and currently having to convert my home currency to $$$. Its a lot for me as of now to pay a cab fare. :P

Maybe one day....;)

no problem brother:cool:. in this economy we all need to save $$$ whenever we can.

and yes the B35 limited runs on Christmas Day but it not a good idea since its one of Brooklyn busiest bus route in terms of l ridership w/ a large suitcase possibly blocking seats.

If that's the case then I will just stick to the B15, B8, B68 route. The last thing I want is to be on a busy route and get wicked stares from fellow commuters due to my suticase.

But just wanted to make sure that I can get off at Hegeman and Rockway instd of E 98th St as well correct? Hegeman & Rockway is where B8 & B35L start from right?

I would have to say that U should be fine with the buses. B15-B7-B68 looks to be a good way to go & should be able to do that trip under 2 hours! For the B7-B68 x-fer, it's @ the last stop of the B7. Kings Highway & E 13 is the next to the last stop follow by the last stop by CI Ave. Pick up the B68 across the street by KFC. X-Mas day should not be so bad so you do have a chance of finding good space for the luggage on the bus on X-Mas day!

Word of advice:

On the Low Floor Buses, stay in the low floor section of the bus

On the High Floor Buses, stay in the Rear Door area by the W/C seats

These are the best spots for people with luggage.

If U can slide it under a forward facing or a W/C seat, that's even better!

On a tight budget. I know its just $35 to $40 bucks, but for ppl who earn and live in NY it may not be a big deal, but I am new here and unemployed and currently having to convert my home currency to $$$. Its a lot for me as of now to pay a cab fare. :(

Maybe one day....:)

I hear you, I've been there too.

But...you've gotta answer this question for me. Home currency? But your location is listed as Charlotte, NC. What, they using Confederate money again?:)

You can take your suitcase on board, but if you try to ride three buses into Brooklyn you will be very very sorry; it'll take you three+ hours to complete the trip.

If you take the Airtrain to the (A) to the (F), it'll take you, with waiting time, around 1 hour 45 minutes.

Do yourself a favor: splurge for a cab. It'll set you back around $35.

Why would you guys have her take 3 buses on a Sun schedule...would you want to ride 3 buses after getting off a plane ? Lisren to ZMAN take the A train to the F train

Under two hours?!? No way. These buses never run on time.

I have ridden all 3 of those buses & the worse 1 of all is the B15. The B7 is quite reliable on a Sunday Schedule & the B68 is not bad under a Sunday Schedule. Then again she wants to do this on Christmas Day & normally from my experience the buses are pretty much early or on time since hardly anybody use the buses on that day & Traffic is usually very light so it should be able to be done under 2 hours. If this was on any other weekday, it's a different story

Hi kim u should just take the b15 to the 3 train, then take the 3 train to the 4 at utica then take the 4 to atlantic where you can take the n or q train to coney island which is faster than the slow F train

plus its cheap ull only pay 2.25 and ull have a free transfer to the subway.

Archived