LIRR gaps still a wide problem

Trainspotter

LIRR gaps still a wide problem

Sixteen months after a Minnesota teen fell into a gap and was killed at the Long Island Rail Road's Woodside station in Queens, passengers still step over gaps greater than 9 inches -- large enough for some people to fall through -- at 36 stations in the system.

Although the LIRR earlier this month announced plans to install 1- or 2-inch metal plates at the base of every car door to reduce gaps, officials say that work will take an estimated two years to complete.

"A lot of people could be injured in two years," said Christina Diekman, 64, of Manhattan, who has spent more than three months recovering from leg injuries she suffered after falling into the gap at the Syosset station.

Full story: Newsday icon_offsite.png - December 26, 2007

Guess people pay more attention to their conversations, than where they walk. If they paid attention to where they walked, they wouldn't fall through the gap.

Like I said before (on another board), luckily for me I have size 12 shoes. So I can bridge most of the gaps :D.

Like I said before (on another board), luckily for me I have size 12 shoes. So I can bridge most of the gaps :D.

I also wear a size 12 and my whole foot and some could easily fit between some of those gaps. In Atlantic Terminal its real bad towards the back of the platforms.

I also wear a size 12 and my whole foot and some could easily fit between some of those gaps. In Atlantic Terminal its real bad towards the back of the platforms.

I also wear a size 12. My foot could easily fit in the gap as well, but due to my size, I'd get wedged in before hitting the track. I'm 6'0", and about 230.

I wear a size 13-14 depending on the shoe so I got all of you guys. I am 6' 5" so its not that bad.

I wish I was tall like you and RTOMan, to have size 12 shoes. If the shoes are cut bad, then I even need a 13. That is why I usually stick to boots all year round. Hard to find size 13 sneakers.

I look like a clown :( :mad:

dre0141l.jpgdre0645l.jpg

I also wear a size 12. My foot could easily fit in the gap as well, but due to my size, I'd get wedged in before hitting the track. I'm 6'0", and about 230.

I'm just about that height and I weigh about 240.

:eek: No more buses or trains for you two! I'm buying you both bikes, and that will be your new mode of transportation, rain, snow, sleet, or shine. :(:D

:eek: No more buses or trains for you two! I'm buying you both bikes, and that will be your new mode of transportation, rain, snow, sleet, or shine. :(:D

So if I'm taking a bus in the Bronx, and its your bus who shows up, would you let me on?

Oh, and I can use a new bike. :)

So if I'm taking a bus in the Bronx, and its your bus who shows up, would you let me on?

I would open the door, and as you were about to get on, close it, move up 1 block and then open it again, of course closing it again. I would do it over and over until you reached your destination by foot. :(:D:

Oh, and I can use a new bike. :)

You give me the money, and I will buy it for you. :D

Speaking of gaps, East Tremont Avenue and 174 Street on the (2) and (5) lines both have some wide gaps, but I haven't heard of any problems of people falling into them. Also the last door of a Manhattan bound (2) and (5) train at Simpson Street has a wide gap too.

In addition, there is a spot at Newark Penn with a wide gap.

Archived