Jamaica's R42s last run was yesterday

LRG

Time to say farewell to another by gone era. The NYCTA trains will be standardized and have no character. I like the NTT but they are all the same. Before standing on a platform on any line you could expect something different. These days it's all the same. RIP R42s!(A)(:P©(G)(J)(L)(M)(Q)(R)

Didnt Concourse (D) also ran on these for Game Special? SO that counts! Unless it was an R40M..

And your Missing the (Z), tho the (J)(Z) still runs em.. (M) no..

whats wrong with the subweay system becoming all 160s i like the idea at least everyone would get a new quality car when riding the subway

Another OTT hater lol. Wow i didnt know the R160 is going to all of the B div Line, even the IRT?? Boy, i guess the R179 isn't needed.. And the R160s will be modded for the irt lol.

Even tho this is for passenger satisfaction, i will miss the old cars... But i like the R160s, but still like the old!

And i respect if you like what you want..

RIP OTT R42 and old! Except R32/R42 ENY yet..

Exactly, there's nothing all that 'great' about the NTTs. They are boring, FIND doesn't work all the time, lights are too bright, and the seats are not comfortable. Not much of an improvement imo.

Yup and the R160s gets worst, No seating in certain cars during certain times.. Possibly soon..

The WORST FINDs are on the JAM R160s..

Dunno about the worst FINDs, but I've seen a few photos about E and F signs displayed for the wrong trains.

heh, Go on an R160 and you will see the FIND froozen and dont get me started with the LCD/LEDs on the isle, those get busted like a TV with no channels but all grey..

not a qtt hater my faviorite cars are the 46s but the 160s have a nice smooth ride and all the finds do work and i kind of like a subway car with working a/c and that are well lit

Well the R160 is going to have a successor of course. The R179 and R188s.

heh, Go on an R160 and you will see the FIND froozen and dont get me started with the LCD/LEDs on the isle, those get busted like a TV with no channels but all grey..

Well the R160 is going to have a successor of course. The R179 and R188s.

I ride the (F) line every day to Downtown Brooklyn, I have not seen a frozen FIND in a long time. Do you have any actual facts to back up what you are saying? I also have not seen a broken LCD screen.

Same here. I take the (E) twice a day, 5 days a week and I seldom see a frozen FIND. If anything the scrolling signs that display the time are malfunctioning more often than the FINDs.

And even when this happens, it is a VERY minor problem. It's not like the train is not stopping.

Maybe not the FIND, but the little tv screen next to it. That one can be stuck signed up for one or the other line.

That is part of the FIND system and again, I have seen very few of them that were damaged in any way. People keep badmouthing JY cars, but riding the (F), a JY line I have seen very few problems over the last few months.

I ride the (F) line every day to Downtown Brooklyn, I have not seen a frozen FIND in a long time. Do you have any actual facts to back up what you are saying? I also have not seen a broken LCD screen.

Well, maybe i should say always, but see it sometimes in Manhattan. The FIND TV is frozen in one of the cars and the FIND.. And i dont have pixs, but i say what i see..

Exactly, there's nothing all that 'great' about the NTTs. They are boring, FIND doesn't work all the time, lights are too bright, and the seats are not comfortable. Not much of an improvement imo.

Eventually everyone will get over the R160 takeover, whether they like them or they hate them. I'm facing the reality: the R32s are going, the Slants and 38s are gone, and the R42s will be history as well. But guess what though: I'm dealing with it, because it's the cycle of life! We deal with shit that we don't like. Everyone knows I don't like the R160s at all, and it's not because of their takeover, I just don't find them as appealing or reliable as I think that they should be four years after they first came onto TA property. Variety also comes into play because it feels like I'm traveling on the same line when I'm not! So, to put it this way, I'm not anticipating the R160 takeover; we all know it's going to come to a close, so I really don't think everyone should be either because eventually the last of them will be on property and the R32s will go.

Anyways, back to what this topic was originally about before it got transformed into R160 drivel: the R42 did not run today. It ran yesterday on the (R), and the day before, it ran on the (V). So therefore, the R42 at Jamaica already completed its last run even though we all thought it would have ran today, but nope. It's most likely on its way to 207th Street as I speak, and then it will be time for East New York's R42s to go, and then, there we have it: the lid will be nailed shut on the coffin of the R42s...

...so while they're on the (J) and the (Z), if you want to, ride them NOW!

I wounder around what time it left JAM and did any1 caught a video of it OOS..

Eventually everyone will get over the R160 takeover, whether they like them or they hate them. I'm facing the reality: the R32s are going, the Slants and 38s are gone, and the R42s will be history as well. But guess what though: I'm dealing with it, because it's the cycle of life! We deal with shit that we don't like. Everyone knows I don't like the R160s at all, and it's not because of their takeover, I just don't find them as appealing or reliable as I think that they should be four years after they first came onto TA property. Variety also comes into play because it feels like I'm traveling on the same line when I'm not! So, to put it this way, I'm not anticipating the R160 takeover; we all know it's going to come to a close, so I really don't think everyone should be either because eventually the last of them will be on property and the R32s will go.

Anyways, back to what this topic was originally about before it got transformed into R160 drivel: the R42 did not run today. It ran yesterday on the (R), and the day before, it ran on the (V). So therefore, the R42 at Jamaica already completed its last run even though we all thought it would have ran today, but nope. It's most likely on its way to 207th Street as I speak, and then it will be time for East New York's R42s to go, and then, there we have it: the lid will be nailed shut on the coffin of the R42s...

I wounder around what time it left JAM and did any1 caught a video of it OOS..

I don't think they will be transferred to 207th Street till later tonight as you still are trains being laid-up from this evening. Maybe after midnight or so.

i ride the (E) and (F) everyday and for teh last two months have not seen any problems with the finds like somone said in an earlier thread the finds had a kink and they have found a way to fix the kink why do many people here rag on jy maintinance i think they do a hell of a job

why do many people here rag on jy maintinance i think they do a hell of a job

JY used to be awful. Back when every train was a two car set and the R46s were not link bared, they would hide problems in the middle of a train with out fixing them. That was one of the main problems, but they have gotten better. As with anything there is always room for improvement though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm indifferent to the R160s [whatever trains shows up first, I'll take it], but I'm pointing out they aren't 'so great' compared to the trains they are replacing.

It just seems some people here don't appreciate the older cars and would like to see them gone. I am trying to say that there is nothing all that special about the R160s. That is all.

Anyway, if they have more of these fold up seated trains, then I guess the Queens riders can 'enjoy them'. That'll be fitting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm indifferent to the R160s [whatever trains shows up first, I'll take it], but I'm pointing out they aren't 'so great' compared to the trains they are replacing.

It just seems some people here don't appreciate the older cars and would like to see them gone. I am trying to say that there is nothing all that special about the R160s. That is all.

Anyway, if they have more of these fold up seated trains, then I guess the Queens riders can 'enjoy them'. That'll be fitting.

Thanks for your rationality, Mr. Concourse!

I just don't see enough trains ordered to replace the 1224 remaining 75 foot cars with 1530 60 foot R160s.

There's about 200 or so R160s remaining to be delivered and put in service. The total order of 1670 R160s has been enough to wipe out all but the 75-footers come 2010, but ordering 1530 more to replace the 75-footers is nearly double the car order.

I almost wonder if the MTA wont go crazy and decide to replace them with new 75 footers, but this time with 6 doors per car instead of four, so that we don't end up with the whole too few doors problem we've had with the delivered 75 footers. :eek:

Even just replacing the R44s will require 440 new cars on the R160 order to replace its 352 75-footers.

Besides, the MTA's 2010-2014 Capital Program lists an R179 order to replace the R44s and possibly more.

Archived