Why is the designline order so slow?

Kingsbridge Bus

So the Designline uses less fuel? Does it produce as much power as the NG?

That could account for the difference.

The reason I ask, is I remember back in the '70's, during the "oil crisis", Greyhound and the US Dept. of Energy experimented with MC7-s powered by Allison gas turbines that were able to burn different types of fuel, and were extremely smooth running, but unfortunately consumed much more fuel than comparable Detroit Diesel powered buses. So that killed the turbine engine idea. Of course, that was old technology, and both engines delivered their power thru Allison hydraulic transmissions, not the electric motors of today.

How many miles to the gallon the Orion 7s and Designliners get?

From what I remember, I think the NG gets 3.2 MPG and the Designline gets close to 7.0 MPG. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

This order is so slow, I think it will take untill 2012 to complete the order or even longer. (MTA) should have gotten 1302-1309 last year but 1305 doesn't even exist:mad:

Uh, no. Once the testing goes through for the 3 buses already here then the remaining 5 will arrive with any spec changes necessary. Once the (MTA) has those down then the remaining 22 buses will come in much more quickly. If the (MTA) orders 60 more as part of the option order then those will also come quickly.

And how do you know that 1305 doesn't exist?

From what I remember, I think the NG gets 3.2 MPG and the Designline gets close to 7.0 MPG. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Uh, no. Once the testing goes through for the 3 buses already here then the remaining 5 will arrive with any spec changes necessary. Once the (MTA) has those down then the remaining 22 buses will come in much more quickly. If the (MTA) orders 60 more as part of the option order then those will also come quickly.

And how do you know that 1305 doesn't exist?

It's too early in the Designline testing to determine what the actual fuel consumption levels are.

Hi. I had the pleasure of riding these buses a few months back and now and then. How do you know one has went to CA and the other PA? Sorry to doubt you, but what business do MTA buses, specially buses designated with MTA serial#s (1305, 1306, etc...) have in going out of state? Should they not be demo'd and tested here? Why PA? Why Cali? These don't make sense.

(L)(1)(R)<R>"Watch GAP when exiting Syosset"(MTA)

The reason I ask, is I remember back in the '70's, during the "oil crisis", Greyhound and the US Dept. of Energy experimented with MC7-s powered by Allison gas turbines that were able to burn different types of fuel, and were extremely smooth running, but unfortunately consumed much more fuel than comparable Detroit Diesel powered buses.

The French had some gas-turbine powered multiple unit trains at around the same time. I believe the fuel issue saw them sent packing sooner than they might have had they been diesel powered. Some ended up in Egypt and I think some are in use in either Iran or Iraq.

1305, 06, 07 08 and 09 all exist.

One of them went out to California as a demo to a property. One went to Altoona, PA for more testing and the other 3 are more than likely still at DesignLine in North Carolina.

Would that be to San Diego or Los Angeles, which I believe has ordered the same model as New York City Transit? (On that note, has MTS, LACMTA, or LADOT ordered the EcoSaver IV, which got 1305 sent that way?)

Archived