Should The (5) Run Late Nights?

If the (3) begins running 148th Street to South Ferry late nights, should the M.T.A. consider running the (5) to Brooklyn Bridge?

The (3) is slated to run between Harlem-148 St and Times Square-42 St, Late nights, if the MTA Approves it. However, should the (5) run late nights? I would continue running it as a shuttle between Dyre Av and East 180 St. The (4) and (6) can handle Lexington Av..

Zach, do you know why only Times Square-42d Street and on which side the (3) would terminate/relay? Thanks for the correction. :P

Here let a former A Div(Now in the B Div) T/O help you out..

Train comes in on 2 track (South Bound Express)at Times Square, people get off..

There is a spur track just south of Times Square train goes in, goes to the ten car markers dumps T/O changes ends.

Train then comes in on 3 Track (Nothbound Express) and goes Uptown.

Hope that Helps!!

Here let a former A Div(Now in the B Div) T/O help you out..

Train comes in on 2 track (South Bound Express)at Times Square, people get off..

There is a spur track just south of Times Square train goes in, goes to the ten car markers dumps T/O changes ends.

Train then comes in on 3 Track (Northbound Express) and goes Uptown.

Hope that Helps!!

Ahh yes, I know that middle pocket relay track.:P As for picking Times Square to be a South Terminal, My guess is,its probably one of these busiest stations in the system 24/7, and perhaps theres no need to send it to Chelsea-14 St/7 Av. To send it to Chambers St would block (2) service in both directions..

But, should the (5) run late nights? The only time I ever used the Lex, late nights, was departing from my club-Webster Hall!=), and needed to get back to South Ferry / Whitehall St / Bowling Green. If Brooklyn Bound (N) service was re-routed via the Manhattan Bridge, I waited for the (4) to Bowling Green. It was pretty busy, but I wouldn't it call Standing Room Only. You want to see busy overnight service? Ride the (N)(Q) along Broadway From Times Square into Brooklyn. Sometimes, taking the (Q) From Times Square to Brighton, I had to stand around 2:30a.m. I would stand at least to DeKalb and/or Atlantic Avenue's. I think the (4)&(6) can handle Lex, But thats just my opinion.

Ahh yes, I know that middle pocket relay track.:P As for picking Times Square to be a South Terminal, My guess is,its probably one of these busiest stations in the system 24/7, and perhaps theres no need to see it to Chelsea-14 St/7 Av. To send it to Chambers St would block (2) service in both directions..

But, should the (5) run late nights? The only time I ever used the Lex, late nights, was departing from my club-Webster Hall!=), and needed to get back to South Ferry / Whitehall St / Bowling Green. If Brooklyn Bound (N) service was re-routed via the Manhattan Bridge, I waited for the (4) to Bowling Green. It was pretty busy, but I wouldn't it call Standing Room Only. You want to see busy overnight service? Ride the (N)(Q) along Broadway From Times Square into Brooklyn. Sometimes, taking the (Q) From Times Square to Brighton, I had to stand around 2:30a.m. I would stand at least to DeKalb and/or Atlantic Avenue's. I think the (4)&(6) can handle Lex, But thats just my opinion.

When i worked on the (1) Line in the A div it was the same way..

I guess they figured that since Lex has the (4) and the (6) trains another service wasnt needed during the Midnights.

With the (3) finally running the late nights, (5) Shuttle between Dyre and East 180 Street seem kinda useless, right? I propose extending it only to Grand Central (or any station before with a pocket track and crossover.) As of now, you got to take the Dyer Ave. (S) to East 180th and transfer to the (2) and transfer again at Grand Concourse for the (4). It's annoying! (even though I too young for a late night and I don't live in The Bronx. The (5) extension can work.:P

With the (3) finally running the late nights, (5) Shuttle between Dyre and East 180 Street seem kinda useless, right? I propose extending it only to Grand Central (or any station before with a pocket track and crossover.) As of now, you got to take the Dyer Ave. (S) to East 180th and transfer to the (2) and transfer again at Grand Concourse for the (4). It's annoying! (even though I too young for a late night and I don't live in The Bronx. The (5) extension can work.:P

If the (3) does it. Its not 100% yet, but we should find out soon? hopefully...On the contrary, 3 Lexington Av Lines, I don't think is necessary. I mean, who remembers before like 1997/1998? , When the (6) was a Pelham Shuttle, Late Nights, Between Pelham Bay Park and Harlem-125 St, while the (4) was the only line to pick up all the slack.

If the (3) does it. Its not 100% yet, but we should find out soon? hopefully...On the contrary, 3 Lexington Av Lines, I don't think is necessary. I mean, who remembers before like 1997/1998? , When the (6) was a Pelham Shuttle, Late Nights, Between Pelham Bay Park and Harlem-125 St, while the (4) was the only line to pick up all the slack.

You know, this post gave me an idea.

How about just making the (6)'s southern terminal for late nights Harlem-125th Street again. Send the (5) down to Bowling Green via Lexington Avenue local. The (4) would remain the same late nights.

So yeah, make the (5) late night service to Bowling Green and make the (6) terminate at Harlem-125th Street. Thats the best I see it honestly.

My idea would be to keep the current (2) as a local both on the West Side and in the Bronx, and keep the (4) and the (6) as they are.

The (5), during late nights, would continue to run express on the East Side. After 149th Street, it would go straight to 180th, and then make every stop until Dyre. Riders who need to access the stops between 149th and 180th would have to transfer to the (2).

Archived