R127 Garbage Train Question

lilbluefoxie

Were the R127 Garbage trains built from scratch or did they take R62s and modify them to make those trains?

Built from scratch under their own contract, taking the R62 as "inspiration" for much of what was designed.

Also worth pointing out - the R127 is not air conditioned, it has axiflow fans

Built from scratch under their own contract, taking the R62 as "inspiration" for much of what was designed.

Why are they called R134 too? Is that another fleet or just R127/R134? Any difference?

Why are they called R134 too? Is that another fleet or just R127/R134? Any difference?

If there are any differences, they're very minor. Perhaps an employee can add if there are any minor ones, but I don't know of any differences, nor does anyone I've ever spoken with about the cars.

R127 and R134 just refer to the contracts, so since the R134 contract went out a couple years after the R127 order, those cars get their own contract # despite being very similar...just like how an R12 and R14 are basically identical.

And they were at the time the most expensive order of non-revenue equipment. But I am sure that the Track Geometry trains have now surpassed that mark.

That also explains why R40s had been used for the past summers to haul work trains instead of the R127s.

That also explains why R40s had been used for the past summers to haul work trains instead of the R127s.

Yup, on the IRT the R33WF got replaced by the R62As, IND/BMTs got R40s but then dropped down to the R32/R33WF loverbirds(ha).. Now we are back with R127/R134s, R33WF and one R32/R33WF that runs from like 11PM to 2AM along Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn on the (A)(D)(F). Now that the heat is gone. And R62As still on the (7).

Is it possible to rebuild them with A/Cs? I don't get why the t/a didnt add ACs if all other revenue cars had a/cs..

Is it possible to rebuild them with A/Cs? I don't get why the t/a didnt add ACs if all other revenue cars had a/cs..

The R127/R134 were never intended to be used as revenue cars at any time. It's possible (but a good deal of work) to refit them to take A/C units, but unlikely at the present time.

Yup, on the IRT the R33WF got replaced by the R62As, IND/BMTs got R40s but then dropped down to the R32/R33WF loverbirds(ha).. Now we are back with R127/R134s, R33WF and one R32/R33WF that runs from like 11PM to 2AM along Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn on the (A)(D)(F). Now that the heat is gone. And R62As still on the (7).

Its just a garbage train.It would be a waste of money to add A/C.The employees will be spending more time collecting garbage than chilling in the cars where the A/C is just waisting away.

If I remember correctly, there are some interior differences between R127s and R134s, but for the life of me I cannot remember what they are.

The visible exterior differences are:

R127 has 2 ridges on outside, like an R62.

R134 has 1 ridge on outside, like an R142A.

R127 has NOT IN SERVICE sign with helvetica font.

R134 has NOT IN SERVICE sign stenciled on.

If I remember correctly, there are some interior differences between R127s and R134s, but for the life of me I cannot remember what they are.

The visible exterior differences are:

R127 has 2 ridges on outside, like an R62.

R134 has 1 ridge on outside, like an R142A.

R127 has NOT IN SERVICE sign with helvetica font.

R134 has NOT IN SERVICE sign stenciled on.

Good catches. Never noticed those before.

Archived