Think the R160s will last as long as thr R44s???

MasTerbAsteR

Oh, they've got 'em too.:cool: As a train employee, one of the cardinal rules that one should follow is: DO NOT PUT YOUR BAG ON THE FLOOR. If the bugs don't get in, then the wayward coffee spill or vomit will find your bag.

Do they have hooks somewhere in the cab? And yeah, if I'm riding, I'm making sure I have a brand new bag with no holes or whatever. Either that or bring the bare minimum stuff like spare clothes and a water bottle. That way I can take everything out and shake them off before setting the bag down at home.

I wouldn't want any stowaways. My house at worst has a mouse or two every now and then, and I intend to keep it that way.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hink the 160s will last longer than the 44s because the maintinance of cars have improved since the 44s came out and I think the 160s are better made cars no slight to the 44s but they have improved technology. I will make the prediction the 160s will last until at least 2040,

Yeah give or take $1.3 mil, which means they'll keep those trains on life support if they have to. There's no way they are going to let them retire under 40years. Plus it would be pathetic they spent so much for them if the older cars R32-42 out lasts the R160s.

that's $2,160,600,000 for the entire R160 order...great isnt it ?

Why don't they run interesting things for passngers to watch on the FIND screens, like news, weather, even entertaining ads, etc etc. Are they not capable of this?:D

sb.

Yeah, why don't they. We get that it's state of the art technology and all that, can we see different stuff now?

The R160 is designed, built, and delivered. Foamers complain that "omg the system all looks the same now!!!!111oneone".

Let's (for arguments' sake) imagine that instead more R32s were ordered instead of R160s. How many people here actually think they'd hear the above argument used against R32s?

The R160 is designed, built, and delivered. Foamers complain that "omg the system all looks the same now!!!!111oneone".

Let's (for arguments' sake) imagine that instead more R32s were ordered instead of R160s. How many people here actually think they'd hear the above argument used against R32s?

People would ***** even if the system were all Arnines, Low-Vs, or Redbirds. All that really matters is that the train shows up (on time is nice) and gets you where you need to go.

People would ***** even if the system were all Arnines, Low-Vs, or Redbirds.

Keep in mind some of the people that get worked up over this shit.

All that really matters is that the train shows up (on time is nice) and gets you where you need to go.

For normal people like ourselves, yes, that is the most important aspect of transit.

Before you get all excited keep in mind that using the CPI calculator, the R32 is worth almost $600,000 in today's dollars (as opposed to $114K give or take, back in 1964).

thats still a big difference the R32's cost less either way, and less were ordered

$1,801,200,000 difference to be exact

Because they aren't replacing R38-42s and half of the R32s at the same time. The R160s are expected to retire all the 60' Smees.

which imo was a stupid decision, they should have took it easy and only replaced 1 model at a time instead of all the 60 foot trains at once

It's not stupid, those trains have all reached 40 years and it was time to replace them with one order than several different types. It's cheaper to buy and maintain one train type than for multiple types.

The R38-42s were all built by St Louis Car, but they are basically the same type, just different in appearance.

That's exactly what I said. Like the LIRR and MNCR M7s. Have the R160As as red and the R160Bs as blue. Something like that.

I'm thinking more of each individual 4 or 5 car set or group of those sets having its own paint or whatever. Not like all over the thing, but in that body stripe and door area where all the cars used to be painted blue.

For us railfans we'd try to "catch them all" :P

Archived