NBA's Nets team to move to Newark's Devils Arena until 'new' Brooklyn home is ready?

Shortline Bus

Several local papers and sources including attached Daily News article, state that by start of next NBA season, (Nov. 2010) the New Jersey Nets will move out of their long time Meadowlands home currently know as the "Izod Center."

The NBA club will move to Newark, NJ and the Prudential Center home to Hockey's NJ Devils, along with the Seton Hall and Rutgers(selected 'home' games)college basketball teams as well. Plans are still set for a couple of years from now to move to Brooklyn. However if the Atlantic Ave arena in Downtown never gets bulit, this will become the teams 'new' home.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/02/02/2010-02-02_netting_newark.html

Captain Obvious has a question: Why can't the Nets simply make Newark their permanent home?Yes, Newark has a dubious reputation but it's a city on the rise. There's excellent transportation options. They don't have to deal with Brooklyn NIMBY's.

Agreed. The only locations in the '5' boros imo to bulid the new arena besides west side of Manhattan where a new MSG will be bulit within next 5-10 years, is either Coney Island or the Shea/Citifield area in Flushing Meadows.

FYI's. 1)To show how expensive this planned arena is, the Owner of the Nets Bruce Ratner is planning to sell most shares of the team to Russian born Businessman Mikhail Prokhorov which would make him the 1st person born from Russia or Eastern Europe to own a majority of a major US/Canada pro sports team.

2)The Izod/Meadownlands arena will more than likely be torn down for the new Xandu mega mall/entertainment center being bulit next to the new Meadowlands stadium in East Rutheford.

which

This is the smartest move the nets could do is to move from that concrete piece of garbage called the izod center to an new state of the art arena in Newark. This might become their permanent home if the Brooklyn arena falls through and is five minutes away for 34 st penn station by new jersey transit and very acessible to jersey and new york residents .

Captain Obvious has a question: Why can't the Nets simply make Newark their permanent home?Yes, Newark has a dubious reputation but it's a city on the rise. There's excellent transportation options. They don't have to deal with Brooklyn NIMBY's.

Agreed

This is the smartest move the nets could do is to move from that concrete piece of garbage called the izod center to an new state of the art arena in Newark. This might become their permanent home if the Brooklyn arena falls through and is five minutes away for 34 st penn station by new jersey transit and very acessible to jersey and new york residents .

you mean a 5 minute walk to newark penn station and the arena right nel?:confused:

FYI Nel070. even 'express' (NJT) trains from Manhattan's NY penn station-newark take at least 15-20 minutes to/from Newark not 5 minutes.

Not to mention, the great highway access compared to Downtown Brooklyn w/ interstate 280 is a short drive away that connects to the NJ Turnpike, GSP and Interstate 80 as well.

I think Jay Z is the one who wanted to bring them to Brooklyn.

The NIMBY issue is pretty much done. All they need now is to build the arena. It's at least a 5min walk [at least a few blocks away] from Newark Penn station to the Prudential Center, hardly convenient.

Why shouldn't Brooklyn get the Nets? I mean sure the Nets sucks worse than the Knicks right now, but why should the Dolans have a monopoly on the basketball franchise in the city? Also if the Nets' arena was accessable by mass transit a few years ago when they made the NBA Finals TWICE, they may have had a larger fan base than what they currently have.

Flatbush-Atlantic is a perfect spot for an arena sitting on top of several subway lines and hte LIRR. Hell maybe if the Islanders deal with Nassau breaks down, they could join the Nets in that arena.

you mean a 5 minute walk to newark penn station and the arena right nel?:confused:

FYI Nel070. even 'express' (NJT) trains from Manhattan's NY penn station-newark take at least 15-20 minutes to/from Newark not 5 minutes.

Not to mention, the great highway access compared to Downtown Brooklyn w/ interstate 280 is a short drive away that connects to the NJ Turnpike, GSP and Interstate 80 as well.

I apologize it is a 15-20 minutes ride to the Prudential center from Penn station 34st on new jersey transit, although it is still a shorter ride to newark from midtown than from midtown to downtown brooklyn. I think the prudential center would be a good new home for the Nets.

I think Jay Z is the one who wanted to bring them to Brooklyn.

Actually it's both Mr. Carter aka Jay-Z and majority owner Bruce Ratner with their master plan to bring the Nets to Brooklyn. That why Ratner brought the team about a decade ago in 2000 from George M. Steinbrenner so he can create the sports cable tv station known as YES.

Ratner who became rich as a real estate developer is trying to make the areas in Downtown Brooklyn by the arena, the next "Manhattan.'

However, Ratner would only being part owner of the team if the proposed to the Russian Billionarie Mikhail Prokhorov goes through.

So guys, anyone know if Jay Z maintain his partner shares in the team if Prokhorvo becomes the main owner?:confused:

The NIMBY issue is pretty much done. All they need now is to build the arena. It's at least a 5min walk [at least a few blocks away] from Newark Penn station to the Prudential Center, hardly convenient.

Why shouldn't Brooklyn get the Nets? I mean sure the Nets sucks worse than the Knicks right now, but why should the Dolans have a monopoly on the basketball franchise in the city? Also if the Nets' arena was accessable by mass transit a few years ago when they made the NBA Finals TWICE, they may have had a larger fan base than what they currently have.

Flatbush-Atlantic is a perfect spot for an arena sitting on top of several subway lines and hte LIRR. Hell maybe if the Islanders deal with Nassau breaks down, they could join the Nets in that arena.

In this 'mother of all recession' good luck to Mr Ratner and his partners to get the monies needed for construction. Hell if the Mets and Yanks were trying to bulid their new stadiums now, it would probably be very remote at best.

Actually it's both Mr. Carter aka Jay-Z and majority owner Bruce Ratner with their master plan to bring the Nets to Brooklyn. That why Ratner brought the team about a decade ago in 2000 from George M. Steinbrenner so he can create the sports cable tv station known as YES.

Ratner who became rich as a real estate developer is trying to make the areas in Downtown Brooklyn by the arena, the next "Manhattan.'

However, Ratner would only being part owner of the team if the proposed to the Russian Billionarie Mikhail Prokhorov goes through.

So guys, anyone know if Jay Z maintain his partner shares in the team if Prokhorvo becomes the main owner?:confused:

Jay Z will maintain his minority interest in the New Jersey Nets and in fact Ratner is selling only his shares in the Nets, to finance the whole Atlantic yards with the profit and deep pockets of Mikhail Prokhorov who is worth 7 billion dollars

Good, now I can finally go to a Nets game (if only they didn't suck), cause the Meadowlands is quite an inconveience to get to (pre-Meadowlands line, but even then that only operates for Giants/Jets game and other major events). I really do hope the Nets stay in NJ because why NY need yet another team there? But it does seem the plan to move to Brooklyn is going to happen so buh bye.

Agreed. The only locations in the '5' boros imo to bulid the new arena besides west side of Manhattan where a new MSG will be bulit within next 5-10 years, is either Coney Island or the Shea/Citifield area in Flushing Meadows.

FYI's. 1)To show how expensive this planned arena is, the Owner of the Nets Bruce Ratner is planning to sell most shares of the team to Russian born Businessman Mikhail Prokhorov which would make him the 1st person born from Russia or Eastern Europe to own a majority of a major US/Canada pro sports team.

2)The Izod/Meadownlands arena will more than likely be torn down for the new Xandu mega mall/entertainment center being bulit next to the new Meadowlands stadium in East Rutheford.

which

You can rule out Coney Island after NYC buying most of the land around Coney Island from Thor to remain amusement area. Also NYC signed a long term lease of the land to Zamerpla rides of Italy to run the park starting this season

I've seen some of those rides from Zamerpla, they look interesting. I hope those are the types of rides going to CI. I also wonder if they'll have like an all day pass or something. Cuz then I'll buy that over the admissions per ride.

=

Meadowlands sucks unless you have a car. I can see the Nets staying in Newark till the Brooklyn Arena opens. I just wonder what they will do with the Izod center though.

You can rule out Coney Island after NYC buying most of the land around Coney Island from Thor to remain amusement area. Also NYC signed a long term lease of the land to Zamerpla rides of Italy to run the park starting this season

I saw this ride that looked like a motorcycle rollercoaster (it's hard to describe). That looks awesome. The best part is that it's not one of those nausea-inducing rides like Medusa.

I've seen some of those rides from Zamerpla, they look interesting. I hope those are the types of rides going to CI. I also wonder if they'll have like an all day pass or something. Cuz then I'll buy that over the admissions per ride.

=

Meadowlands sucks unless you have a car. I can see the Nets staying in Newark till the Brooklyn Arena opens. I just wonder what they will do with the Izod center though.

GC from what i read, (Nel can correct me on this) is thathe meadowlands now known as Izod opened and was created oringaly to get the Knicks and Rangers who were on verge of leaving NYC like the NFL Giants around 1980. Finally then Mayor Koch and then MSG owners the company Gulf and western agreed to renonvating the garden. Plus at that time cities had a reputation for out of control crime and several teams around the country like the Giants/Jets, the NBA Pistons and NFL Lions(suburus of Detroit)and others bulit their stadiums off highways/freeways instead of downtown.

NJ desperate not to have an 'empty' buliding for the new medowlands arena then got the Nets to move from Long Island and the Nassau Colisueim.

And for the hockey team the meadownlands folks got NJ Businessman (forgot his name) to buy a team from Denver, colo. who owners were bankrupt and moved them to NJ where they became today's DEVILS.

The Meadowlands became the Contiental Airlines arena around 1995 until Izod took over naming rights a couple of years ago.

I do agree with Nel that the Izod is a dump and in geneal soprts bulidings like baseball and Hockey/Basketball & entertainment arenas belong a city's downtown/CBD area.

That why the meadowlands Izod arena was bulit GC to get the Rangers/Knicks not the Devils/Nets.:eek:

Archived