Subway Bottlenecks/Congestion Points

EE Broadway Local

59 Street/Columbus Circle- I've been on a (D) train that sat for 5 minutes between 7th Avenue and 59 Street

Between 75th Avenue and 71st/Continental-there's always congestion where the (E) and (F) merge

Between Dekalb Avenue and Manhattan Bridge

East 180 Street-this problem is worse during the PM rush. The (5), on the express track, has to cross over to the Dyre (local) track at East 180 Street. The (2), on the local track, has to cross over to the center track to 241st. This causes congestion

The 3 main places...

-135 St interlocking (2)(3)

-Myrtle-Broadway Interlocking (J)(M)(Z)

-Rogers Av interlocking (2)(3)(4)(5)

Those 3 places are spots where lines diverge WITHOUT some kind of flyover so they're prone to congestion.

Other hotspots include...

-Gold St interlocking (AKA north of DeKalb)

-Main St interlocking (rush hours, other times not really)

-Homeball Alley (AKA between 135 & 145 sts on the (A)(C)(:((D))

-36 St interlocking (D) & (N) only, not so much (M) & (R)

59 Street/Columbus Circle- I've been on a (D) train that sat for 5 minutes between 7th Avenue and 59 Street

Between 75th Avenue and 71st/Continental-there's always congestion where the (E) and (F) merge

Between Dekalb Avenue and Manhattan Bridge

East 180 Street-this problem is worse during the PM rush. The (5), on the express track, has to cross over to the Dyre (local) track at East 180 Street. The (2), on the local track, has to cross over to the center track to 241st. This causes congestion

The problems at East 180th St only began a few years ago when trains started switching tracks south of the station instead of north of the station. The (5) expresses always came into the station on the middle track and the (2) used the outside track. Now, by rule, each (2) or (5) crossing south of the station must cross over at 10 mph or less. This slows down the operation of both lines, WPR and Dyre, because prior to this change trains could enter the station at maximum allowable speed. Also the (2) train leaving E. 180th St n/b from the middle track has to cross back to the outside track south of Bronx Park East again at 10 mph or less. This slowdown and bottleneck are self-inflicted and unwarranted IMO.

Its cuz that (M) was stuck behind a (D) that was stuck behind a (N):(

...see how the cycle goes lol

Around the time my (R) gets to 36th, the (D) arrives, then the (M) arrives and waits for the (N) that was behind the (D) and when the (R) finally gets into the station the (N) train is gone.

The problems at East 180th St only began a few years ago when trains started switching tracks south of the station instead of north of the station. The (5) expresses always came into the station on the middle track and the (2) used the outside track. Now, by rule, each (2) or (5) crossing south of the station must cross over at 10 mph or less. This slows down the operation of both lines, WPR and Dyre, because prior to this change trains could enter the station at maximum allowable speed. Also the (2) train leaving E. 180th St n/b from the middle track has to cross back to the outside track south of Bronx Park East again at 10 mph or less. This slowdown and bottleneck are self-inflicted and unwarranted IMO.

This bottleneck is a PIA during the PM Rush....The (5) is suppose to be the Express during the Rush so how is it that if the (5) meets the (2) @ West Farms the (2) is given priority and the (5) is stuck waiting for the (2) to clear 2 switchs the one before 180 and the 1 after...I dont know if the Dyre Av (5) is affected by waiting for the (2) to clear that 2nd switch but the <5> to Nereid sure is sometimes we'll sit there for almost 5 mins. I guess the nice part about this is if we have long wait to get into 180th we'll stay on the express and go non stop to Gun Hill.

I swear as long as we've been stuck between West Farms and 180th a conga line of (5)'s has to build on the express track as far back as Prospect or Jackson..

So you guys have to sit there and allow 3 trains to pass thru 36 St before you guys can enter.....WOW if they make the (M) wait for the (N) then they should make the (N) wait for the (R)....But I guess that's tooo much common sense...

Or either the (R) arrives with the (D) for exp/local transfer and the (M) arrives with the (N) for transfers. This make the most sense....UGH I would so fustrated everyday....Can you try transferring back at 59th for the (N) if you're getting on south of 59th of course.

I wouldn't count on that, the state and city always comes up with something at the 11th hr....

And Paterson is running for GOV again....He'll pull money out from somewhere trust...if the kids have to pay for their Metrocards, his days as governor are DONE! The media will crush him, and Outrage will be greater than ever...

The MTA knew this, which is why they pulled the Free student card....Bloombucks just skated by with time (he was able to get re-elected before all this hit the fans), otherwise his neck would be out their too.

I wouldn't count on that, the state and city always comes up with something at the 11th hr....

And Paterson is running for GOV again....He'll pull money out from somewhere trust...if the kids have to pay for their Metrocards, his days as governor are DONE! The media will crush him, and Outrage will be greater than ever...

The MTA knew this, which is why they pulled the Free student card....Bloombucks just skated by with time (he was able to get re-elected before all this hit the fans), otherwise his neck would be out their too.

Patterson can't afford it. He's only got like 800K in the bank compared to the millions Cuomo has.

Patterson can't afford it. He's only got like 800K in the bank compared to the millions Cuomo has.

There is no way in hell Paterson will be elected gov again. I have a better chance of being elected than him...

The MTA just handed the Gov a big F-U with threatening the Student MetroCards.....

Plus the MTA spun it so that all eyes are ready to blame the political leaders instead of the MTA themselves and there's blame to go around everywhere....why do you think you have all these Representitives out there saying "Blame the MTA, Blame the MTA" they know that if these cuts go down...they're political careers are over..they have to make the Vilian the MTA again or come up with the money...

There almost nothing Patterson can do to make the MTA look like the true vilian again...So he'll need to come up with the money and make this an afterthought or he's done Period.

Archived