Even With Service Cuts, MTA Still Faces $400M Gap

mark1447

Obviously, that would never happen. Although it's true that fares will have to go up one way or another and reinstating 2-fare zones for good would be a fair way to do it. The problem is that people seem to feel that they have an entitlement to ride for free. At my college, the so called "student government" claims to be working on getting free Metrocards for students since students "should" ride for free. Of course, since even actual KIDS may lose their free rides, it's silly to entertain the thought. I've also heard people cite that since Boston's system is cheaper, NYC should be no different. They want new trains, info signs, and other stuff they don't need, but they don't think they should have to pay for it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously, that would never happen. Although it's true that fares will have to go up one way or another and reinstating 2-fare zones for good would be a fair way to do it. The problem is that people seem to feel that they have an entitlement to ride for free. At my college, the so called "student government" claims to be working on getting free Metrocards for students since students "should" ride for free. Of course, since even actual KIDS may lose their free rides, it's silly to entertain the thought. I've also heard people cite that since Boston's system is cheaper, NYC should be no different. They want new trains, info signs, and other stuff they don't need, but they don't think they should have to pay for it.

Education should be free. Charging students for rides to school will only put low income children at a disadvantage.

next thing u kno, the local fare is going to be $5.00, and $10.00 for express bus. this is crazy. They wanna cut (M)(W)(Z), and reroute the (V). and next thing u know, theres no more subway service. imagine if that was going to happen. idk wat i would do.

If the V takes over the M, the Z will stay. So only the M and W will likely be cut.

The "bonus" really only serves to get people to keep metrocards around longer, which saves the mta money, and also most of the time the bonus doesn't get used.

You know why it starts working at $8? It's so people will spend at least $8, even though might never use the full amount on the card. I've seen a lot of tourists who see the "Put in more than $8 and get a 15% bonus!" and start pumping in more money they needed. It's really a clever scam.

I bet ya anything that if the MTA raised the threshold for the 15% bonus to $20, you'd all of a sudden start seeing a ton of tourists and such buying $20 metrocards and never using most of it.

The "bonus" really only serves to get people to keep metrocards around longer, which saves the mta money, and also most of the time the bonus doesn't get used.

You know why it starts working at $8? It's so people will spend at least $8, even though might never use the full amount on the card. I've seen a lot of tourists who see the "Put in more than $8 and get a 15% bonus!" and start pumping in more money they needed. It's really a clever scam.

I bet ya anything that if the MTA raised the threshold for the 15% bonus to $20, you'd all of a sudden start seeing a ton of tourists and such buying $20 metrocards and never using most of it.

Ah, the other half of the idea I suggested would have fixed that.

A metrocard costs $1 and can be used for ONE YEAR. The fare is $2.25. No bonuses for using a PPR card.

Unlimited rides go up $1 (the $1 per card charge).

This gets rid of bonuses and gives people an incentive to keep their Metrocards around as long as possible, since they'd have to pay extra for a new one.

I suggested that last year and no one liked the idea. But if you had the choice of that or $2.50, what's it gonna be?

The next fare hike ain't as far away as y'all think...

Archived