Favorite R&B/Hip Hop/Rap songs of the 20th Century...

Jashawn R.

The time frame technically would be like the 70s until 1999 lol

Not a big fan of rap now because it's gotten too commercialized and it's just them rapping about money and all the sex they know they don't get and retarded dances and auto-tune..why would I wanna hear you rap about money when I know damn well I don't have any lol, but from the good ol 80s and 90s I got like a neverending list lol, but here are a few

Nas - the whole Illmatic album was great and is arguably the best rap album of all time..but my all time favorites off of it are

-One Love

-The World is Yours

-N.Y State of Mind

-Life's a B****

From other albums

2pac - I don't give a F***(GTA San Andreas ftw)/Changes/Keep Ya Head Up/I Get Around/Trapped

Rakim - Follow the Leader/Casualties of War/Juice(Know the Ledge), etc

Kool G Rap - Ill Street Blues/Fast Life

and too many more to list lol..but yeah nowadays I favor classic rock and old school rap over the Hip Hop turned Hit Pop of today...just a little look into my world lol

The time frame technically would be like the 70s until 1999 lol

Not a big fan of rap now because it's gotten too commercialized and it's just them rapping about money and all the sex they know they don't get and retarded dances and auto-tune..why would I wanna hear you rap about money when I know damn well I don't have any lol, but from the good ol 80s and 90s I got like a neverending list lol, but here are a few

Nas - the whole Illmatic album was great and is arguably the best rap album of all time..but my all time favorites off of it are

-One Love

-The World is Yours

-N.Y State of Mind

-Life's a B****

From other albums

2pac - I don't give a F***(GTA San Andreas ftw)/Changes/Keep Ya Head Up/I Get Around/Trapped

Rakim - Follow the Leader/Casualties of War/Juice(Know the Ledge), etc

Kool G Rap - Ill Street Blues/Fast Life

and too many more to list lol..but yeah nowadays I favor classic rock and old school rap over the Hip Hop turned Hit Pop of today...just a little look into my world lol

Or counting "R&B"/Soul going back to the late 1950's as well. Off topic for second but related as i make a point. I really dislike what Billboard did a few years back and renaming the R&B/Black Singles" to something along lines to the hot R&B/Hip Hop" and applying it to the 'soul charts' even in 1968 a decade before "Rappers Delight" debuted. Also the "Black Hot Singles' charts was also renamed due to fact a number of non Black performers by the early 1990's charted on the R&B charts.

At least only rename that genre going back to 1980 and later. Another example of 'politically correctness' gone on steriods imo lol.

Master Ace - Born to Roll.....

Cypress Hill - How I could just kill a man

Eminem - Taking my ball, Role Model, Guilty Consence ect...ect..

Jay-Z - most of his music from the 90's and the first Blueprint album

Three Six Mafia - Slob on my knob, Sippin on some syrup

theres more I can't think of it right now.

The time frame is between 1975 to the present. This is not just about Rap, its also about R&B too!!!

R&B...Bleh

Kris Kross - Jump lol

Some Biggie smalls songs

ice cube

Naughty by nature

queen latifah

Mc lyte

Monie love

Das Efx

KRS one

Sir mix alot

Hypnotize

Big Poppa

Juicy

Party and Bullsh!t

It Takes Two

Rapper's Delight

10% Diss

Paper Thin

Cappuchino

Children's Story

Indian Girl

Hey Young World

Behind Bars

Mona Lisa

LaDi DaDi

Jump, Jump

It's A Shame (Monie Love's Old-School Remix version)

Monie in the Middle

Ladies First

Latifah's Had It Up To Here

....Damn can't list them all. I like TLC's music, especially Waterfalls and Red Light Special, Brandy, SOME R.Kelly, Michael Jackson, Ginuwine... all of that.

The Treacherous Three - "New Rap Language"

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - "The Message"

UTFO - "Roxanne, Roxanne"

Roxanne Shante - "Roxanne's Revenge"

Run-D.M.C. - "My Adidas"

Schoolly D - "P.S.K. What Does It Mean?"

Eric B. & Rakim - "Follow The Leader"

Big Daddy Kane - "Ain't No Half-Steppin'"

KRS-One - "The Bridge Is Over"

Black Sheep - "The Choice Is Yours"

Main Source - "Looking At The Front Door"

A Tribe Called Quest - "Scenario"

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth - "T.R.O.Y."

The Wu-Tang Clan - "Protect Ya Neck"

Nas - "It Ain't Hard To Tell"

The Notorious B.I.G. - "Machine Gun Funk"

Jay-Z - "22 Two's"

Most hip-hop made after 1995 is nothing more than radio-friendly junk. There are a few exceptions, but the Golden Age of Hip-Hop (1986-93) passed long ago. Really, this is too difficult a question to answer, and I didn't even get to West Coast, Mid-West or Southern Hip-Hop. But it's interesting to hear what everyone has to say. :tup:

The Treacherous Three - "New Rap Language"

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - "The Message"

UTFO - "Roxanne, Roxanne"

Roxanne Shante - "Roxanne's Revenge"

Run-D.M.C. - "My Adidas"

Schoolly D - "P.S.K. What Does It Mean?"

Eric B. & Rakim - "Follow The Leader"

Big Daddy Kane - "Ain't No Half-Steppin'"

KRS-One - "The Bridge Is Over"

Black Sheep - "The Choice Is Yours"

Main Source - "Looking At The Front Door"

A Tribe Called Quest - "Scenario"

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth - "T.R.O.Y."

The Wu-Tang Clan - "Protect Ya Neck"

Nas - "It Ain't Hard To Tell"

The Notorious B.I.G. - "Machine Gun Funk"

Jay-Z - "22 Two's"

I actually heard all of these songs lol...it ain't hard to tell is epic, as well as looking at the front door and Follow the Leader. I wasn't old enough to catch the full effect of this age of rap until now...and frankly it sucks

Master Ace - Born to Roll.....

Cypress Hill - How I could just kill a man

Eminem - Taking my ball, Role Model, Guilty Consence ect...ect..

Jay-Z - most of his music from the 90's and the first Blueprint album

Three Six Mafia - Slob on my knob, Sippin on some syrup

theres more I can't think of it right now.

Sorry Dan Eminem should not be on this list. His first solo album did not come out until 1999, right before the mathew mathers lp album.

The time frame is between 1975 to the present. This is not just about Rap, its also about R&B too!!!

Hey when did the years 2001-2010 become part of the 21 century lol.

Seriously subwaytrain this is an excellent topic but only change i would have asked is the best rap and r&B from1975-present imo to and leave out the 20th century.

I actually heard all of these songs lol...it ain't hard to tell is epic, as well as looking at the front door and Follow the Leader. I wasn't old enough to catch the full effect of this age of rap until now...and frankly it sucks

My earliest memories of hip-hop are of "Walk This Way" and DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's joints, so I missed a lot of the effect as well. Still, recordings are there for a reason, and you really should study up on the tracks put together prior to 1990. The worst hip-hop then is better than the best hip-hop now.

My earliest memories of hip-hop are of "Walk This Way" and DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's joints, so I missed a lot of the effect as well. Still, recordings are there for a reason, and you really should study up on the tracks put together prior to 1990. The worst hip-hop then is better than the best hip-hop now.

There is no best at least mainstream unless it's way underground...sad

"Rapper's Delight" The Sugar Hill Gang

Not sure if these count as R & B:

"Respect" Lady Aretha Franklin

"Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" Lady Aretha Franklin

"Soulful Strut" Young, Holt Unlimited

"(Just Give Me) A Little More Time" General Johnson And The Chairmen Of The Board

"Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em" M.C. Hammer

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" Dr. Bobby Mc Ferrin

"What's Goin' On" Marvin Gaye ("What's Happenin' Hey, What's Happenin' Brother)

"Mercy, Mercy Me" Marvin Gaye

There is no best at least mainstream unless it's way underground...sad

I remember when Kool Moe Dee parked his Jeep on top of LL Cool J's Kangol. I remember when UTFO and hundreds of Roxanne's shot disses at each other. I remember when Boogie Down Productions and the Juice Crew fought for control of hip-hop's throne. I remember all of these battles that never went to war. I remember when witty lyrics won respect; guns didn't. I remember when gold chains and rings were "weight;" drugs weren't. I remember when lace-less shoes, track suits, an enormous boom box and fades were in; promiscuity, tricked-out sports cars, clubs and private planes with stripper poles weren't.

You'll never hear the best MC's on the radio unless it's a throwback hour. Anyone new who has debuted following 1997 isn't even an MC - he or she is just a rapper. And the best rappers aren't on the radio at all because they're not interested in selling out while writing rhymes about bullshit. People can argue with me all day on this, but hip-hop isn't exciting these days. Not what's publicly-accessible anyway. Mix-tapes are the only way to hear any halfway decent talent, and the only talent heard on top 100 radio are the dinosaurs who've survived the past decade (Jay-Z, Nas, Dr. Dre and a few others). Whoever mentioned T-Pain and the Autotune earlier hit the nail on the head - even out-of-key, banal lyrics can be made to sound good and sell big.

It certainly IS sad. ;)

I remember when Kool Moe Dee parked his Jeep on top of LL Cool J's Kangol. I remember when UTFO and hundreds of Roxanne's shot disses at each other. I remember when Boogie Down Productions and the Juice Crew fought for control of hip-hop's throne. I remember all of these battles that never went to war. I remember when witty lyrics won respect; guns didn't. I remember when gold chains and rings were "weight;" drugs weren't. I remember when lace-less shoes, track suits, an enormous boom box and fades were in; promiscuity, tricked-out sports cars, clubs and private planes with stripper poles weren't.

You'll never hear the best MC's on the radio unless it's a throwback hour. Anyone new who has debuted following 1997 isn't even an MC - he or she is just a rapper. And the best rappers aren't on the radio at all because they're not interested in selling out while writing rhymes about bullshit. People can argue with me all day on this, but hip-hop isn't exciting these days. Not what's publicly-accessible anyway. Mix-tapes are the only way to hear any halfway decent talent, and the only talent heard on top 100 radio are the dinosaurs who've survived the past decade (Jay-Z, Nas, Dr. Dre and a few others). Whoever mentioned T-Pain and the Autotune earlier hit the nail on the head - even out-of-key, banal lyrics can be made to sound good and sell big.

It certainly IS sad. ;)

lol the only recent hot battle was the Nas/Jay-Z thing when Nas came out with "Ether". But the Kool Moe Dee and LL battle was a real battle of skill where both sides put out hot diss tracks and nobody got killed as a result.... and they remain friends to this day...seeing as these rappers nowadays can't have a battle without someone getting stabbed at an awards show lol

Hey when did the years 2001-2010 become part of the 21 century lol.

Seriously subwaytrain this is an excellent topic but only change i would have asked is the best rap and r&B from1975-present imo to and leave out the 20th century.

;).....

KRS one

Kwame

Pete Rock C.L smoove

Grand Puba

Fu Shnickinnss

Big Daddy Kane

Archived