Favorite R&B/Hip Hop/Rap songs of the 20th Century...

Jashawn R.

Three Six Mafia - Slob on my knob

Classic song!!!

Eminem & D12: Purple Pills

Defintely not 20th century.

Hey when did the years 2001-2010 become part of the 21 century lol.

Seriously subwaytrain this is an excellent topic but only change i would have asked is the best rap and r&B from1975-present imo to and leave out the 20th century.

I don't think 21st century music should be blended in with 20th century. The music is a lot different now than it used to be and it is continuing to change with artists using club beats as hits. There should be a separate thread for 2000-2009.

Ok my turn for my all time favorite Rap/Hip Hop songs. Most are from the 1980's.

Rapper's Delight-Sugarhill Gang

The Message Grandmaster Flash (imo the best rap ever made to date almost 30 years after its release)

Jam on It Nucleus

Freaks Come out at Night whoodin

These are the Break Kurtis Blow

It Take Two rob base

Mama says knock you out LL Cool J

Hard Knock Life Jay-Z

Ice Ice Baby Vanilla Ice(dont laugh the drops and beat are still great imo even 20 years later)

You cant touch this MC Hammer

California Love 2pac and Dr Dre(only song from the '90's gangsta rap era i really like and great video too)

Keep You Head Up 2pac (more of ballad than anything)

Lose Yourself eminnem(imo the best 'newer' rapper of the last 10 years)

I have a few more but i forgot lol.

"Rapper's Delight" The Sugar Hill Gang

Not sure if these count as R & B:

"Respect" Lady Aretha Franklin

"Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" Lady Aretha Franklin

"Soulful Strut" Young, Holt Unlimited

"(Just Give Me) A Little More Time" General Johnson And The Chairmen Of The Board

"Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em" M.C. Hammer

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" Dr. Bobby Mc Ferrin

"What's Goin' On" Marvin Gaye ("What's Happenin' Hey, What's Happenin' Brother)

"Mercy, Mercy Me" Marvin Gaye

EE Local. Of these of the list i think two songs dont belong. "Dont worry Be Happy' although it hit #1 on pop charts in 1988 is more of a smooth jazz song. Also the MC hammer song is more of a hip hop/dance hit.

hmmm.......

Jay-Z: Hard Nock Live Vol. 2-American Gangster albums (Hard Knock Life, Can I Get A..., Girls Best Friend, Give It To Me, Hey Papi, Encore, Run This Town, Empire State of Mind are the best hits for me)

Mya: Mya, Rugrats Soundtrack, Fear Of Flying, Moodring (It's All About Me, Ghetto Superstar, Take Me There, The Best of Me, Case Of The Ex, Free, My Love is Like Whoa, Fallen were the best songs for me)

Eve: Ruff Ryder's First Lady, Scorpion, Eve-O-Lution (Gotta Man, Love Is Blind, Who's That Girl, Let Me Blow Ya Mind, Gangsta Lovin, Satisfaction, Tambourine are the best songs i like from her.)

Eminem: All Albums

Destiny's Child: Destiny's Child, The Writings on the wall, Survivor, This is the Remix, #1's (No No No Part 2, Bills Bills Bills, Say My Name, Jumpin Jumpin, Independent Woman Part 1, Survivor were the good songs)

Kat DeLuna: 9 Lives, Inside Out (Not Released Yet) (Whine Up, Run The Show (English/Spanish), Put It On, Unstoppable are good songs)

Fabolous: All Albums (Everything, Everyday, Everywhere was a good song, Throw It in The Bag, My Time, Holla Back, I Can't Deny It, Can't LEt U Go are all good songs)

Drake: All albums (Forever is the best song he ever came up with)

Jennifer Lopez: All Albums (If You Had My Love, Love Don't Cost a Thing, Im Real (Remix), Aint It Funny (Remix), (Im Gonna Be Alright (Remix), Get Right, Do It Well, Louboutins are the best songs she ever did)

Akon: All Songs are good

Jay Sean: Down, Do You Remember are perfect Songs

Lil' Jon: All Party Songs are good

Rihanna: Pon De Replay, Disturbia, and Hard are good songs

Pitbull: All Songs

Chris Brown: All Songs

Jordan Sparks: Tattoo was the best song she ever wrote

Beyonce (HERSELF): Crazy In Love, Baby Boy, Summertime, Irreplacable, Deja Vu, Ring The Alarm, Freakum Dress, Get Me Bodied, Single Ladies, Video Phone

Lady GaGa: Just Dance, Love Game, Poker Face and Paparrazi are good songs. (for some reason she counts in the R&B section in music stores)

Notorious B.I.G.: Every single song this guy ever released is good.

Missy Elliot: All songs are good.

Jagged Edge: Where the party at (PERFECT SONG)

Mariah Carey: All SOngs are great.

Mary J. Blige: This woman can sing!

Alicia Keys: This girl can sing!!!

Trey Songs: Say Aah, Last Time are good songs.

Lupe Fiasco: Superstar (PErfect song)

Michael Jackson: ALL SONGS.

and the list goes on..........

Lady Gaga can always take a ride on my disco stick.

Guys i thought this thread was about 20th century or first few years of this new century of hip/hop rap.

I know Jay Z 'discovered' and briefly date Lady Gaga before he married Beyonce but what connection she has to Hip/Hop Rap?

Gaga is a pop/dance/blue eyed R&B along lines of Britney Spears, Fergie and Jessica Simpson.:P

Guys i thought this thread was about 20th century or first few years of this new century of hip/hop rap.

I know Jay Z 'discovered' and briefly date Lady Gaga before he married Beyonce but what connection she has to Hip/Hop Rap?

Gaga is a pop/dance/blue eyed R&B along lines of Britney Spears, Fergie and Jessica Simpson.:P

thats news to me about jay-z dating gaga

Humpty Dance Digital Underground

Party and Bulls**t Notorious B.I.G.

Mistadobalina Del Tha Funkee Homosapian

Wall Street Dreams G. Scag

Now That We Found Love Heavy D and The Boys

Thank You:tup:. While i personally dont like most of his list for the cursing and excessive use of the "N" word at least Trizzy selections are from the '90's and early part of the new century and related to the thread.

Look it up in wikipedia. Its a fact in a way Jay Z discovered Lady gaga named after a old "queen song' radio born Stefania Gabriella Germanotta in 1986 in Yonkers new york.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga

I just read wikipedia

it says she got the name from a text message error, based about the queen song, i didnt read anything about jay-z on there, plus she's 23 he's been with beyonce since '02 that would make her 15 when he started dating beyonce.

Mad how nobody mentioned Dead Presidents by Jay-Z, probably to me he hasn't been good since like the Blueprint 2, Empire State of Mind is bullshit, nuff said lol

oh yeah few more

-Dead Presidents

-I used to love h.e.r-Common

-The message-grandmaster flash

-You're all I need-Method Man and Mary J Blige(basically anything by him and the Wu-Tang Clan)

-Today Was a Good Day/Check Yourself/No Vaseline/Ice Cube

-just about anything by N.W.A

The R and B songs of the 1990's were so much better than the crap that's on the radio today. I utterly abhor Lady Gaga. Justin Bieber sounds like a girl. I like Mary J. Blige, Destiny's Child (before Beyonce's ego got too large), TLC, and En Vogue. I also like Jessica Simpson (before she started doing country) and Paramore. Avril Lavigne used to be hard core but she got soft when she got married.

The ones that I liked during the 80's and 90's era were:

RUN DMC

Cypress Hill

House of Pain

Gang Starr

Nas

2pac

Public Enemy

NWA

Big Daddy Kane

Kid n Play

Salt n Pepa

3rd Bass

Master Ace

Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo

Special Ed

The D.O.C.

Young MC

Slick Rick

2 Live Crew

B.I.G

Das Efx

Pete Rock and C.L. smooth

Snoop Dog

Dr.Dre

Onyx

Just to name a few off the top of my head for now...

Archived