Will placing the R68 and R68A on part-time lines affect their MDBF?

R68 Subway Car

With the R68 and R68A moving to the B train with the R160s going to the W and N, will the MDBF of the R68s and R68As be affected MDBF-wise by them now going to a part-time line like the B? The 2006 MDBF for the R68s was 306132 miles, and the 2006 MDBF for the R68As was 306261 miles. Will it decrease or increase with them moving to part-time lines?

Ethier stay the same or inscrease. The (W) line R68s come down to CI yard during the weekend to get maintained.if you ride the (N) line past 86th st going CI bound. you would see R68s from the(W) line parked in the layup yard and some being maintained inside the shop. As for the (:D line im guessing that CI/concouse will split maintaining the (:D line fleet. since the (B) line has R68s they sawp fleets with the (D) line at concouse every now and then.

As for the (:D line im guessing that CI/concouse will split maintaining the (:D line fleet. since the (B) line has R68s they sawp fleets with the (D) line at concouse every now and then.

I wouldn't say very often though. I mean the (D) usually sticks to its 2500-2784 Concourse R68 Series, while the (B) uses the 2786-2914 R68, and 5000 numbered R68A Coney Island series.

With the R68 and R68A moving to the B train with the R160s going to the W and N, will the MDBF of the R68s and R68As be affected MDBF-wise by them now going to a part-time line like the B? The 2006 MDBF for the R68s was 306132 miles, and the 2006 MDBF for the R68As was 306261 miles. Will it decrease or increase with them moving to part-time lines?

it depends on whether the MTA likes the R68 or not. if the MTA likes them then they will go up. if not then they would go down :D

but seriously, i don't think how often a train is used would affect its "MBDF"

Damn man the 68s are really going to mess up the Bravo. Its going to be a slow and brutal ride for passengers now once the slants and mods get scrapped.
No, it will be a great ride for the passengers since the R68s and R68As are reliable fleets of Passenger cars. They will love the fact that the R68s and R68As have a much smoother and quieter ride than the Slants and Modifieds. They will love the fact that they will have no problems with the cars mechanically because they have high MDBF. They will also love the fact that the cars are fast and is not slow.

Why do you care so much about MDBF? Like seriously, just chillax on the MDBF. Everyday and most post about the R68/As is the same thing......

Not trying to sound rude or anything....

Because hes a foamer trying to sound like he knows what he talking about but he really doesn't.

And to prove my point, I will refer you Phil D. to a post that was made by Subchat/Subtalk Train Dude (Who works with NYC Transit) back in the year 2000 that mathematically proves that the R68/A and R40 can obtain the same speeds. Here is the post for you to read.
He is right about the slants being lighter and having way more horsepower. But, an R68 will never hit 40MPH on a straight track he is wrong about that. The Slant is lighter and has alot more Horsepower and better braking then the 68s. You don't judge how fast a train is going by how fast they go down hills. You judge by how fast they take off and reach their top speed in a straight line. The 68s will never stand a chance against a Slant in speed and braking. The Slant 40 is faster then then 68. End of story. You loose.

No, it will be a great ride for the passengers since the R68s and R68As are reliable fleets of Passenger cars. They will love the fact that the R68s and R68As have a much smoother and quieter ride than the Slants and Modifieds. They will love the fact that they will have no problems with the cars mechanically because they have high MDBF. They will also love the fact that the cars are fast and is not slow.
ROFL 68s FAST? LOL. You think people really care if a train has a smoother ride then another? How many mechanical problems do slants cause? I never hear of a slant braking down. People will notice they don't get to their destination as fast as they used too with the 68s.

I was laughing so much at that I almost had a heartattack.

Most nyc subway riders like the R68/A better than the R40s. like for example back during the late 90s early 2000 when the (:D was running on west end.Riders were compining about the R40s. The MTA got so many compints that they changed the (:D line fleet to R68/A.
Source? Are people complaining now? What were people complaining about?

I am sorry Phil D., but no matter how much you deny the facts, the R68s and R68As are still among the best cars in the fleet. The R68s and R68As have both proven their reliablity. The R68 Subway Cars from the Westinghouse Amrail Company lead the B Divison in MDBF in 2002 and 2003. The R68A Subway Cars from Kawasaki have had led the B Division in MDBF in 2001 and 2006. Also, the R68s and R68As have a proven track record of reliablity. Just go to nycsubway.org to see the proof. The R68s and R68As are among the most favored cars by the daily passengers and commuters. They dont want a Railfan Window or fancy air-brake noises, they want a a fast, smooth and reliable ride, and the R68s and R68As are among those cars that give them that. The R68s and R68As are favored by the railcar mechanics at NYC Transit because their reliablity makes maintenance easier to do, and they have Westinghouse E-Cam Propulsion Controllers (undercar), that have a record of reliablity. The R68s and R68As are among the best cars in the fleet, whether you want to admit it or not.

I spotted some R68 on B line this on Friday. Today, I spotted some R68 with B route designators parked on the Brighton-Bound Express track, just north of Sheepshead Bay Station. There were a couple of R40ies beyond it.

Why do these trains lay up on Brighton Express tracks on weekends?

I spotted some R68 on B line this on Friday. Today, I spotted some R68 with B route designators parked on the Brighton-Bound Express track, just north of Sheepshead Bay Station. There were a couple of R40ies beyond it.

because not enough room at CI yard because of the R160s and the retired R40s

because not enough room at CI yard because of the R160s and the retired R40s

Not entirely true. The main reason for the weekend (:D layups is the Ocean Parkway Station Reconstruction Project. Since the Brighton Express Tracks A3/A4 between Brighton Beach and Ocean Parkway are Out Of Service Since June 2007, its difficult to bring X amount of (:D Trains from Coney Island Yard on the revenue (Q) Line From Coney Island into Brighton Beach, just to switch to the Manhattan Bound Express Track north of Brighton Beach. The benefit from the (B)ravo layups is that, they can just send them into Brighton Beach, Out Of Service of course, then begin their run as soon as they pull in. usually 9 (B) Trains are laid up on weekends. 2 on the Brighton El, and 7 on A3; 1 or 2 between Brighton Beach & Sheepshead Bay, and then usually 5 to 6 between Sheepshead Bay and South of Avenue U. Once the Ocean Parkway Station reconstruction project comes to a close, I think we might say bye, bye to our layups. The project is slated to to conclude in mid February of this year.

Why do you care so much about MDBF? Like seriously, just chillax on the MDBF. Everyday and most post about the R68/As is the same thing......

Not trying to sound rude or anything....

I understand your point. And I dont just talk about MDBF. I also discuss politics and world issues on straphangers under the handle "Westinghouse Amrail Company" and on Transitstuff under the handle "R68 Subway Car".

the R40 Slant is like 50 times faster than the R68. how could you say that!!

the R68 is a good subway car, but the R40 Slant is better for a number of reasons

You guys are thinking too much like railfans. Do you seriously think that everyday riders would prefer an R40 over an R68? Riders hate the old cars because they are too loud. Do you ever see everyday riders crowding over the railfan window like railfans do? no. All they care about is getting from point A to point B in a comfortable state. While I like the old cars their suspension SUCKS (and Phil DON'T argue with me on this becasue your vision of the R42s is clouded by your bias) compared to the 75 footers. I don't know how many people I know who think a subway car is slow because the suspension is actually GOOD. Seriously Phil, not trying to be harsh or anything but from the way you say you hate the R68s it sounds like you've never rode one because so many things you say about them are inaccurate.

There are more things to railfanning than the railfan window. I think railfans hate the r68 because it doesnt have a railfan window.sometimes some railfans act like they are addicted to the railfan window.The r68s are better than the R40s there very loud. do you how it is when you are stitting in brighton beach station. And an R40 comes into the station all you hear is BANG BANG BANG BANG. You can hear an R40 from a mile away.

Archived