Why so many R142s at 207 st yard?

trainfan22

(Before anyone comments saying that that's a work car, he means the ones in the background.)

Dame you beat me to the Punch Line. I was going to say that they R142's were in the worst shape of there lives, but you cleared that up to fast. :D

The R142/a's have a problem with there middle car needing brakes every 30-40 days since they don't have motors on them. They used pure Friction brakes to stop them. This is cousing them to ware out very fast, some time to fast for other shops to keep up. I heard that the TA is thinking of retro fitting them with motos but that has not come to pass since I think it will cost them to much money to do so.

Yes I know I am an B Divs T/O, but I still hear things from the A Divs once in awhile.

Dame you beat me to the Punch Line. I was going to say that they R142's were in the worst shape of there lives, but you cleared that up to fast. :D

The R142/a's have a problem with there middle car needing brakes every 30-40 days since they don't have motors on them. They used pure Friction brakes to stop them. This is cousing them to ware out very fast, some time to fast for other shops to keep up. I heard that the TA is thinking of retro fitting them with motos but that has not come to pass since I think it will cost them to much money to do so.

Yes I know I am an B Divs T/O, but I still hear things from the A Divs once in awhile.

Actually NorthEastern its the B cars with thier "trailer trucks" (the ones that dont have traction motors) on the R142's that need those brakes replaced so much.

The "A" cars have traction motors on both trucks so they dont seem to have that problem but since they are in 5 car units you gotta pull the entire 5 cars out to work on a problem with two or three cars.

Im not even going to get into the "other problem" those trains had or "may" be still having..

Whomever "OK'd" these crappy cars took the MTA for a RIDE...

maybe that's why the R142 brakes are always so strong and un-smooth

This futher proves my point that the R142/As are the worse trains ever made. When the redbirds were still around the only have take one or two cars out of service. Not a whole five car set these trains are JUNK.The MTA should have tested all of this stuff out with the R110a.These R142s are going though hell but slowly though. These trains are only going to get worse as time goes on.I wonder what the city is going to do when these R142s really start breaking down.

You're not going to stop with this are you.

Only the MIDDLE car is experiencing problems of each set if what we said was true. Not the whole train. If a B car of an R44 was experiencing problems you'd have to take out that entire set too.

And do you know what it'll be like with the Redbirds still around? You could punch the wall and it'll give in. Breakdowns every 70,000 miles. Now THAT'S what you'd call junk. The redbirds were retired for a reason, they were simply not holding up well anymore. And you seem to like the R110A a lot, but the R142 was based almost entirely off of that model.

Not to mention that the R142/A are used on lines that are over 110% capacity or something of the like, it's no wonder they're having problems.

You're not going to stop with this are you.

Only the MIDDLE car is experiencing problems of each set if what we said was true. Not the whole train. If a B car of an R44 was experiencing problems you'd have to take out that entire set too.

And do you know what it'll be like with the Redbirds still around? You could punch the wall and it'll give in. Breakdowns every 70,000 miles. Now THAT'S what you'd call junk. The redbirds were retired for a reason, they were simply not holding up well anymore. And you seem to like the R110A a lot, but the R142 was based almost entirely off of that model.

Not to mention that the R142/A are used on lines that are over 110% capacity or something of the like, it's no wonder they're having problems.

If somebody tried punching the walls of redbird they would have a broken hand.The MTA could have GOH the redbirds again.Look at the ones in work service they are holding up well.As for MDBF the IRT shops in the bronx didnt take good care of thier redbirds.Only corna yard took good care of their redbirds.And plus the first redbirds came in during the year 1954. They werent retired unil 2003 lasted like a half centry! And the redbirds were on the same lines that the R142s are on.And they didnt have half the problems these junky R142s have.And the R110A was way better than the R142s.The only bad thing with the R110A was the doors were too big. 239th street yard didnt know how to maintain the R110A proberly.The R110A are good cars The MTA should have bought more of them.And yes i know there are demo cars but still.CI yard should give them an SMS and put them back into service.

If somebody tried punching the walls of redbird they would have a broken hand.

Not to mention they would have to get stitches because they cut their hand on the rust...

The MTA could have GOH the redbirds again.Look at the ones in work service they are holding up well.

And instead of buying a new car, you should just rebuild that as well...a new car will be absolute JUNK anyway...

And you can't compare a work car which doesn't even carry any passengers to a new car which runs on lines over capacity.

As for MDBF the IRT shops in the bronx didnt take good care of thier redbirds.Only corona yard took good care of their redbirds.

The old corona yard was nothing special compared to the new one. It was just average.

And plus the first redbirds came in during the year 1954. They werent retired unil 2003 lasted like a half centry! And the redbirds were on the same lines that the R142s are on. And they didnt have half the problems these junky R142s have.

From your first sentences your logic sounds like it is implying that the R142s are falling apart.

And have you been in an R142 where it has been hard to hear the announcement? Have you ever seen the lights flicker on an R142 when there were gaps in the third rail?

And the R110A was way better than the R142s.The only bad thing with the R110A was the doors were too big. 239th street yard didnt know how to maintain the R110A properly.The R110A are good cars The MTA should have bought more of them.And yes i know there are demo cars but still.CI yard should give them an SMS and put them back into service.

The R110A were way better than the R142s? That would explain why they haven't even been in service for 10 years. Also saying there should have been more R110A delivered is like saying that more PA-5 mock-ups should be delivered. Look I'm sorry if this sounded harsh and you're entitled to your opinion on the R142s but don't let the fact that there are a lot of R142s in the 207 st Yard cloud your judgment on them.

The old corna yard was a good shop. Only one car got reefed from corna yard.And yes i have been on R142s where it was hard to hear to annuncements like when there is a G.O or FARBAR. You can barely hear the annuncements.And yes the R142s lights do fickr when it goes over a third rail gap. Because of all the dead batties that the R142s have.They are not holding up well nuff said.And the reason why the R110a hasnt been in service in years is because of the lack of parts.And some other reason only the MTA knows. And it ran fine in 2003 from pikin yard to 239th st yard.The R142s are the crappyist trains in fleet they cant even be stored outside in cold weather because the brakes will freeze. Like when its like 5 degrees outside you will see R32/38/40/42/44/46/62/68/143/160s stored outside. But no the 180/239/westchester yards will be empty. the R142s cant take the cold they have lay up on the 7 av/lex express tracks. And only some redbird cars were rusting most of them were in great shape.If they were so bad then why did the MTA save so many for work service?Redbirds own the R142 nuff said.The best cars in the A div are the R62/A.

I REALLY do not feel like arguing against you but just a few things for now -

And yes i have been on R142s where it was hard to hear to announcements like when there is a G.O or FARBAR. You can barely hear the announcements.

I seriously do not think anyone else here agrees with you on that statement.

They are not holding up well nuff said.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Holding up well = carbody is in great condition in my book. The R142 are holding up well but they are having quite a few technical problems.

They cant even be stored outside in cold weather because the brakes will freeze. Like when its like 5 degrees outside you will see R32/38/40/42/44/46/62/68/143/160s stored outside. But no the 180/239/westchester yards will be empty. the R142s cant take the cold they have lay up on the 7 av/lex express tracks.

They could be used for service, since they are used on lines at capacity. And for any car it is better to keep them underground if it means protection from the elements.

If they were so bad then why did the MTA save so many for work service?

If they were so good then how come they're all gone?

(One last thing the MTA is NEVER, i mean NEVER going to do a GOH again. That GOH was only because the system was falling apart and it was the only remaining option for the subway cars. The MTA has to find a company to rebuild the cars, and they won't get many of them since the rebuilders can lose money on the deal. Not to mention that you would have to remove the asbestos from the car which would be costly, and THEN rebuild the car, which could make it possibly cost more.)

This is my last argument. The sooner this is over with the better.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but one of the big things I wanted to mention with the redbirds is the tendency that alot of the cars would give indication when there was still something (or someone) wedged in between the doors. I enjoyed riding those cars as much as anyone and their motors were generally in good shape, but they DID need to go...I hear a lot less about "dragging" incidents in the subway now than say 12-15 years ago (yes, I paid attention even then...) Since the lines these cars ran in the A Div were crowded ones, cars giving indication when they shouldn't is a safety threat, and also (of course) a lawsuit threat. The R142's certainly have more than their fair share of problems but its a stretch to say that the redbirds should still be in service

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the 142's are at the 207th st overhaul shop, going thru SMS, scheduled maintenence service. The transit performs this every six years or so, as needed.

the brake issues are done at the 207th st maintenence barn. something different altogether.

the 142's are at the 207th st overhaul shop, going thru SMS, scheduled maintenence service. The transit performs this every six years or so, as needed.

the brake issues are done at the 207th st maintenence barn. something different altogether.

Dear trainfan22,

OWN3D!

Love,

myvalk

Dear trainfan22,

OWN3D!

Love,

myvalk

Uh no you didnt read the last sentnce. The MTA only takes one or two trainsets at a time for SMS. THEY WAS HAVING CAR SHORTAGES BECAUSE OF R142/As HAVING BRAKING PROBEMS. The mta is not going to take out so many trainsets for SMS that they will have to cut service. That doesnt make any sence and plus the R142s are eight years old anyway he said every six years geez you cant read....

Car Shortages? Never heard of that with R142s. I believe you are POWNED again.

It was posted on subchat that there was an A div car shortage because of OOS R142s with braking problems. And there was R62As from the (7) running on the (4) due to not having enough R142s to cover service. So you fail badly again.

Uh no you didnt read the last sentnce. The MTA only takes one or two trainsets at a time for SMS. THEY WAS HAVING CAR SHORTAGES BECAUSE OF R142/As HAVING BRAKING PROBEMS. The mta is not going to take out so many trainsets for SMS that they will have to cut service.

1. They WERE having car shortages.

2. WERE. Not ARE, WERE...

the R142s are eight years old anyway he said every six years geez you cant read....

I don't recall seeing R142s getting an SMS two years ago, you?

fail.jpg

1. They WERE having car shortages.

2. WERE. Not ARE, WERE...

I don't recall seeing R142s getting an SMS two years ago, you?

fail.jpg

This is 2008 the R142 got an SMS in 2006 that it was posted in 2006 that the R142 were getting SMS. Geez cant you count 2006 was TWO YEARS AGO And there are pics of R142s at CI yard getting SMS in 2006 so you FAIL again.....

EDIT to prove you wrong heres an pic and look at the date.http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?50067

Archived