How Sweet It'd Be

m7zanr160s

How sweet it be if the (E) actually did run to Rosedale using the Locust Manor ROW. I live in Rochdale so, it would be wonderful to hop on the (E) at Locus...err, Farmers Blvd. I think they'd change the name. It would definitely lighten the load on the buses used to travel to Parsons/Archer. I was looking at Google maps wondering where stops would be and came up with: 109th/160th (the most thugged out station in the system), Guy R., Baisley, Farmers, Springfield, and the Franicis Lewis as the last stop. 160th st. eventually merges with the LIRR ROW, so I figure bring it out the ground by the buildings and maybe a sharp turn on 110th Ave to merge. I actually think it would be more useful than the LIRR, in this area. Some still have to take the subway after they get to Penn, anyway. Make Far Rock. branch trains run on the St. Albans so we still have LIRR access, and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.

That would be sweet. But that branch separates from the main line before Parsons Blvd. If the MTA did decide on that, they would probably want to use St albans but then LIRR would have to re-align the tracks at Rosedale for South Shore trains. But a Subway to SE Queens would be sweet indeed

That would be sweet. But that branch separates from the main line before Parsons Blvd. If the MTA did decide on that, they would probably want to use St albans but then LIRR would have to re-align the tracks at Rosedale for South Shore trains. But a Subway to SE Queens would be sweet indeed

Not really. If the (E) ran to Francis Lewis (Rosedale), there'd be no more need for the LIRR there.

I think the (MTA) should extend the (E) to SE Queens via the St. Albans branch. I'd go with St. Albans because the branch peels of from the Main Line east of Merrick Boulevard. This means you could have a stop on the (E) at Merrick. You could also have a stop at Liberty Avenue that connects to the frequent-running Q83 bus. Also, the (MTA) proposing to eliminate weekend service on the West Hempstead Line which serves the St. Albans train station, it would create a perfect opportunity to convert the St. Albans branch to an extension of the (E) train.

Noone really knows, but extending service to areas with none is always good.

It's not like adding another subway trunk to extreme lower Manhattan, there is no subway service there.

Plus, there are little to no capital costs, since the ROW and tracks are there, you just have to modify them to subway specs.

Plus, there are little to no capital costs, since the ROW and tracks are there, you just have to modify them to subway specs.

You don't "just" have to modify them to NYCT standards, you have to completely re-signal them. Existing stations would have to be modified heavily for fare control. New stations would be built along the line. Signage has to be updated in other parts of the system, as well as subway maps updated. The MTA website has to be updated, NTTs would also have to be updated with the newest information.

It's still a f**kton of money.

You don't "just" have to modify them to NYCT standards, you have to completely re-signal them. Existing stations would have to be modified heavily for fare control. New stations would be built along the line. Signage has to be updated in other parts of the system, as well as subway maps updated. The MTA website has to be updated, NTTs would also have to be updated with the newest information.

It's still probably cheaper than building it from scratch. Plus, all of the LIRR trains get rerouted so there is one less branch to worry about interfering with the main line, so trains don't interefere with each other as much, making scheduling that much easier.

There were originally plans to extend the (E) to SE Queens via Merrick Blvd. It didn't go through because of budget problems, and I'm not sure how much NIMBY's were a factor as well. The line was truncated at Jamaica Center/Parsons-Archer.

This would save me a lot of time and money.

It'd save me some money as well, that's for sure. VS residents would oppose any subway coming near this village though. Even if the funding existed, it wouldn't happen.

It'd save me some money as well, that's for sure. VS residents would oppose any subway coming near this village though. Even if the funding existed, it wouldn't happen.

Valley Stream is LI, though. Francis Lewis is still in Queens. Rosedale station would be the last stop on the (E); still Queens county. They need to make that happen. All other boroughs are loaded with trains, except SI. Queens residents still have long bus rides after their long subway ride. Also, I think a brand new el linking the (E) to the LIRR ROW would be relatively quiet (e.g. Atlantic Avenue viaduct rehab) so, you could pitch that to NIMBY'S.

I'm well aware of the border between Nassau and Queens Counties. The point of the matter is that residents of VS will have a large incentive to protest anything that brings the subway that close to home. Francis Lewis is not far from the border, and only about ten minutes from my house.

The LIRR keeps things quiet. We like it that way.

Edit: read up about when the LIRR considered selling the PW branch to the City to extend the IRT along the LIRR ROW. The NIMBYs screamed so loud that I think the Man in the Moon heard.

You don't "just" have to modify them to NYCT standards, you have to completely re-signal them. Existing stations would have to be modified heavily for fare control. New stations would be built along the line.

Only one station has to be modified: St. Albans, and not heavily. Any other stations would have to be built. But should they not be? Yes, the line would have to be re-signaled, but this has been done in the past.

Signage has to be updated in other parts of the system, as well as subway maps updated. The MTA website has to be updated, NTTs would also have to be updated with the newest information.

That's not a good reason not to build this extension. That has to be done every time subway service changes. The NTTs had to be modified when the (Q) was restored to the Broadway Line and the (V) and (W) were introduced. Subway maps and signage had to be updated too, along with the (MTA) website to reflect that. Should they have left the (Q) permanently on 6th Avenue, the (N) permanently local through the Montague Tunnel and never introduced the (V) or (W) line to avoid having to change the NTTs, the website, the maps and the station signs? Should the (MTA) never build another subway line again so it can avoid having to change the NTTs, the website, the maps and the station signs?

Not anywhere near as much as having to tunnel the (E) extension under Merrick Boulevard. The LIRR won't miss the St. Albans branch that much, especially given that they're already planning to cut weekend service on the West Hempstead Line. The (MTA) would have to be stupid not to convert this branch to subway operation.

I'm well aware of the border between Nassau and Queens Counties. The point of the matter is that residents of VS will have a large incentive to protest anything that brings the subway that close to home. Francis Lewis is not far from the border, and only about ten minutes from my house.

Edit: read up about when the LIRR considered selling the PW branch to the City to extend the IRT along the LIRR ROW. The NIMBYs screamed so loud that I think the Man in the Moon heard.

I hear what you're saying but, that's pretty open space out there. Would the subway be that much louder than the LIRR. And on a railfan tip, that area would be the only other train race between LIRR and the subway. I count the (J) and the RR as the only one I know of. How cool would that be?

That's not a good reason not to build this extension.

Where in my post did I say any of that was a reason against expansion? My comments were directed at his notion that it would be a "small" expense. Understanding precedes replying.

Too bad, so sad for Valley Stream NIMBYs! Sorry, it had to be said. An (E) extension would not serve Valley Stream or any other part of Nassau County. It's only going to run in Queens and not serve VS, so they should not be allowed to deny the many transit-dependent residents of SE Queens a better way into Manhattan. VS will still be served exclusively by the four branches of the LIRR that already stop there, so their commute will not be affected in any way, shape or form. No subway trains would stop in Valley Stream.

Sorry, but Valley Stream NIMBYs do not have the right to inconvenience SE Queens residents by forcing to continue jamming onto slow buses all the way to Jamaica and then onto the (E) or (F) train just so they can have their "quiet".

PW, I can understand because that line extends into Great Neck, Manhasset and Port Washington, Nassau County, and there's no parallel rail line. But the LIRR has two parallel lines through SE Queens. They don't need both of them. One of those two lines can (and should) be converted to subway service.

Too bad, so sad for Valley Stream NIMBYs! Sorry, it had to be said. An (E) extension would not serve Valley Stream or any other part of Nassau County. It's only going to run in Queens and not serve VS, so they should not be allowed to deny the many transit-dependent residents of SE Queens a better way into Manhattan. VS will still be served exclusively by the four branches of the LIRR that already stop there, so their commute will not be affected in any way, shape or form. No subway trains would stop in Valley Stream.

Sorry, but Valley Stream NIMBYs do not have the right to force SE Queens residents to continue jamming onto slow buses all the way to Jamaica and then onto the (E) train just so they can have their "quiet".

PW, I can understand because that line extends into Great Neck, Manhasset and Port Washington, Nassau County, and there's no parallel rail line. But the LIRR has two parallel lines through SE Queens. They don't need both of them. One of those two lines can (and should) be converted to subway service.

Exactly. :tup::tup:

Where in my post did I say any of that was a reason against expansion? My comments were directed at his notion that it would be a "small" expense. Understanding precedes replying.

I understood exactly what you said. And I'm saying that all the updates that the (MTA) would have to undertake to reflect the change in service are already done every time subway service is revised. This wouldn't be any different. No subway expansion is cheap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper when you've already got a perfectly good right-of-way and tracks.

What should be and what should not be has no bearing on reality. In this world, there are those who do run the show, and those who do not run the show.

Looks like the (E) will be calling Jamaica Center home for a long time. Have fun on those buses.

What should be and what should not be has no bearing on reality. In this world, there are those who do run the show, and those who do not run the show.

Looks like the (E) will be calling Jamaica Center home for a long time. Have fun on those buses.

Dang, just kill the dream...huh? I'll continue to have fun imagining what it'd be like.

Archived