RIP 239th Street Tower

Fred G

Just North of Nereid Av on the White Plains Rd line. I was looking north of the station and there it was - gone! :(

19+Over+the+hump+at+Nereid.jpg

Before

06+Another+R142+over+the+hump.jpg

After

43+Out+of+Service+at+Nereid+2.jpg

Happier times

17+Nereid+Av+01.jpg

Even more nostalgic B)

Oh well, another tower bites the dust.

Excellent photos. Why did they take the tower down?

When did they knock down the tower?

Thanks, I have no idea when this one was removed, but they're getting rid of all the old towers as things are more centralized now. The last I recall being out there to see this tower was last summer or autumn.

Excellent pixs! Love my redbird!

And im wondering if the tower was ether removed during the (2) G/o with no trains from White Plains Rd/241st and Morris Park ave/180th. Or during the 241st rehab(doubt)

A great track layout that area is, but without that signal tower, it looks so empty. It reminds me of the (A) line track layout at Rockaway Blvd when they split to the Rockaways or Lefferts Blvd.

Nice pics as always man :tup::tup:

Slammin pics!

Thanks! That tower got slammed right outta there B)

ah that 239th tower. Damn shame.

At least to my knowledge the one in the yard with the US&S machine is still around...

Yeah, progress. I felt more loss when they took the one out at Myrtle-Wyckoff

Excellent pixs! Love my redbird!

And im wondering if the tower was ether removed during the (2) G/o with no trains from White Plains Rd/241st and Morris Park ave/180th. Or during the 241st rehab(doubt)

Thanks, Mark :( I dunno when, as I saw it last fall I think. That redbird is from the last MOD trip in June 2005.

A great track layout that area is, but without that signal tower, it looks so empty. It reminds me of the (A) line track layout at Rockaway Blvd when they split to the Rockaways or Lefferts Blvd.

Nice pics as always man :tup::tup:

Thanks, and yep, that tower brought the pic together.

Archived