Question for all you knowledgable folks

QM1to6Ave

Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and I must say I have learned a lot from reading these forums in the past.

Anyway, I've always wondered why the R-46's were made with full length cabs for the T/O's and C/R's, while the Brightliners, R-40's, etc. all have half-width cabs. I remember reading an MTA flyer saying that the R-160's were given full-length cabs so the T/O can safely operate the doors while in ATO. Any ideas on the subject?

I was also wondering what it must be like for all you motormen out there to have to sit in one of those tiny half-width cabs all day long. Looks quite claustrophobic (I think I spelled that wrong lol).

Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and I must say I have learned a lot from reading these forums in the past.

Anyway, I've always wondered why the R-46's were made with full length cabs for the T/O's and C/R's, while the Brightliners, R-40's, etc. all have half-width cabs. I remember reading an MTA flyer saying that the R-160's were given full-length cabs so the T/O can safely operate the doors while in ATO. Any ideas on the subject?

I was also wondering what it must be like for all you motormen out there to have to sit in one of those tiny half-width cabs all day long. Looks quite claustrophobic (I think I spelled that wrong lol).

The 60 footers (R1-9, R10, R16, R27, R30, R32, R38, R40, R42) were built with half width cabs because passenger capacity was being considered, because the cars were linked in married pairs. Starting with the 75 footers (R44, R46, R68, R68A) were built with ATO capacity in mind (particularily the R44's and the 46's), and because they were 75 feet, capacity was not that much of an issue, as cars are linked in 4 car sets.

It's wierd to think that ATO was even a real possibility before the year 2000 without any really powerful computers/CBTC systems and the NTT's.

Why? You don't need a fast processor or a lot of memory to interpret how far the train ahead of you is.

The further you are from another train, the closer to MAS you can travel. The closer you are to another train, the slower you must go (to maintain a preset "safe distance").

Cool-thanks for the info. Were any concrete plans ever created for ATO for the R46's? It's wierd to think that ATO was even a real possibility before the year 2000 without any really powerful computers/CBTC systems and the NTT's.

There's an interesting article about ATO service pre-NTT era on nycsubway.org. (MTA) took it into serious consideration and equipped it temporarily on the Grand Central Shuttle. However, plans were scrapped due to a fire and this raised a concern on a public hazard.

There's an interesting article about ATO service pre-NTT era on nycsubway.org. (MTA) took it into serious consideration and equipped it temporarily on the Grand Central Shuttle. However, plans were scrapped due to a fire and this raised a concern on a public hazard.

aka the experimental train burned.

The experimental train did not burn because of "ATO" equipment failure. It burned because a train on an adjacent track burned and the fire spread and destroyed some of the wayside signalling equipment on the track with the ATO train and it was decided not to be rebuilt. However, it was performing pretty well at the time the incident happened.

The experimental train did not burn because of "ATO" equipment failure. It burned because a train on an adjacent track burned and the fire spread and destroyed some of the wayside signalling equipment on the track with the ATO train and it was decided not to be rebuilt. However, it was performing pretty well at the time the incident happened.

Yeah, I know. Did I ever say it burned because of ATO issues?

Why? You don't need a fast processor or a lot of memory to interpret how far the train ahead of you is.

The further you are from another train, the closer to MAS you can travel. The closer you are to another train, the slower you must go (to maintain a preset "safe distance").

Yeah, Vancouver has had an all ATO system for 3 decades or more now.

Sorry, I was not being completely clear- I was referring more to the ultra-modern, space-age look within the cars themselves, such as the advanced computers and screens installed in the cabs of the NTT's and the crisp, bright LED signs(although I know some people still find these cars boring), not the general principle of automatic train operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived