Subway ridership highest since 1951

Trainspotter

Subway ridership highest since 1951

Subway ridership continued its upward march last year, hitting its highest mark since 1951, transit officials said Wednesday.

More than 1.5 billion people rode the rails in 2007, up 4.2%, NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said in a statement.

Officials cited a strong economy, record tourism and MetroCard discounts for the increase.

Roberts also said investments to upgrade service, including new subway trains, are attracting more riders.

But the surge also highlights the need for additional money to expand the mass transit system to meet the growing demand in the coming decades and to alleviate existing overcrowding during peak hours, the NYC Transit chief added.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 7, 2008

so thats over 2.2 billion in revenue and they still want to raise the fare.

Don't forget them new tech trains (R160) that everyone likes cost a fortune each. Personally I'm all for it. If it brings out more riders then do it. Heck, it's even bringing me out to ride.

The MTA wates a lot of money on new tech trains like the R142s.Which has a lot of problems and breaks down a lot.The MTA just bought a bunch of lemons. They could have save a lot of money just by GOHing the old subway cars again The MTA prematurely retired the R10 R16 R27/30.Those cars werent even 40 years old!They are doing the same thing with the R38s Which are good cars.That could go another 10 years.Like for example the MTA has these "certain" subway cars sitting in 207/239th st yard collecting dust.CI should rebuid them into working subway cars and make them useful.

The MTA wates a lot of money on new tech trains like the R142s.Which has a lot of problems and breaks down a lot.The MTA just bought a bunch of lemons. They could have save a lot of money just by GOHing the old subway cars again The MTA prematurely retired the R10 R16 R27/30.Those cars werent even 40 years old!They are doing the same thing with the R38s Which are good cars.That could go another 10 years.Like for example the MTA has these "certain" subway cars sitting in 207/239th st yard collecting dust.CI should rebuid them into working subway cars and make them useful.

I agree with you there. They can't go get the redbirds out of the ocean now. I would like to see some older cars out there, new tech is great but I don't want it all to be the same. I want to see R110 out, anybody?

Don't forget them new tech trains (R160) that everyone likes cost a fortune each. Personally I'm all for it. If it brings out more riders then do it. Heck, it's even bringing me out to ride.
Everyone likes? Uh, no. I haven't even met a T/O that likes the 160s yet.

Archived