The Culver Viaduct layup

Bushwick Bill

Has anyone ever seen the ending of the Culver Viaduct layup track?

Pictures?

Bill (NYCT)

that's a layup track?

i've always wondered where that track went down to anyway

thought the trains go down that track and roll off the bridge and crash to the ground ;)

but that's a pretty weird place for a layup track lol

Are you talking about when the tracks go down near Bergen Street? If so Here is a link to a website with info about where the tracks go and what is down there.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/bergenst.html

Not those tracks but the ones that user error mentioned without all the death and destruction. I've been looking for images of it and can't find any. Its a very interersting piece of track. I was hoping someone here had pictures of it or some information. I guess its harder than I thought to find.

Bill (NYCT)

Not those tracks but the ones that user error mentioned without all the death and destruction. I've been looking for images of it and can't find any. Its a very interersting piece of track. I was hoping someone here had pictures of it or some information. I guess its harder than I thought to find.

Bill (NYCT)

that place is like the forbidden land, nobody goes down there lol

but i'm curious too why out of all places would they build a layup track there?

Really, thats odd. I thought I heard someone say that that track can't be used because it has been out of service for so long, but I don't know for sure. Maybe it was used as a turn around.

It's an additional layup spot for some (G) trains at Jamaica Yard is overcrowded and ends right before the Smith-9th Street station begins.

Oh I was saying that the tracks are blocked from the switches on Bergen Strett lower level to the switches right before 4th Ave and I think on the 4th Ave end, the red flags block off the middle lay-up. As far as I know, there is nothing blocking the express tracks from 4th Ave to Chruch Ave. On the weekend when there is not a G.O. in place, the (G)s trun in the Church Ave Yard.

To end this finally my uncle told me the whole story:

First the viaduct i one track , then after it seperates into two tracks , which use to be the old express tracks below the local tracks, which ran under 4th ave. and 7th ave. on the F, then it continued up to before Fort Hamilton Parkway and joins the local F track again.

here is the map http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbklyn-2.png

Smith-9th.jpg

Ok, so I think i may have confused myself and everyone else, but the track map shows the stub track ending before Smith-9th Street. Now what I was thinking was that between 4th Ave and Chruch Ave trains can operate. I do know that as shown on the map above, on the express tracks at Carroll Street there are ties with red lights blocking both north and south bound tracks and were the (F) switches to go to the upper level noth of Bergen Street there are red lights and trippers too. Now I had said that I was not sure if the lay-up track in question could be used because there are red flags and trippers on the express tracks on the viaduct. Now I have indicated were I think they are, but since I am in Albany, I am not sure were they are. (The red lines indicate red flags and trips that block the express tracks between Bergen lowere level and just north of 4th Ave).

Archived