Q14/Q34 Suggested Route Modification

hoodciti

As part of the service changes the MTA intends to restructure the Q14 and Q15.

The modified proposal will discontinue the Q14 entirely and reroute selected Q15 trips to serve 150th Street north of the Cross Island Parkway in order to maintain service to the corridor.

To me the Q14, although short, is well patronized. Instead of discontinuing the Q14 how about merging the route with the northern branch of the Q34.

This makes more sense then simply eliminating the route. The Q14 becomes more useful and Q34 riders get better service. Any thoughts?

The modified proposal will discontinue the Q14 entirely and reroute selected Q15 trips to serve 150th Street north of the Cross Island Parkway in order to maintain service to the corridor.

To me the Q14, although short, is well patronized. Instead of discontinuing the Q14 how about merging the route with the northern branch of the Q34.

This makes more sense then simply eliminating the route. The Q14 becomes more useful and Q34 riders get better service. Any thoughts?

I'm on the fence about this one. This route may become too long and drawn out and unreliable like the Q34 is now

I totally agree....But because we're talking MTAB and NYCT it wont happen.

Is there no way around this? Seems like the two agencies interact quite a bit. Ive seen many MTAB buses on NYTB routes and vice versa. Can't MTAB eliminate the Q34 and NYCT then reroute the Q14 to operate over the old route.

I'm on the fence about this one. This route may become too long and drawn out and unreliable like the Q34 is now

.... the Q34 would just be eliminated and the Q14 will assume the route Operating between Whitestone and Flushing via Linden Hill. The Q25 could have a extra buses added to compensate for the loss between Jamaica and Flushing. Doesn't seem like the Q34 runs nearly as much as the Q25 anyway.

That was what I was thinking. They are only about a block apart until the end of the Q34s route. I don't think the Q34 would get too much more unreliable since the extension isn't that long. Maybe if reliability is an issue, the Q34 could have several trips going from Flushing north to Whitestone.

I think that the city reimburses the routes that run on MTA bus for the difference between the operating costs and the costs that are recovered.

I don't agree w/ what the MTA wants to do w/ those two routes.... nor do I think the Q34 should get extended to Whitestone...

part of the problem is the current hub & spoke system in Flushing, is rather antiquated (outdated)... There are as many routes as there are that pass through flushing b/c you had the NYCT routes, and the routes from the PBL's.... notice that the north/south routes that travel through flushing, don't end in flushing... Now that it's (supposed to be) all one system, changes can definitely be made...

anyway, if the point is to maximize the use of the routes in that type of system, IMO:

- Send the Q34 over there by the industrial part of (the western tip of) college pt., and end the Q65 in Flushing... No reason why the 65 should swing all the way from 164th, through flushing, and then onto the western tip of College pt.....

(Basically, the 25 & the 34 would serve different parts of College point.)

- Terminate the 14 (with the 13 & the 28)... Then have it run up linden place, on by the apt's @ 28th/139th (the same thing the 34 does in that area !), and then on up to Whitestone... if ridership is still an issue (which I'd doubt), send it over to the LeHavre apt's in Beechhurst (current Q15 terminal)....

- Extend the 15 to the apt. complexes in Bay Terrace...

(this would have it serve more of beechhurst)

- Eliminate the Q16. Both Branches.

- Send the Q26 (or rename the route, whatever) from it's current terminal along Hollis ct. blvd... through flushing via current route.... en route to Bayside high school (via 26th & 29th av's)..... You kill two birds w/ one stone in doing this; taking loads off the Q27 coming from the east, while absorbing the ridership of the current 16.... Currently, the Q16 & the 26 as standalone routes, aint cuttin it....

- The Q13, 25, & 28 can remain...

(the 13 would be the only bus that goes to Fort Totten... and however, due to an altered Q26 also serving that part of bay terrace, the headways of the Q28 would be reduced...)

Could you explain what you are doing with the Q26 a little bit better? According to Google Maps, Bayside High School is at 3510 156th Street, near 35th Avenue. How would it go into Bay Terrace? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying.

Also, if the Q15 were extended, would it be to replace part of the Q16 route?

<Q>34 is acts as A 25alternate once past 32ave and this line has A (H)eavy Ridership for those going from (J)amaica to (M2)ain st ,Now Willets Pt Residents rely on the 34 I think more than the 14 due to 31rd -Whitestone Exp SVC rd and 28ave .

©asey Stangel who already has our 6000's that they had first ,Is in very close contact with College Pt Depot and this talk about MTAB and NYCT as far as service can form and be one at any time ,Another words don't be

(S)hocked if you hear about Lines merging in the very near future.

<Q>14 needs to be looked at as far as Route description cuz the line has potential to be Extended or Run it along the <Q>16 Route (V)ia Bayside ave and Cont. to (J)amaica Sutphin to help out the <Q>16 <Q>44 <Q>20

I like to hear more on these thoughts.

Could you explain what you are doing with the Q26 a little bit better? According to Google Maps, Bayside High School is at 3510 156th Street, near 35th Avenue. How would it go into Bay Terrace? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying.

Also, if the Q15 were extended, would it be to replace part of the Q16 route?

Bro...

Bayside high school is over there on corporal kennedy & 32nd. (right where the Q28 turns off)

not sure where you got that other address from.... lol...

In any event, to clarify to you what I'm saying:

- The Q15 would have nothing to do w/ replacing the 16, but...

- ...in turn, that's the (exact) task of sending the Q26 to Bayside HS... to replace the (more used) portion of the Q16; along 29th || Bayside...

...and before someone brings it up, IMO, there's no point in replacing the Q16 east of Francis Lewis blvd b/c that is express bus country... there is a huge disparity b/w QM2/2a usage & Q16 usage, in Clearview.... Q16's are often empty, period... lol... but especially after Francis Lewis....

I think cutting the Q14 and replacing it with the Q34 is a good idea. Flushing riders who want Union St. can take the Q16, Q20 or Q44. If they want anything north of Union St. then taking the Q34 on Main St. isn't a problem for them. It also won't affect Q34 ridership coming from or going to Jamaica. The extension isn't a long one, and the Q34 runs every 12 minutes or so during rush hour so they'd only need 2-4 buses for the extension - those could be gotten from the Q14 once it would be eliminated. The (MTA) should look into this idea. The only problem with it is that the Q34 only runs during weekdays, and not during evenings. However if the (MTA) wants to eliminate the entire Q14 route as it is then that shouldn't be a problem. You should email the (MTA) and let them know about your idea.

<Q>34 is acts as A 25alternate once past 32ave and this line has A (H)eavy Ridership for those going from (J)amaica to (M2)ain st ,Now Willets Pt Residents rely on the 34 I think more than the 14 due to 31rd -Whitestone Exp SVC rd and 28ave .

©asey Stangel who already has our 6000's that they had first ,Is in very close contact with College Pt Depot and this talk about MTAB and NYCT as far as service can form and be one at any time ,Another words don't be

(S)hocked if you hear about Lines merging in the very near future.

<Q>14 needs to be looked at as far as Route description cuz the line has potential to be Extended or Run it along the <Q>16 Route (V)ia Bayside ave and Cont. to (J)amaica Sutphin to help out the <Q>16 <Q>44 <Q>20

I like to hear more on these thoughts.

Yep, those riders rely on the 34 b/c simply put, it's more reliable than the 14.... that's one (well, the main) reason why I think the 14 should be rerouted... instead of its current route, running up 149th... which is pretty much a dead draw....

I like how you put it too; it needs to be looked at, as far as route description... it currently runs down residential areas where the residents of that area barely even use the service... that is a problem in itself....

16 Fort Totten would be better off untouched to Main and back.

What's funny about that is, I've actually seen Q16's do that... run to ft. totten, with no layover whatsoever, back to flushing....

...and thanks to the :tup: of that 26 idea.

I think cutting the Q14 and replacing it with the Q34 is a good idea. Flushing riders who want Union St. can take the Q16, Q20 or Q44. If they want anything north of Union St. then taking the Q34 on Main St. isn't a problem for them. It also won't affect Q34 ridership coming from or going to Jamaica. The extension isn't a long one, and the Q34 runs every 12 minutes or so during rush hour so they'd only need 2-4 buses for the extension - those could be gotten from the Q14 once it would be eliminated.

Union st service belongs to the 20/44 anyway... those riders aren't looking to take the 14 or the 16 to get to union b/c they aren't near as frequent...

and yes, that extension won't affect 34 ridership... but it'll lengthen the wait times for anyone traveling b/w Jamaica & Flushing (underlying areas, inclusive) b/c buses are coming up from Whitestone... don't underestimate how long of an extension that is.... that's easily 15 minutes b/w willets pt. blvd & the triangle (terminal) over there on clintonville...

Bro...

Bayside high school is over there on corporal kennedy & 32nd. (right where the Q28 turns off)

not sure where you got that other address from.... lol...

In any event, to clarify to you what I'm saying:

- The Q15 would have nothing to do w/ replacing the 16, but...

- ...in turn, that's the (exact) task of sending the Q26 to Bayside HS... to replace the (more used) portion of the Q16; along 29th || Bayside...

...and before someone brings it up, IMO, there's no point in replacing the Q16 east of Francis Lewis blvd b/c that is express bus country... there is a huge disparity b/w QM2/2a usage & Q16 usage, in Clearview.... Q16's are often empty, period... lol... but especially after Francis Lewis....

When I typed it in I got thr address of Bayside Lutheran School. After I read your post, I checked again and got the address that you sent me. Thanks.

I think cutting the Q14 and replacing it with the Q34 is a good idea. Flushing riders who want Union St. can take the Q16, Q20 or Q44. If they want anything north of Union St. then taking the Q34 on Main St. isn't a problem for them. It also won't affect Q34 ridership coming from or going to Jamaica. The extension isn't a long one, and the Q34 runs every 12 minutes or so during rush hour so they'd only need 2-4 buses for the extension - those could be gotten from the Q14 once it would be eliminated. The (MTA) should look into this idea. The only problem with it is that the Q34 only runs during weekdays, and not during evenings. However if the (MTA) wants to eliminate the entire Q14 route as it is then that shouldn't be a problem. You should email the (MTA) and let them know about your idea.

The MTA right now plans to run some Q15s up 150th Street, across 7th Avenue, down Clintonville Street, across 10th Avenue and back to the current Q15 route. (See page 105 of: http://mta.info/news/pdf/NYCT_Revised_Service_Changes.pdf )

Would the Q34 be allowed to use the Q14 buses, since it is run by MTA Bus? I'm pretty sure they can, but I just want to be sure.

They are allowed to transfer buses between depots. However, since College Point's local fleet is exclusively CNG buses they would likely send the diesel buses on the Q14 from CS to a depot like West Farms and then send some of their Orion V CNG buses to CP.

I still dont see how this is going to work with MTAB and NYCT....The Unions seem to be a thorn in the MTA's side for any type of consolidation of Depots, Routes, Drivers etc....I mean isnt this why we have MTAB in the first place rather than everything NYCT....

While it makes loads of sense to replace the Q14 with the Q34

I dont see it happening until MTAB is NYCT whenever thatll be......

They don't have to merge the two routes. They can just cut the NYCT Q14 and then have the (MTA) Bus Q34 cover for the Q14 route - that wouldn't be an issue between the two unions because there's no routes being merged or transferred to another depot. Bus swaps between the two divisions isn't a problem.

I still dont see how this is going to work with MTAB and NYCT....The Unions seem to be a thorn in the MTA's side for any type of consolidation of Depots, Routes, Drivers etc....I mean isnt this why we have MTAB in the first place rather than everything NYCT....

While it makes loads of sense to replace the Q14 with the Q34

I dont see it happening until MTAB is NYCT whenever thatll be......

(T)he (M2)agic word is (MTA) ,They can and will do what they please

They don't have to merge the two routes. They can just cut the NYCT Q14 and then have the (MTA) Bus Q34 cover for the Q14 route - that wouldn't be an issue between the two unions because there's no routes being merged or transferred to another depot. Bus swaps between the two divisions isn't a problem.

(V)ery well put also swaps of buses cuz let's not forget who now has our CNG's ...(W)(F)arms for one and they are NYCT also (J)(G)leason also

I blv I also heard Kingsbridge has ours as well .

We had an assortment as well ,(W)e've had Casy's 100's Remember and to not forget what started this orion craze ,Those 5000's that JFK got ,those were QSC's along time ago so Swaps are A Big thing .

(T)he part where I'm lost ishow Casey St is using MTAB 6012 6013 etc in svc with Eastchester's logo and that too ,(E)astchester's RTS's what depot gave them those ?? With Lettering?/:tup:(K)<R>

(V)ery well put also swaps of buses cuz let's not forget who now has our CNG's ...(W)(F)arms for one and they are NYCT also (J)(G)leason also

I blv I also heard Kingsbridge has ours as well .

We had an assortment as well ,(W)e've had Casy's 100's Remember and to not forget what started this orion craze ,Those 5000's that JFK got ,those were QSC's along time ago so Swaps are A Big thing .

(T)he part where I'm lost ishow Casey St is using MTAB 6012 6013 etc in svc with Eastchester's logo and that too ,(E)astchester's RTS's what depot gave them those ?? With Lettering?/:tup:(K)<R>

Kingsbridge doesn't have the O5 CNGs. Also I think the Private companies were allowed to swap buses with each other since they were all under NYCDOT. ENY gave ECH the RTS's, IINM. BP also sent them 2.

But then you'd have the CS drivers ((NYCT)) complaining that your taking work from them, also if any senior drivers perfer picking the Q14 and giving it to CP ((MTA)Bus) in consolidation of the Q34....I just see the Unions being all over this one in protest....

Knightrider - (MTA) can do whatever it wants, except mergering redundant operations like NYCT and MTAB that would save a significant amount of money that the (MTA) is always crying for. Just saying.....

But then you'd have the CS drivers ((NYCT)) complaining that your taking work from them, also if any senior drivers perfer picking the Q14 and giving it to CP ((MTA)Bus) in consolidation of the Q34....I just see the Unions being all over this one in protest....

Knightrider - (MTA) can do whatever it wants, except mergering redundant operations like NYCT and MTAB that would save a significant amount of money that the (MTA) is always crying for. Just saying.....

I hear ya Lenny

That Q34 is a really unreliable route, plus it's the slower of the two Parsons/Kissena routes... But yeah as for why 6012 and 6013 have their Eastchester stickers, I'd said the same for 6137 and 6142 when they still had their Castleton stickers, 6145 just had the Casey Stengel sticker slapped over the old Castleton sticker last I rode it LOL

That Q34 is a really unreliable route, plus it's the slower of the two Parsons/Kissena routes...

That was my point if the Q34 would be extended. Sevice has to improve. Way more people will be relying the route once you extend it. The Q14 has higher ridership and better service north of flushing. Why eliminate the bus route that works?

Archived