2010 NBA and NHL Post Season Thread

Shortline Bus

To be fair, Jordan didn't actually push Russell. He created space. I consider that to be borderline (though I would be naive if I said that Jordan didn't get preferential treatment).

As for Miller, I'm glad I saw the replay. But even in a best case scenario, the Knicks wouldn't have beaten the Magic with Shaq and Penny. Shaq would own Ewing.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh, he created extra space w/ that shove; MJ had dude already setup for the crossover.... it would've been more embarrassing for Russell if Jordan simply crossed him over w/o the hand check, or w/e it's called nowadays....

far as a Knicks/Magic matchup back then, no doubt... that Magic team was one of the more complete teams I've seen in quite some time.... Shaq vs. Ewing would've been the obvious mismatch, but the backcourt (plus Dennis Scott) would've given the knicks trouble...

the pair of Nick Anderson & Dennis Scott were deadly; you couldn't guard them man-to-man (they were making 3's like FT's... lol), when you had Penny @ the point (who also had height; 6'7" or w/e he was) running circles around most PG's then...

so much so, it was what Antoine Walker & Paul Pierce (Celtics) tried to emulate, back when both of those cats were chucking up 3's all over the place on the Celtics back in 00/01, IINM...

the only equal matchup the knicks would have had, was @ the PF position, w/ Horace Grant vs Oakley....

Speakin on complete teams for a sec, Mark Cuban tried to construct a complete team w/ this year's Mavericks.... problem is, their biggest weakness is their play @ the center position.... and let's face it, Jason Kidd screwed up the nets chances for winning a ring... and probably this year's mavs chances as well.... Yeah dude posts triple-doubles like it's nothin, but I think people use that as a pass b/c it's known how poor a shooter this guy is.

I mean, guys like Rajon Rondo gotta work on his FT game, if he wants to be considered amongst the top tier PG's of the league today.... but outside of that, he's got a little shot.... he's already got the other skills it takes (although I can't stand the guy)....

some things have to be worked on... it's quite another when you get guys that appear as if they don't even try...

I even have to give Shaq credit for at least TRYING to improve his FT's; in his younger days, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn....

now guys like Rodman, just didn't give a shit... that was evident...

Yeah, that blogger basically recited the benefits of the "Jordan rules" to us....

Anyway, people had to have realized how corrupt the league was when Boston played the Lakers in the '08 finals last year... all the cheating that went on in that years playoffs (esp. in that western conf. finals when the Lakers beat the Spurs), alone, to get those two teams to meet, resulting in another LA/Boston 'old battle for good time's sake'... lol....

See, the difference b/w cheating in the MLB & cheating in the NBA is...

Stern & company isn't as out in the open with it....

--------

* The MLB = lets juice the baseballs... shit, let's even juice the god damn players !

in the end, the outcome is determined by those same players, though...

(and steve bartman.... lmfao)

* The NBA = ssshhhh... be quiet... see all those ticky-tack phantom calls in the last minute of 4th quarters; which causes that last minute to actually last 20 "real" minutes... I'mma let y'all in on a little secret... ready? it's a lil something called.....

POINT SHAVING !!!!!

The NBA uses it's refs to dictate/regulate the outcome of games... not even only regarding wins/losses, but by HOW MUCH the "favorite" team wins by....

It took a scandal by Donaghy to bring it all to the forefront, don't think for a second that's when it all started.....

I do agree that 'point shaving' is more widespread in the post season then the regular season and also to prevent more 4-game sweeps. In crucial game 6's and game 7's in NBA playoffs though i think Stern lets the teams play 'legit' though.

Prior to Stern becoming NBA boss, the first round of the NBA playoffs often did 'sweep' and blow out as America was just adjusting at that time to a league where majority of the players were Black and European born in the pre "Magic, Bird and Jordan' era. Not to mention a widespread cocaine problem leaguewide in the late '70s/early '80's as well.

That lead to horrible tv ratings and prior to 1982 the NBA Championship Finals games being on 'tape delay' with only the weekend games and games 6-7 being on 'live.''

After trailing most of the game, the Cavs return and win Game #1 of their 2nd round series tonight 101-93 and beat the Celtics.

Now my 2nd round NBA Picks with my projected winner in bold.

East

Cavs over the Celtics in 7 games. I think KG and the C's will make a last stand but i think a great 4-year run for the Boston crew that won the 2008 title is over. IF KG IS NOT PLAYING WELL, CLEVELAND WIN THIS IN 5 GAMES.

Hawks/Bucks winner vs Magic. No matter who wins their 1st round game #7 matchup, Orlando will win this series.

West

Lakers vs Jazz-LA in 6 games.

Spurs in 7 games over the Suns. Duncan makes a 'last serious' run at another NBA title.

Speakin on complete teams for a sec, Mark Cuban tried to construct a complete team w/ this year's Mavericks.... problem is, their biggest weakness is their play @ the center position.... and let's face it, Jason Kidd screwed up the nets chances for winning a ring... and probably this year's mavs chances as well.... Yeah dude posts triple-doubles like it's nothin, but I think people use that as a pass b/c it's known how poor a shooter this guy is.

I kinda disagree about that. I don't think the Nets would've made it to the Finals twice without Kidd. But I do think letting K-Mart leave was their biggest mistake as Carter could never replace him and just kept declining over the years.

I kinda disagree about that. I don't think the Nets would've made it to the Finals twice without Kidd. But I do think letting K-Mart leave was their biggest mistake as Carter could never replace him and just kept declining over the years.

Well, I'm basically getting at, if the nets had a PG w/ a far better shot than kidd's, w/ a similar, or equal skill set that he has, they probably would've won at least one of those two championships, or would have been at least in a better position to do so; I mean, out of those 2 finals, the nets only won two games total (both were against the spurs).... The PG is supposed to be the proverbial leader; the floor general, so to speak.... Sometimes I think he focuses more on grabbing boards, than scoring points, but that's neither here nor there....

not sayin it's all kidd's fault, but when defenses know a player isn't a scoring threat (especially a PG), they'll start locking down on the other scorers... which is exactly what happened when they played the Lakers... what happened in that series? Yep - an embarrassing finals sweep... IINM, I don't think the Nets ever led in any of those 4 games... Talk about exploitation....

Vince Carter was supposed to be the answer for the lack of (consistent) game-in, game out scoring those prior nets teams needed (he also brought more fans to the games, to boot).... See, the nets had scorers, but you never really knew who was gonna have that big night (scoring-wise) on a game to game basis.... RJ was that "interim" guy (lol) b/w the time when K-Mart started becoming injury prone, and before Vince came to the Nets.... and lets face it, RJ is not the type of player you want to help carry your team to a finals....

anyway, IMO, Vince pulled a Gary Sheffield (lol) b/c he simply wanted out... the 30-40 pt. games he was dropping, w/ no one else basically doing squat, got to him, most likely.... and to be honest, I couldn't blame him (just like the situation w/ D. Wade nowadays)... the days of "vinsanity" are long gone, but currently w/ the Magic, he's playing w/ mad heart... I say he has another 2 good years left before he calls it a career....

..and I absolutely agree that tryna short-change Kenyon Martin was the beginning & the end of the Nets having any type of (positive) relevancy in the league.... hell, Kittles eventually left for the stinkin clippers, don't get me started on Van Brick (Van Horn), and Alonzo Mourning was never the same player, after his kidney disease.....

hope I'm crystal (clear) with everything I said here....

B35 via Church, you are absolutely crystal clear. Thanks for the explaination!

Not to get too off topic but in terms of knowing the '4' major sports no one on the NYCTF understands it better imo than B35 via Church.;)

I admit I know more the history of the '4' sports NHL NBA MLB and NFL than know of today's current players.

Love to hear B35's via Church and Forest Glen's 2nd round NBA and NHL picks.:tup:;)

The 2nd round matchups are mostly straight forward with the higher seed being the favorite (with the exception of the Suns-Spurs series). I'm concerned about the conference finals. I want LeBron vs Kobe but in order for that to happen, the Cavs must be Orlando (and Orlando has a better all around team).

As we inch closer to the "Final 4' aka the Conference Championships in the '2' major winter team sports, some results for Friday's Night games 5/7/10.

NHL

The Flyers avoid a sweep and beat the Bruins in game 4.

NBA

The Suns lead 3 games to none over the Spurs as Phoenix blows out SA in game #3.

Back east in Boston, Lebaron goes crazy as the Cavs destroy the Celtics and take 2 games to 1 lead.

Anyone watching tonight (5/8/10) game 3 between Jazz/Lakers on ABC? I am suprised that a 2nd round game would be on prime time on 'free' tv. I thought that since ABC took over as the 'free tv' home for National NBA games 6-7 years ago. I thought ESPN and the NBA would be put on 'prime time' The Finals.

Or any other comments on the other 2nd round NBA and NHL games?

The Suns are one (1) win away from getting past the San Antonio Spurs and advancing on to the Western Conference finals. With a 3-0 lead, the Suns get the first of four chances tomorrow night in San Antonio.

Maybe a little weird:

* Game 1 at Phoenix Suns 111 Spurs 102

* Game 2 at Phoenix Suns 110 Spurs 102

* Game 3 at San Antonio Suns 110 Spurs 96

Wouldn't that be crazy if the Suns were to score 110 or 111 points in Game 4?

I won't watch the finals either way... but the NBA NEEDS the Lakers & the Cavs to meet in the finals... or else ratings is gonna take a hit.... anyway, (I) can't get on FG for wishing ill-will on a player.... when I did the same thing in this thread, although AGAINST LeBron.... although he didn't blow out his back, he did manage to injure his elbow or w/e...

I should open up a fortune telling spot somewhere in SoHo... lol....

Seriously though, I'm not paying attention to each of any of these games in the 2nd round (NBA)... everything I'm about to say/summize, is from what I'm gathering off watching the umpteen times SportsCenter comes on....

the Hawks are clearly outmatched (almost a 100 pt deficit. in their 3 combined losses), they have no answer for Dwight Howard, their shooters have gone ice cold....

I don't know what's goin on in the Suns/Spurs matchup whatsoever (those games come on too late for me to even care)... I see LeBron postin some serious numbers in the 2 games where the Cavs won so far (The Celtics & the way they're playing, look like they don't wanna be here).... and the Jazz are too young to pose any type of threat to the Lakers.....

In game #3 that just ended few minutes ago tonight 5/8/10 in a good match/ending, the Lakers beat Utah 111-110 to take commanding 3 games to none lead and all but assured another trip to the NBA West Division Finals vs the Suns.

So barring the biggest collapse in NBA history it looks like this is the NBA 'final 4.'

East Magic vs Cavs/Celtics winner

West Suns vs Lakers

Basically, it looks like a Cavs/Lakers finals matchup.....

I can't see the suns keeping up their offensive barrage against the Lakers... and although the Magic could make a series out of it, the Cavs actually have an answer for Howard....

The Cavs can't beat the Magic. The Magic are a balanced team. Lewis hits the 3's, Howard dominates the inside, and there's Vince Carter. The Cavs don't have as much depth (Antawn Jamison =/= Scottie Pippen). Hopefully the refs will call every little foul on Dwight Howard.

Although I don't see Howard dominating the paint vs. the Cavs, near as hardbody as he did in this Hawks series, I (still) agree w/ your assessment of the two teams....

However, the Magic can't beat LeBron & the refs (hate to put it like that)..... I should watch such a series just to see how many times LeBron would go to the foul line... and like you mention, how fast Howard would have to go on the bench, due to foul trouble....

Da Suns sweep! Da Suns sweep! Da Suns sweep! And at 107-101, da Suns missed by onny tree points from scoring 110 points in each game!

Tonight, da Suns rool! Bring on da Lakers! :P :tup:

Da Suns beat da San Antonia Spurs! Yay! :P

Life is beautiful!

Sunshine is guarenteed to da peepul! Yes, suh!

Da Suns sweep! Da Suns sweep! Da Suns sweep! And at 107-101, da Suns missed by onny tree points from scoring 110 points in each game!

Tonight, da Suns rool! Bring on da Lakers! :P :tup:

Da Suns beat da San Antonia Spurs! Yay! :P

Life is beautiful!

Sunshine is guarenteed to da peepul! Yes, suh!

While i picked the Spurs to win this series(damn picks lol :eek:)and thought this was 'even' going in w/ either the Suns or Spurs could win the series, i am surprised either team woul sweep the other.

He may play for another couple of more seasons, but this is the end imo of the best player imo of the first decade of the 2000's aka the 'post Jordan era" of Tim Duncan along with Tony Parker and crew, and any serious chance of him winning another NBA title.

Love to hear B35's via Church and Forest Glen's 2nd round NBA and NHL picks.

Yeh, I never posted them here on nyctf... Although it's too late for them to mean anything:

the Suns in 6

the Lakers in 5

the Cavs in 6

the Magic in 6

NHL:

Sharks in 6

Canucks in 7

Montreal in 7

Bruins in 5

--------------------------------

I was watching some of that Cavs/Celtics game today.... all of a sudden, I find myself rooting for the Celtics... the more I hear of (and see) LeBron, the more respect I lose for him.... See, when 'Bron & 'Melo came into the league, 'Melo was the one that needed to grow up (his envy of the fame LeBron was getting, comin out of HS, was clearly evident), and LeBron was more mature for his age....

5 years later, Carmelo matured (his attitude & his game), and Lebron's attitude has took a turn for the worst... he acts like a spoiled brat...... while I understand no one likes to lose, he's a sore loser...

Archived