2010 NBA and NHL Post Season Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a hockey team in Arizona?

Yup. Been there since they moved from Midwest Canada in 1996-97 when they were began as the Winnipeg Jets. About a year ago the Coyotes Owner became bankrupt and almost sold the team to a Businessman who wanted to take the team back to Canada. The NHL declined that deal brought it and now on verge of selling it to an Arizona Businessman. I am EE Local will explain more.

Here link for more info for the current NHL team in Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Coyotes

Thunder gave the lakers a run for there money but in the end the lakers will get through to round 2. However the Jazz seem like they will be a good match for the lakers, however Lamar Odom poses a big threat for the Jazz due to his size and ability to run like a point guard. I can see the lakers easily getting past them in 5 games.

Now on with the Cavs-Celtics Series that will be a good one. For some reason I just dont see the Cavs beating them. The Celtics are a much stronger defensive team. I just dont trust the Cavs. And even if they do beat them they will face the Magic who will beat them up once again.

Once again I see the Magic vs Lakers in the 2010 NBA Finals.

The only reason the Cavs look so good is because the east is such a weak confernce. Come on now we dont even know how good they really are playing against teams who is record just above .500 in the PLAYOFFS. The east you have the Hawks, Magic, Cavs, Celtics then everyone else who faught to get 5 through 8. The west you have the Lakers, Nuggets, Suns, Blazers, Spurs, Mavs, Thunder, Jazz. The Thunder is in 8th place with 50 WINS. And the Bulls is in 8th place with 41 WINS. Now you see why the Cavs went 61-21. I would love to see a Kobe/LeBron match-up but It wont happen. All this talk about LeBron being so good, sorry untill or if he ever gets a ring he will not be the greatest player. Kobe owns that along with MJ.

Slightly off topic, sorry! GojiMet86, Arizona is one region with the "Big Four": Arizona DiamondBacks (Phoenix National League 1998 -); Arizona Cardinals (Glendale 1988 -); Phoenix Suns (Phoenix 1968-1969 -) and Phoenix Coyotes (Glendale 1996-1997 -)

There's a hockey team in Arizona?

The only reason the Cavs look so good is because the east is such a weak confernce. Come on now we dont even know how good they really are playing against teams who is record just above .500 in the PLAYOFFS. The east you have the Hawks, Magic, Cavs, Celtics then everyone else who faught to get 5 through 8. The west you have the Lakers, Nuggets, Suns, Blazers, Spurs, Mavs, Thunder, Jazz. The Thunder is in 8th place with 50 WINS. And the Bulls is in 8th place with 41 WINS. Now you see why the Cavs went 61-21. I would love to see a Kobe/LeBron match-up but It wont happen. All this talk about LeBron being so good, sorry untill or if he ever gets a ring he will not be the greatest player. Kobe owns that along with MJ.

If the Cavs are bounced out of the playoffs, do you think it'll make LeBron's choice to leave easier or is he staying put there till he wins a championship?

Montreal Canadians Defeated the Washington Capitals from being down 3-1 in the series they came back to win an intense game 4-3 series finals ( GO HABS GO!

I am only a casual NHL fan but i think this is a big suprise as i thought the Caps and overchkin would at least get close to or make the Cup Finals.:confused:

The Habs barely made the playoffs as #8 seed and now beat the #1 seed in the Eastern Division.

Shows once again how the regular season in NHL and to certain degree NBA is not as important as MLB and mainly with their 16 game campaign, the NFL. Playoff upsets always seems to happen in Stanley Cup Playoffs more than the '3' other sports of NBA MLB and NFL because of the goalie. IMO the Goalie in Hockey is 2nd most important postion after Quaterback. Pitching 3rd.

If the Cavs are bounced out of the playoffs, do you think it'll make LeBron's choice to leave easier or is he staying put there till he wins a championship?

Its comes down to $$$ my friend:eek::confused:. At this point, I dont even Mr. James knows where he going right now. I say at moment there a 75-80% chance he stays in Ohio. Just Ratner and the Nets now have a Co Owner from Overseas, i think the Cavs Owners also now partners from overseas, I think a major Asian Businessman as well(forgot his name)

My gut is he more likely to leave if the Cavs does win the Title than for example if they lose in the East Finals to the Magic again. Winning the NBA title will make it easier for James to leave since he can tell Cavs fans 'mission accomplished.'

And if if LeBron leaves i do think the two NY area teams of either the Nets or Knicks is most likely he signs with.

That's true, I am not going to hold my breath if LeBron comes to the Knicks. I do kinda hope Wade does with Bosh. But the important thing is for the Knicks to not blow that $ for a David Lee who is ok, but not really worth a max contract. If they were willing to blow up this team this year, it'll be worth it 2 yrs down the line when other free agents are availible to get.

far as hockey playoffs is concerned:

We have another Jean-Sebastien Giguere (back when he was on the Ducks that year) on our hands this year, in Halak (that Habs goaltender)... I compare the two b/c both those goalies got hot @ the right time.... let's see how long Halak keeps this up.... I have to call this a major upset, as far as hockey goes... The capitals couldn't skate circles around the Habs like they've been doing to teams all season; didn't have a backup plan, and it showed - never got around to setting screens & throwing bodies in front the Habs goalie enough to create quality scoring chances.... ah well, at least Ovechkin's out.... Crosby still to go !

I'm embarrassed for the Devils... they pretty much threw in the towel after the 1st period of game 4 (so much so that the Flyers scored 4 unanswered in that same game.... and the Devils didn't even score in game 5)... the result, jacques lemaire (their.. former coach) resigned, and is talking about retirement.......

I'm surprised Phoenix gave the Red Wings a run for their money, forcing it to a game 7.... I was focused on this series the most.... I didn't panic@ all when Phoenix beat Detroit, @ Detroit in game 6.... b/c I knew the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes never won a game 7 in their history, and Detroit was having none of that.... scoring a barrage of goals to beat them, 6-1.... good offensive series....

far as my picks.... not the best, but close enough...

East Division

#1 Caps vs #8 Habs.... I picked the Caps in 6, the Habs won it in 7

#2 Devils vs #7 Flyers... I picked the Devils in 6, dam Flyers won it in 5 (they ousted the Rangers from possible postseason play, now the Devils in rd. 1... least there aint no more tri-state area teams left...)

#3 Sabres vs #6 Bruins... Right on the button w/ this one - Bruins in 6

#4 Pens vs #5 Senators... Right on the button again - Pens in 6

West Division

#1 Sharks vs #8 Avs... ah, so it took the Sharks one more game to beat the Avs... gotta give the Avs credit for taking/forcing this high caliber Sharks team to THREE overtime games in this series.....

#2 Blackhawks vs #7 Predators ... Yep, Blackhawks in 6, right again.

#3 Canucks vs #6 Kings... I picked the Kings in 7, the Canucks won in 6... either way, I couldn't get into this series... full of poor defense on both sides.. blown leads (esp. by the Kings)... Vancouver moves on.

#4 Coyotes vs #5 Red Wings.. I picked the Red Wings in 5, they won in 7.

I'll do the same type of recap once the 1st round of the NBA playoffs are done.

I think Lebron will stay with the cavs, but at the end of the day its money. Now the situation with Wade, I think he is gone. He has no one around him. Wade would be a good match in Philadelphia, but they wasted all there money on Brand which was a bust. But unless Miami magically gets some good people Wade will be history. Lets face it since 2006 they havent got past the 1st round.

Wade and Bosh on the Bulls might happen.

Dwight Howard was fined $35,000 for criticizing referees about the incessant foul calls he received. One blogger wrote that it's an elaborate conspiracy to ensure that Kobe and LeBron meet in the finals. Although I disagree, I found his post to be hilarious:

Well Well.....The NBA is not liking anyone trying to screw up its well thought out plan to have labron and koby meet in the finals. Stern is playing Dirty Harry so that no one messes this up for him. Last year he played Koby-Labron commercials 20 times a night during each play off game.....talk about making it obvious what your plans are and what you want to happen. The NBA pays for those commercials just so you all know. Why is it that D Howard all of the sudden became a magnet for foul calls this year? Here you have the defending Eastern Conference champs and the best Center in the world getting the respect of a first year free agent? I know that all you fans who have a team do not want to hear this but just wait until your team builds a high caliber team and you watch as the NBA does its best to cut the legs off it.

This league is the most corrupt sports league on the planet and everyone who has ever played basketball knows what is going on. Watch Labron run around the court plowing over people and mugging them when he plays defense and he rarely gets more than a few fouls called on him per game. What a joke you are Stern. The average fan sees it clearly and if Stern wonders why the NBA is in decline and it has way more people leaving as fans than any other sport. It is all about money and who can bring the most money into the league. That guy is the one the NBA will let get away with murder on defense and will not allow them to be touched on offense without a foul and two free throws. Do not you find it hilarious that a player can be horrible on defense but as he grows in popularity the NBA he is allowed to be more and more aggressive without calls being made on him.

Labron is a joke of a defender but his named is so big now that the league allows him to play mug me defense and now he is considered a great defender which is such a joke. He gets away with murder on defense and Labron runs over 5 players a night that have feet set and are out side the arc yet he only gets called for charging every once in a while, Labron should foul out of every game he plays in but he never gets i foul trouble. Why does labron reach and slap at the ball on defense more than any player on the planet but he never gets called for fouls. STERN IS CORRUPT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-has-to-pay-35-000-just-for-blogg?urn=nba,237611

Dwight Howard was fined $35,000 for criticizing referees about the incessant foul calls he received. One blogger wrote that it's an elaborate conspiracy to ensure that Kobe and LeBron meet in the finals. Although I disagree, I found his post to be hilarious:

Well Well.....The NBA is not liking anyone trying to screw up its well thought out plan to have labron and koby meet in the finals. Stern is playing Dirty Harry so that no one messes this up for him. Last year he played Koby-Labron commercials 20 times a night during each play off game.....talk about making it obvious what your plans are and what you want to happen. The NBA pays for those commercials just so you all know. Why is it that D Howard all of the sudden became a magnet for foul calls this year? Here you have the defending Eastern Conference champs and the best Center in the world getting the respect of a first year free agent? I know that all you fans who have a team do not want to hear this but just wait until your team builds a high caliber team and you watch as the NBA does its best to cut the legs off it.

This league is the most corrupt sports league on the planet and everyone who has ever played basketball knows what is going on. Watch Labron run around the court plowing over people and mugging them when he plays defense and he rarely gets more than a few fouls called on him per game. What a joke you are Stern. The average fan sees it clearly and if Stern wonders why the NBA is in decline and it has way more people leaving as fans than any other sport. It is all about money and who can bring the most money into the league. That guy is the one the NBA will let get away with murder on defense and will not allow them to be touched on offense without a foul and two free throws. Do not you find it hilarious that a player can be horrible on defense but as he grows in popularity the NBA he is allowed to be more and more aggressive without calls being made on him.

Labron is a joke of a defender but his named is so big now that the league allows him to play mug me defense and now he is considered a great defender which is such a joke. He gets away with murder on defense and Labron runs over 5 players a night that have feet set and are out side the arc yet he only gets called for charging every once in a while, Labron should foul out of every game he plays in but he never gets i foul trouble. Why does labron reach and slap at the ball on defense more than any player on the planet but he never gets called for fouls. STERN IS CORRUPT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-has-to-pay-35-000-just-for-blogg?urn=nba,237611

I am not sure about 'fixing' games but i do agree that the Refs give huge breaks on calling fouls to "elite' players in the NBA going back to days of "Russell, Walt "Clyde" Frazier Jerry West and Wilt" thru the '80's/90's of "Dr. J", "Magic & Bird' Jordan and now "Kobe and Lebraon." :confused:

I think Lebron will stay with the cavs, but at the end of the day its money. Now the situation with Wade, I think he is gone. He has no one around him. Wade would be a good match in Philadelphia, but they wasted all there money on Brand which was a bust. But unless Miami magically gets some good people Wade will be history. Lets face it since 2006 they havent got past the 1st round.

Wade and Bosh on the Bulls might happen.

True about LeBron.

Oh man I hope those two don't go to the Bulls. They've had their glory years with Jordan and Pippen. The Knicks needs them more. The team hasn't been the same with Ewing gone.

The only problem is with Montreal winning against the Washington Capitals is, without Jaroslav Halak we would not have one game 6 or game 7 each game Halak faced 45+ shots i belive which unfortunatly goes to show Montreal pretty much was on defense the whole game. the only thing Montreal is realying on right now is Halak making the saves. Montreal needs to step it up to win against pittsburgh

Without further delays my picks for the Conference semi finals in NHL.

My predicted winners in Bold.

East

Pens over the Habs in 6 games.

Bruins over the Flyers in 7 games.

West

Blackhawks over the Canucks in 6 games.

Red Wings over the Sharks in 7 games. Imo this is on paper the best matchup evenly between Det. and San Jose.

Until the Wings are beaten i never trust San Jose.

Great job by the OKC Thunder in 'scaring' the defending champion Lakers in forcing 6 games. However in last few seconds of game LA wins a close game last night and advance.

If he stays healthy, OKC's Mr. Durant looks like he on way of elite of becoming in at least top 10 of best basketball players on the planet.

While the Bucks and Hawks force a game 7 as that 'survior' will face 'superman' aka Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic in the NBA East Division Semifinals.

PS. IMO although he a lock 1st ballot HOF and arguably the best player in the NBA in the 'post Micheal Jordan' era Tim Duncan is no longer an 'elite' player and had a good few games in 1st round win for Spurs vs. Dallas.

Guest Charles

Atlanta plays terribly on the road, too many people overlooked Brandon Jennings and Salmons in Milwaukee and expected an Atlanta sweep or in 5. If Atlanta wins the series they will get killed by Orlando, Milwaukee may have a better chance playing the Magic.

I wasn't surprised that the Jazz won, they're one of my favorite teams and Jerry Sloan knows what he's doing, I expect them to make a run for the western Title.

Yeah, that blogger basically recited the benefits of the "Jordan rules" to us....

Anyway, people had to have realized how corrupt the league was when Boston played the Lakers in the '08 finals last year... all the cheating that went on in that years playoffs (esp. in that western conf. finals when the Lakers beat the Spurs), alone, to get those two teams to meet, resulting in another LA/Boston 'old battle for good time's sake'... lol....

See, the difference b/w cheating in the MLB & cheating in the NBA is...

Stern & company isn't as out in the open with it....

--------

* The MLB = lets juice the baseballs... shit, let's even juice the god damn players !

in the end, the outcome is determined by those same players, though...

(and steve bartman.... lmfao)

* The NBA = ssshhhh... be quiet... see all those ticky-tack phantom calls in the last minute of 4th quarters; which causes that last minute to actually last 20 "real" minutes... I'mma let y'all in on a little secret... ready? it's a lil something called.....

POINT SHAVING !!!!!

The NBA uses it's refs to dictate/regulate the outcome of games... not even only regarding wins/losses, but by HOW MUCH the "favorite" team wins by....

It took a scandal by Donaghy to bring it all to the forefront, don't think for a second that's when it all started.....

I remember when the Knicks and Bulls played each other in the 1994 Conference Semifinals (ie the year after Jordan "retired"). There was this dubious foul call that went in the Knicks favor. I guess the league decided that it would be embarrassing if the Knicks lost to the Jordan-less Bulls.

or the infamous reggie miller shove on greg anthony to hit the 2nd of two 3's in a row....

or the infamous MJ shove on bryon russell to hit that jumper around the foul line....

- reggie miller made a career of coming off screens, even shoving/elbowing/whatever, people to get his shot off... the man could not create his own shot for shit.... The league knew this....

hell, they embraced that phrase, and ran with it..

"It's Miller time", f*** outta here...

- and as for Jordan, no one can't honestly believe if the roles were reversed (Russell shoving Jordan to shoot that shot), russell wouldn't have been called for that offensive foul....

Archived