2010 NBA and NHL Post Season Thread

Shortline Bus

Is ESPN kissing the butt of Lebron? IMO yes. The new saga sweeping America of where Mr. James will spend at least the next 5 years or longer is a joke. His free agent saga has overshadowed both of the NBA Conference Finals series.

Can't Lebron hold a press conference to ask the media to not to guess until the NBA Finals are over?

Even last night during Lakers/Suns game broadcasted on Turner ESPN still focused on the Lebron soap opera?

ESPN/Disney Folks a news flash:o. Lebron is not Micheal Jordan and will never be so. Granted as a young player few years ago he might have been the most gifted basketball player to ever to enter the league. Yet he still might be a hall of fame player.

Jordan is like Wayne Gretzy, Joe Montana, Babe Ruth or Willie Mays they are once in a lifetime players you may never see again so get over it ESPN.:mad::tdown:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeh, I brought that up a few posts ago about Lebron west...

I was never all that fond of the guy to begin with.... he got far toooooo much hype comin out of high school; cats (on ESPN & other outlets) was comparing him to Magic Johnson then....I'm like GTMFOH with all that....

far as when I really couldn't stomach the guy... was when he started exhibiting traits of that of a sore loser; around last season....

* Don't know if y'all know this... but there was a clip that was "leaked", where lebron got dunked on, in some pick up game... Of course, he had that removed off the site it was leaked on (nike even got involved).... I saw the shit, and said to myself, the dunk wadn't even all that.. but of course, being "king" james, he can't have such footage surfacing of him not in the limelight.....

^^ for the non believers (or the inquisitive): http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4315071

Why is there a 3 day gap in between game 2 and game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals?

Mr. Wilson it's $$$ and being specific for TV reasons. David Stern and the NBA Owners want all of their NBA Finals games on 'free tv' and not be like the Stanley Cup Finals where only a few games are on 'free tv' in the US.

It also goes back to the early 1980's when Game #7 of the NBA Finals used to done by Memorial Day weekend. CBS which used to be the national TV home for the NBA for 20 years from about 1975-1990 would tape delay(the league was not that popular back in the 'pre Magic/Bird/Jordan' era)the prime time games and would only show 'live' the weekend and a final game #7 matchup.

CBS which was the #1 station in the ratings for many years did not want to postpone their hit shows of the era season finales like "Dallas" "One Day at a Time' "M*A*S*H* "The Jeffersons' to name a few.

So starting around 1981 or 1982 the NBA decided to extend their playoff series out by 2 weeks and thus the reason the conference finals can take forever to play. Now with ABC only showing ESPN"s coverage of the NBA Finals this is a way to make sure all of the NBA Championship Final Games are show live on 'free tv.'

Hope that explains it.

Another thing about ESPN/ABC NBA coverage. How in world is Magic Johnson still have a job as studio analyst/commentator? Although as a player he was one of the best in hoops history and also brilliant as a businessman, Magic imo is one of the worst analyst/commentaors i have ever heard on a major station like ESPN/ABC. Also Magic has been 'fired' twice by NBC and TNT/TBS before as well for sounding horrible.

Ditto for why Stuart Scott as a studio host on NBA and even on NFL broadcasts for Monday Night Football. I don't need a wannabe hip hop nba studio anchor go to BET for that. Why is someone like Mike Trico or John Saunders not the main NBA pre game studio host instead of Scott?:tdown: Not everyone watching the NBA is a 21 year kid that knows all of the hip hop slangs Scott says.

Only Mike Breen who also the Knicks announcer on MSG is a professional and one of the best Basketball play-play announcers in America right now is worth anything at ESPN.

The TNT crew of Marv Albert, Dick Stockton, Reggie Miller as the main game announcers and studio host of Ernie Johnson and Charles Berkley blows away the ESPN NBA announcing crew.

Love reactions from Nel B35 or Forest Glen?

Another thing about ESPN/ABC NBA coverage. How in world is Magic Johnson still have a job as studio analyst/commentator? Although as a player he was one of the best in hoops history and also brilliant as a businessman, Magic imo is one of the worst analyst/commentaors i have ever heard on a major station like ESPN/ABC. Also Magic has been 'fired' twice by NBC and TNT/TBS before as well for sounding horrible.

Ditto for why Stuart Scott as a studio host on NBA and even on NFL broadcasts for Monday Night Football. I don't need a wannabe hip hop nba studio anchor go to BET for that. Where is someone like Mike Trico or John Saunders not the main NBA pre game studio host instead of Scott?:tdown:

Only Mike Breen who also the Knicks announcer on MSG is a professional and one of the best Basketball play-play announcers in America right now is worth anything at ESPN.

The TNT crew of Marv Albert, Dick Stockton, Reggie Miller as the main game announcers and studio host of Ernie Johnson and Charles Berkley blows away the ESPN NBA announcing crew.

Agreed ESPN presentation of the NBA right down to the music is lame and TNT presents a far superior product especially Barkley. I wish TNT had the NBA finals.

Agreed ESPN presentation of the NBA right down to the music is lame and TNT presents a far superior product especially Barkley. I wish TNT had the NBA finals.

What a strange irony Nel is that ESPN does a much better job covering MLB(maybe their best sport they cover in terms of both production/announcers imo) and to certain degree they also very good in covering college basketball/football and the NFL as well.

TNT does an overall excellent job on the NBA and they should at least get a couple of game of the NBA Finals like how in recent years Versus gets the first 2 games of The Stanley Cup and NBC the rest of the series. Yet on sister station TBS their MLB baseball coverage is a horror show. For NBA fans what even more sad is that recently ESPN/ABC just signed a 5-year contract extension and will be the main tv home of the NBA until at least the end of the 2016 NBA Finals.

Also Nel was i correct in explaining to Forest Glen the strange tv schedule that the NBA semfinals and NBA Finals have had for at least the last 30 years?

What a strange irony Nel is that ESPN does a much better job covering MLB(maybe their best sport they cover in terms of both production/announcers imo) and to certain degree they also very good in covering college basketball/football and the NFL as well.

TNT does an overall excellent job on the NBA and they should at least get a couple of game of the NBA Finals like how in recent years Versus gets the first 2 games of The Stanley Cup and NBC the rest of the series. Yet on sister station TBS their MLB baseball coverage is a horror show. For NBA fans what even more sad is that recently ESPN/ABC just signed a 5-year contract extension and will be the main tv home of the NBA until at least the end of the 2016 NBA Finals.

Also Nel was i correct in explaining to Forest Glen the strange tv schedule that the NBA semfinals and NBA Finals have had for at least the last 30 years?

You are right the reason why they drag out the conference finals is dictatated by television and the networks not wanting the NBA finals to interfere with the important may sweeps which is the last Nielson book of the television season which will set the commercial rates for the fall season

You are right the reason why they drag out the conference finals is dictatated by television and the networks not wanting the NBA finals to interfere with the important may sweeps which is the last Nielson book of the television season which will set the commercial rates for the fall season

I am about 2-3 years younger than you Nel and i remember in the mid/late '80's the NBA Finals used to start either the Friday Night or Sunday afternoon of Memorial Day Holiday weekend on CBS. And going back to the early '70's when ABC oringally had the NBA TV contract in era of the great Knick-Laker Final series game #7 would be over by May 15.

It was only in last 15 years or so in mid 90's that the NBA Finals started the first week of June to avoid going on tape delay during the CBS years of most games and also most important avoid postponing season finales of hit shows as well.

I am about 2-3 years younger than you Nel and i remember in the mid/late '80's the NBA Finals used to start either the Friday Night or Sunday afternoon of Memorial Day Holiday weekend on CBS. And going back to the early '70's when ABC oringally had the NBA TV contract in era of the great Knick-Laker Final series game #7 would be over by May 15.

It was only in last 15 years or so in mid 90's that the NBA Finals started the first week of June to avoid going on tape delay during the CBS years of most games and also most important avoid postponing season finales of hit shows as well.

You are a 100 percent right Magic and Bird used to play every memorial day in game one of the finals remember in 1985 when the Celtics won by 30 or more and they called it the memorial day massacre.

Guest Charles

Whenever I hear the letters ESPN now I want to puke...

lol I just realized why are the Western conferences better than the East in both the NBA and NHL this year...

In the NBA I hope the Suns win for primarily three reasons:

1) I hate the Lakers

2) I'm all for the underdog story

3) Steve Nash is one good point guard (Too bad Deron's Jazz got eliminated by LA, Deron is the best in the NBA now, hands down)

The semifinals in both in the NBA and NHL is a bore. Especially the NBA in which i had to turn the channel. Watched little bit of the Celtics/Magic game #3 last night and man i am glad the Mets/Yanks was on.

Orlando had disappointed me not so much in losing(I thought no matter who won the series it was going 6-7 games no matter) as no team in NBA ever has come back from 3 games to zip down.

On other hand i am not shocked that the Suns/Lakers series will be ending in a few minutes. The Phoenix club while a good club urgently needs a Center or else Steve Nash and this core group of the Suns will never reach the Finals let alone win a NBA title.

In the NHL, i am little surprised the Hawks/Sharks other than a good overtime game #3 so far has been a Chicago series blowout. While the Philly/Montreal series it not a surprise. If Halak is not light out, this is a Flyers win.

Hopefully the Stanley Cup Finals and NBA Championship will be better played.

And Forest Glen a Boston/LA Final in NBA is not that bad.:confused:

Since it's been a few days since we talked on this topic some updates.

NHL Stanley Cup Championship

Flyers vs Blackhawks

Philly won their East Division in 5 games while Chicago won their series in a sweep although the Hawks was lucky and easily could have lost the last 2 games. Will make my pick in couple of days.

NBA

West Finals

I give the Suns credit of being down 0 games to 2 and come back to at least tie the series.

East

After going up 3 games to zero, can the Celtics become the 2nd Boston team to lose a series this year in that fashion? Or as B35 would say it's 'point shaved' related and don't want the Lakers/C's to meet in the NBA Finals after a 2 week layoff?

We shall see.

And we're nearly set!

In the N.B.A., the C's reach the Finals, defeating Orlando 4 games to 2. The C's await either the Lakers or the Suns.

(In basketball, the C's vs. Lakers is kind of like the Yankees vs. Dodgers in baseball)

In the N.H.L., it's the Flyers vs. the Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup. The Flyers have not won since their "Broad Street Bullies" days in the 1970's and the Blackhawks have not won since 1960-1961.

If the Blackhawks win, this will leave a three-way tie between the Maple Leafs, Blues and Kings for longest Stanley Cup win drought.

And we're nearly set!

In the N.B.A., the C's reach the Finals, defeating Orlando 4 games to 2. The C's await either the Lakers or the Suns.

(In basketball, the C's vs. Lakers is kind of like the Yankees vs. Dodgers in baseball)

In the N.H.L., it's the Flyers vs. the Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup. The Flyers have not won since their "Broad Street Bullies" days in the 1970's and the Blackhawks have not won since 1960-1961.

If the Blackhawks win, this will leave a three-way tie between the Maple Leafs, Blues and Kings for longest Stanley Cup win drought.

Not to mention EE Local that will leave the Leafs as the only 'oringal 6' team (*assuming the Hawks win this series vs Flyers)not to win a NHL title in the post expansion era.(since i think Toronto last won the cup in spring 1967.)

Stanley Cup Final Game #1

Blackhawks 6 Flyers 5 Chicago leads series 1 game to none.

NBA Finals set starting on Thursday

Lakers vs Celtics (again) Other than Lebron-Kobe this is actually the 2nd 'dream' matchup ABC/ESPN and most NBA fans everywhere could be happy with.

After a little break thought i bring this topic back as next few days we be crowning both a new Stanley Cup Champ for being the planet's best pro hockey team & also a new NBA Champion for world's best in hoops.:tup:B)

Stanley Cup Final

Tied at 2 games apiece as game 5 gets underway tonight 6/6/10 as i type this.

Who ever goalie's plays better in these last few games, that team will win the cup.

NBA Championship

If Boston does not win this game #2 tonight 6/6/10, the Lakers IMO win this series easy, maybe in sweep or more likely in 5 games.

Reactions?

Archived