Bus Operator Edwin Thomas

vera

theres two more buses that have it 5046 and some other one that i just cant remember right now but i think its 3 in total at the depot right now. I will check the yard dispatcher office for the exact numbers on thursday

I did saw RTS #5180 and #5046 today on the B41, I don't know what other RTS have the driver shield, and the only bus (non-RTS) to have the shield is LFS-A #1200 at the Gun Hill Depot. I talked to the driver riding on #5046 and he said that he is still exposed because there is an opening around the fare box.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything about a trial date yet. I have sincere doubts that the depot will be re-named in his honor. I was an operator there when Edwin was murdered. I went to the wake and the memory of that horrible week will stay with me for quite awhile. Edwin was a very nice person, always quick with a joke. He is missed by all who knew him.

The installation of partitions on some buses will do little to stop Bus Operator assaults. When a handicapped person boards through the front door, (on Hybrid buses, the operator must leave thew plexiglass enclosure to secure the wheelchair.This leaves the operator open to assault in the same way as if a partition were not there. I hope that no other operator is assaulted or, worse. We move the people of the City of New York every day & none of us deserves injury in the performance of our duties. We all try to be courteous & respectful to our customers but, there is a segment of our society that cannot be happy unless they are causing anarchy & chaos. Unfortunately, sometimes it winds up on our buses.(MTA)

But a w/c person boarding the bus is kinda rare. For the most part the partition should at least make drivers feel safer, doesn't it?

Totally agreed that it is a shame there are such scum walking the streets. The only thing that can be done is to deploy more cops in certain 'hot spots' so they can hopefully prevent such people from getting on the bus in the first place.

the killer got released on a technicality. they said because edwin got off the bus the killer was acting in self defense so they gave him a free metrocard and put him on medication. theres a plaque in the depot honoring him in the swing room.

It sickens me to think that while innocent (Not all obviously, but our justice system isn't perfect) people rot away in prison, this piece of **** is walking free.

But a w/c person boarding the bus is kinda rare. For the most part the partition should at least make drivers feel safer, doesn't it?

Totally agreed that it is a shame there are such scum walking the streets. The only thing that can be done is to deploy more cops in certain 'hot spots' so they can hopefully prevent such people from getting on the bus in the first place.

Yep.Like on the BX12 SBS.

What did he ever do that was so great to deserve his name as the depot name?

I take it you've never caught the B46!

I first have to tip my hat to bus operators because I know many who have been assaulted in different ways. Especially b/o's in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Harlem. I have caught the B46 more times than I can think about counting. As a Brooklyn native I've seen many incidents over the last 25 years that would make one cringe! I think renaming the depot is the least (MTA) could do! Driving can be a very dangerous job! I drove for Detroit, which is much worse than NYC. I remember several routes where the police would follow my bus because the passengers were so out of control!

Archived