Viewliner II News

DJ MC

Well let's see what will happen; if Alstom won the bid, and it goes well, we may be seeing more Viewliners on more long-distance routes in the future; if not,... well, we'll see.

Since Viewliner II is proposed, why not propose Amfleet III (tentatively), too (this will most likely be way far in the future, though)?

They better take this. Plus remember they have built a lot of railcars including high speed train sets and the Amtrak Surfliner/California cars. Alstom go for it.
Amtrak is in talks of replacing a shit load of railcars and locos.This is serious opportunity for Alstom and other companies to really make some serious dough.

• 2 months later...

Will they be big ugly stainless steel cars or will they be more attractive like our European and Asian Counter parts? Maybe we should just scrap Amtrak already and form Regional Agencies , like Northeast Railjet or Midwest Intercity services.

IDK much about CAF other then the fact they are the ones making the cars. I also heard that Amtrak is going to produce another contract sometime this year to order new electric engines to replace the aging (I don't think they are that old) and troublesome AEM-7s and I also heard HHP-8s.

Why are the replacing there fleets and not there NEC? :mad: I know they have a plan , but it targets 2030 for completion date. Its absurd at best , should be more....:mad: Faster and built in less.....The AEM-7's have to go , they need newer fleets but form who? Unlike Transit agencies they have to buy America. GE doesn't make Electric locos , so who will they buy form. HHP-8s are good. Amtrak should buy EMU's for Northeast Regional.

Why are the replacing there fleets and not there NEC? :mad: I know they have a plan , but it targets 2030 for completion date. Its absurd at best , should be more....:mad: Faster and built in less.....The AEM-7's have to go , they need newer fleets but form who? Unlike Transit agencies they have to buy America. GE doesn't make Electric locos , so who will they buy form. HHP-8s are good. Amtrak should buy EMU's for Northeast Regional.

I don't know what you know about HHP-8's but they aren't good at all. You'll find an HHP-8 on the lead of most of the breakdowns on the NEC. Sure the AEM-7's break down as well but they are actually more reliable than the HHP-8's.

I heard the ALP 46 are to weak , Amtrak needs more powerful locos. For Amtrak Regional they should buy Dual Diesel - Electric locos and replace the Downeaster with Amtrak Regional. They also should make there cars more appealing. For the Acela which i heard is being replaced ,they need to purchase longer train sets like the Japanese use. I heard that Amtrak wants to expand Electrification does anybody have a timeline for that , i know that other agencies plan on doing it.

I heard the ALP 46 are to weak , Amtrak needs more powerful locos.

Where did you hear this from? ALP-46's haul 8 to 10 car trains of bilevels everyday at up to 100 MPH. The new ALP-46A's can do 125 MPH. These locos are far from weak.

For Amtrak Regional they should buy Dual Diesel - Electric locos and replace the Downeaster with Amtrak Regional.

Impossible. The Regional terminates at BOS and the Downeaster terminates at BON. Through-routing the Regional up to New Hampshire and Maine would cause stupidly long delays in Boston, because they would have to go through the Grand Junction line, which wasn't even designed for passenger service. Trains would have to go all the way to BOS, switch to the Boston & Albany Line, change ends and head out CSX's Beacon Park yard backwards, change ends again, traverse the Grand Junction line at 10 MPH(or a whopping 25 MPH if the MBTA decides to upgrade the line), pull all the way into BON, change ends for a third time, and then finally head on out it's merry way to Maine backwards.

I was told by an Amtrak buff ,that Amtrak wants something = to a HHP-8. The ALP 46's Series isn't strong enough. Amtrak wants to electrify more in New England and reroute the Northeast Regional to North Station since South Station is or will reach capacity sometime this decade. The Dual units can then leave North Station and go up to Portland.

4687269295_248f8c6f0c_b.jpg

I was told by an Amtrak buff ,that Amtrak wants something = to a HHP-8.The ALP 46's Series isn't strong enough.

A buff told you that? Please tell me how a buff is reliable at all. Until you can provide a statement from an actual Amtrak or Bombardier employee, I'm calling bullshit on your statement.

Amtrak wants to electrify more in New England and reroute the Northeast Regional to North Station since South Station is or will reach capacity sometime this decade. The Dual units can then leave North Station and go up to Portland.

I completely 100% understand that the Downeaster's route is not electrified and will require diesel power. However, did you not read what I posted? The issue isn't that trains can't go from BOS to BON. Deadheaded trains make that move every day. The issue is that going from BOS to BON is too slow. To through-route trains through Boston, trains would have to change ends 3 times. The picture you posted doesn't counter my argument at all. In fact, the diagram of the Grand Junction line only reinforces my argument.

I was told by an Amtrak buff ,that Amtrak wants something = to a HHP-8. The ALP 46's Series isn't strong enough.

Yeah yeah, in case you haven't noticed, Bombardier is more than capable of supplying a 6400 kW locomotive. they are already producing the HXD3B's for china, which are Co'Co' locomotives featuring a 9600 kW transformer and six MITRAC DR-3800 traction motors rated at 1600 kW a piece. the ALP-46A can simply be re-rated with a 6400 kW transformer and DR-3800 traction motors.

Does this Amtrak buff work for Amtrak in anyway?

Insider , works with RR's all over the world.

that's what AMTRAK's planning to do. initial 20 locomotives with a 40 loco option.

Ah , but before they buy these New Electric locos we should overhaul the system. Its kinda stupid to buy New Electrics and not have the proper wires and tracks to run them on. You have to agree that the NEC is failing.

Yeah yeah, in case you haven't noticed, Bombardier is more than capable of supplying a 6400 kW locomotive. they are already producing the HXD3B's for china, which are Co'Co' locomotives featuring a 9600 kW transformer and six MITRAC DR-3800 traction motors rated at 1600 kW a piece. the ALP-46A can simply be re-rated with a 6400 kW transformer and DR-3800 traction motors.

Hmmmm, idk he said they weren't powerful enough ,a few other rail fanners told me the same. I asked a few engineers the same question, they said the same thing. Maybe a more Power ALP 46A or something else. He told me it would better if Amtrak replaced Amtrak Regional with EMU's like they use in Japanese. 14 car trains , 2 locos and 1 middle Pantograph. He said Amtrak should also make the Acela longer , and he said if Amtrak did this they can get there bang for there buck. And reduce prices. But you know how Amtrak is.......they don't even allow private investors to invest into the NEC:mad:

Archived