M1 Double Decker Bus

error46146

Somebody explain this for me please lol

There were 8 of those buses, numbered D1-D8, given to NYC in 1976 as a gift from the British government. D1-D4 were painted in "two-tone blue"while D5-D8 were red/white/blue. There were initially assigned to the 132nd Street Depot for the M4 and M5. At the time, I lived along Riverside Drive and rode them on the M5 to and from junior high school (which gives a sense of my age!).

Unfortunately, they quickly fell into disrepair because the Irish-born maintainers refused to touch British-made buses. They were moved to 146th Street Depot and used exclusively on the M1.

After a few years, the buses were sold to Grey Line of San Francisco.

There were 8 of those buses, numbered D1-D8, given to NYC in 1976 as a gift from the British government. D1-D4 were painted in "two-tone blue"while D5-D8 were red/white/blue. There were initially assigned to the 132nd Street Depot for the M4 and M5. At the time, I lived along Riverside Drive and rode them on the M5 to and from junior high school (which gives a sense of my age!).

Unfortunately, they quickly fell into disrepair because the Irish-born maintainers refused to touch British-made buses. They were moved to 146th Street Depot and used exclusively on the M1.

After a few years, the buses were sold to Grey Line of San Francisco.

wow the irish and british really to their feud to that level?

Way back in the Fifth Avenue Coach days, they had plenty of double deckers running (built by GM - Yellow Coach Division). There is a survivor in the TA's museum fleet. They are probably a bit lower than the Leylands. If you were 6 feet tall, you had to duck your head a bit inside.

If I recall, they ran up until the early 1950's.

Archived