Weird Speaker Sounds

Robert Bosco

Often times I hear this odd sound coming from the speakers on the R68's... kind of like a prolonged "eeeehhhhh." It's almost as if the conductor has his finger on the speaker button, and doesn't let go, even after he stopped making announcements. I even heard that sound today on the (E), R32.

I know exactly what your talking about. I hear very often on almost all the R68's that run on the (N). It does sound like the C/R holding down the talk button on the PA.

There's also another weird low pitched sound coming from the train itself. It sorta sounds like a sheep (yes the animal) crying out. You have to kinda listen closely to really hear it. You can hear on a train where everyone's quiet.

I know exactly what your talking about. I hear very often on almost all the R68's that run on the (N). It does sound like the C/R holding down the talk button on the PA.

There's also another weird low pitched sound coming from the train itself. It sorta sounds like a sheep (yes the animal) crying out. You have to kinda listen closely to really hear it. You can hear on a train where everyone's quiet.

If you really want to hear the "sheep noise," take the Brighton Line, and stand on a platform at Avenue J (or a station resembling that one)...when a R68 on the opposite platform pulls out, u can hear the sheep noise for some time, long after the train has already departed.

Often times I hear this odd sound coming from the speakers on the R68's... kind of like a prolonged "eeeehhhhh." It's almost as if the conductor has his finger on the speaker button, and doesn't let go, even after he stopped making announcements. I even heard that sound today on the (E), R32.

I hear those sounds too somethings.

you mean like a buzzing sound?

I know for a fact it happens on the R68. I rode one out to Brighton Beach last summer and the whole way there it was just "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." which was quite annoying. I was almost ready to get out and wait for another one, but I persevered.

Archived