Car Crash Stops Subway Service

Trainspotter

Car Crash Stops Subway Service

A car crashed through a chain-link fence, plunged roughly 30 feet onto subway tracks and burst into flames in Brooklyn early Saturday, disrupting service on the (N) line for several hours, authorities said.

The accident occurred yesterday just before 5 a.m. at 63rd Street and 15th Avenue at the New Utrecht Avenue station, where the (D) and (M) lines connect with the (N).

The tracks there are below street level but not covered. The car went over the sidewalk, landing on the Manhattan-bound tracks and catching fire.

The driver, who was not immediately identified, was taken to Lutheran Medical Center and was in stable condition, the police said.

A firefighter, who said he helped put out the flames, said that when he arrived at the scene, the car had flipped over. Afterward, he said, there was “nothing left but the metal.”

Service on the (N) line was suspended in both directions between 36th Street and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, but was restored by 8:30 a.m., said Paul J. Fleuranges, a spokesman for New York City Transit. He said the tracks were not damaged.

Damn, just amazing. Imagine a train coming into the station and right before the car hits the ground, the train comes and totally smashes it. God forbid that happens though.

I could see if it were a railroad train, which is made to standards for that. I don't the end caps on a subway train is though. Sad thing is I wanted to go there to get away from the idiotic driver on the road, and what happens. A car end up in the subway, lol. Guess there's no escape from them.

I could see if it were a railroad train, which is made to standards for that. I don't the end caps on a subway train is though. Sad thing is I wanted to go there to get away from the idiotic driver on the road, and what happens. A car end up in the subway, lol. Guess there's no escape from them.

Maybe he thought he was going to miss his train and couldn't find a parking spot right away?

Archived