Can you use unlimited metrocard on LI Bus

Burrstone

When I email Long Island Bus about 7-Day Express Bus Plus Unlimited MetroCard, Long Island Buses does not accept it except for regular Unlimited MetroCard like 7-Day, 14-Day, 30-Day Unlimited MetroCard, well as Pay-Per-Ride.

Please note if you transfer from HART, City of Long Beach, SCT, ask for transfer slip and you have to paid step up fee.

Long Island Bus is only bus system that doesn't accept $45 7-Day Express Plus Unlimited MetroCard.

NY's Long Beach has its own TA?

It does. Long Beach is one of those beach towns big enough to warrant its own bus service. I don't know if anyone actually rides it, but a former LIB route (N69) was given to Long Beach Bus some time ago.

I've never had any experience with anything other than the omnipresent Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard, except for some girl that had one of those funky MetroCards with LIRR tickets on the back. I wonder how many train rides that bought her. She'd just show the back of the ticket to the B/O and they'd let her on...

Yes! Fare is the same with the exception of Student which has to pay.

BTW many rumors have been spread about LIB charging $3.50 for service, its plain garbage, Pay-per-ride $2.25!

That wouldn't make too much sense. The average Staten Island route cost (before the service cuts), according to my calculations, $2.53 per passenger on weekdays and $2.48 per passenger weekends. The average LI Bus route cost (before the service cuts) $2.55 weekdays, $2.47 Saturdays, and $2.30 Sundays, according to http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100125_1617_service2010-libus.pdf . If the MTA can charge Staten Island bus riders $2.25, they can charge LI Bus riders $2.25. The only reason that wouldn't work would be since Nassau County refuses to pay their share of their services.

During school days, Long Island Bus gives $2.00 ride in coins or Student MetroCard issued by Nassau County which is blue. Purple card require payment of $1.80.

these are the new fares for students at oin june 28th 09

Base Fare $2.25

Reduced-Fare

(Seniors age 65+ and disabled) $1.10

Students with school identification $2.00

Change in Senior Status

Senior citizen discount will now begin at age 65. Cash fare customers show Medicare or Reduced-Fare MetroCard as ID. Local IDs such as the Nassau County leisure pass will no longer be accepted.

Transfers

The 25¢ charge (10¢ for seniors/disabled) for cash transfers is eliminated.

Cash fare paper transfers are now accepted for travel between LI Bus and NYCT or MTA Bus local routes.

Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard Bonus

A 15% bonus is added to your MetroCard with the purchase or addition of $8 or more.

Able-Ride Fare

$3.75 (one way).

The cost of an Able-Ride 20-trip book is $75.

Fare Information

Exact fare is required. MetroCard and/or coins, Uni-Ticket, Unlimited Ride MetroCard, Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard, and Fun Pass are accepted.

Call 1-800-METROCARD (outside NYC) or 1-212-METROCARD (in NYC), or visit http://www.mta.info

Reduced Fare, Senior Citizen & Disabled

Seniors age 65 and older, and disabled persons, pay a reduced fare with proper ID. Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) ride at no charge traveling with eligible disabled customers. Seniors and disabled customers with a Reduced-Fare MetroCard receive discounted fare and free transfers.

Student & Child Fare

Students with a LI Bus Reduced Fare ID MetroCard pay a discounted fare. Transfers to connecting routes are free upon request after paying the fare. Children 44” tall and under ride free with fare-paying adult; limit three children per adult.

Transfers

Transfers are free for both MetroCard and cash fare customers. Transfers are valid for two hours on connecting routes only (See timetables).

• MetroCard transfers are automatically included. Cash fare customers must request a transfer upon boarding.

• A single MetroCard transfer is allowed on up to two connecting LI Bus routes, one NYC Transit bus, one subway route, or one MTA Bus local route.

• Cash fare transfers are only valid on connecting LI Bus, NYCT local, or MTA Bus local routes. A second cash fare transfer must be requested to board a third LI Bus.

• A step-up charge applies for transfer to LI Bus from a non-MTA transit service with a lower base fare.

http://www.mta.info/libus/bus_info/fare.htm

I'm assuming that any student can ride LI Bus at the reduced fare ($2.00), regardless of if they live near school, or if they take a yellow school bus.

Wikipedia says that there are free Student MetroCards issued in Nassau County. I guess that that would be for students who age out of yellow school bus service. I doubt that they would make the student pay if they had no other way of getting to school.

I'm assuming that any student can ride LI Bus at the reduced fare ($2.00), regardless of if they live near school, or if they take a yellow school bus.

Wikipedia says that there are free Student MetroCards issued in Nassau County. I guess that that would be for students who age out of yellow school bus service. I doubt that they would make the student pay if they had no other way of getting to school.

I was thinking about removing that from the WP article, it didn't sound right to me.

I think the school has to issue the card, I have to pay full fare when I take the bus, even though I'm a HS student.

On the mta.info website that you posted, it said $2.00 with school-issued ID. Do schools on LI give out school IDs to everybody or just people who live further than a certain distance? My school gives out IDs to everybody, and then issues Student MetroCards to people who qualify for them, so I assumed that schools in LI had it the same way.

By the way, what kind of discount is $0.25? If a student bought a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard on their own, it would cost $1.96 per ride when you count the bonus. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't students pay half fare instead of 8/9 of the fare?

On the mta.info website that you posted, it said $2.00 with school-issued ID. Do schools on LI give out school IDs to everybody or just people who live further than a certain distance? My school gives out IDs to everybody, and then issues Student MetroCards to people who qualify for them, so I assumed that schools in LI had it the same way.

By the way, what kind of discount is $0.25? If a student bought a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard on their own, it would cost $1.96 per ride when you count the bonus. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't students pay half fare instead of 8/9 of the fare?

LIB dont have half fare so going through all that is a waste for .25 cents..

The passes are issued by the school either free or a 2.00 ride. i will assume that it goes by a factor of things for the students parents income ,distance etc..

Archived