The 3rd Avenue L train. Closed in 1955.

Santa Fe via Willow

Well they would move to outer Long Island. Upstate New York and nearby New Jersey. They are going to spread out.

Eventually people are just going to reach a point where the commute will be too long, the transit/highways too crowded, the green space insufficient, and pollution too great. This will be when people stop coming in and start moving out.

Back on topic...............

Demolishing the 3 Av El before the SAS was built was a mistake. I hope such irrational planning doesn't happen again.

Wouldn't El's be the easiest way to extend the NYC Subway. It's easier. It's a much cheaper option. When I read it up El's aren't really that expensive to construct per mile. The only thing I am worried is it would lower real estate value in a lot of locations. Though the locations that weren't served before are served. They would have to dig to bedrock and anchor big steel beams on both sides of the structure and pour concrete for the base. Follow by a steel plate screwed to two sides of the 2 beam. Then they could build plates on the top and put the rail lines, stations and equipment. It's better then drilling and digging for years.

I worship outside/elevated trains. They do provide nice scenic views unlike trains in dark underground tunnels. ...its nice seeing where you are going.

They should make some of the 2nd Ave outside and extend it to the Bronx.

I wonder why elevated/outside trains are called "subway" if they technically are not...?

I worship outside/elevated trains. They do provide nice scenic views unlike trains in dark underground tunnels. ...its nice seeing where you are going.

They should make some of the 2nd Ave outside and extend it to the Bronx.

I wonder why elevated/outside trains are called "subway" if they technically are not...?

They are just subways that got extended above ground.

EDIT: Eric B beat me to it.

Archived