R36 Preservation, Inc.-nonprofit organization to restore #9400 & 9401

R36 Preservation

R36 Preservation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization established to restore and preserve the the R36 cars 9400 and 9401 at Corona Yard on the IRT #7 Flushing Route. We hope to restore these cars and run special event and charter service one day. As you may know, #9400 and 9401 are the last Westinghouse R36 units of their kind, in more or less original stock condition (excluding paint, air conditioning and some rewiring), with the Westinghouse controllers, motors, doors, electrical and "SMEE" braking equipment bascially the same as originally delivered in 1964. This makes them the last "redbirds" in original form.

While our organization is not yet 501©3 certified, we hope to do so some time in 2011. Check our Facebook page for more details for future fundraising programs and events and don't forget to add us. You can shop at our official store.

Sincerely,

R36 Preservation, Inc.

Founder and and Executive Board

Aside from the fact the Transit Museum will probibly be getting that pair, the MTA would never in a million years let a start up group like you loose on thier system. If you want to help that badily, hook up with Railway Preservation corp.

This is what I hate about people Like You, Have Respect for People who wants to reserve these Cars, Im Happy that these people are going to try to help reserve that R36WF Pair, stop trying to be a Smart Ass and be greatful that you have a group of people that are willing to work on these History Making Cars, so stop sucking the (MTA)'s ass and be greatful.

and PS F*&k the (MTA), They waste their Money on stupid shit, why don't you go to madison ave and tell them why they spend money on Bullshit, Other than That SFTU and stay in your Place.

STFU loser. I will not be spoken to that way.

We have over a dozen already saved SMEEs in working condition in the museum Fleet. The cost of this bunch saving one car, late alone two, and then being allowed to run it, is impossablely expensive. I'm not not kissing anyone's rear, I'm being a realist. The insurance alone to run a charter would be sky high.

I used to WORK for the museum. I know the guys who maintin the retired fleet. It's not an easy task. I speak from experince. I used to come into work and half the light bulbs on the Triplex would have blown out overnight. 9306 makes this annyoing squeck every time you walk into it.

Who the in The Hell you calling a Loser, Don't start Please don't start, Becasuse you won't be saying that to my face, and yeah it costs alot but its worth it, We The Railfans and other regular People Pay to go on these Trips, That Money WE Pay goes to the Museum, so what are you saying, That Pair is Apart Of History, They Have Tons Of SMEE PARTS for those Cars so yeah I wouldn't cost as much, The Only thing the Train needs is Body Work.

I would say that to your face. I'm not afraid of you. Heck, I'd insult the president to his face.

you started by getting in my face. I know what I'm talking about, I've worked in the feild in question. I know this ins and the outs. So shut it and stop bothering me, I'm up to my waist in foam already. If we saved everything remotly historic, there would be no room for anything else. The MTA is not going to give them that R36 pair. They would never allow them to run charter trips on the system with them.

How do you Know, They do have the room, Its sitting in corona Yard, You have a Ton Of redbirds that Are just sitting there, They Can't get rid of them, hell they have cars like R12,14 and 22 that has been sitting in 207th for years that looks like total shit, you have subway cars that are dead that are just sitting there, If they want to work on the R36's let them, Passengers Pay their Fare, Us Railfans Pay Way f**king more so yeah, this is a token of being heard, so yeah Im greatful, Im happy that they are willing to fix these cars up, If you are agansit railfans, Why in the Hell are you on this site, As Much as I would love to work on museum cars, I can't because of personal problems, These Cars were apart of the 1964 Worlds Fair, so yeah these are very important cars and yes there is 10 more that are planned to be worked on. so yeah That's why Im getting on you, yes its a pain in the ass, but you couldn't handle it so let others do the job.

We need to be realistic. Ideally, I'd like to see as much preserved as possible. However, sad to say, we have to pick and choose what to save, due to many reasons. Is your goal to preserve them as they are, or do you wish to restore them to their 1964 appearance? IMHO, all the preserved WF R-36's should be repainted into their 1964 turquoise and cream color scheme. As a note, the first time I ever ran a train in passenger service, I ran from WF R-36 9519 painted in it's original color scheme, on a #3 train from 148th Street and Lenox.

I don't mean the rude comments but when someone complains about a Pair of cars that are apart of history then something's wrong, Im glad that they are doing this, I used to ride those Cars as Much as the R32's growing up, They are apart of History and Queens always step foot when it comes to history.

While we're all passing the bowl...has anyone from this "organization" actually gotten permission from the TA to work on the cars?

My guess is no, I'll have to ask around a bit to see if anyone at the TA knows that people plan to some how do work on these cars.

While we're all passing the bowl...has anyone from this "organization" actually gotten permission from the TA to work on the cars?

They're not looking to restore the cars. They're looking to fundraise for the restoration of the cars. I looked at their site. That's fine though.

This is what I hate about people Like You, Have Respect for People who wants to reserve these Cars, Im Happy that these people are going to try to help reserve that R36WF Pair, stop trying to be a Smart Ass and be greatful that you have a group of people that are willing to work on these History Making Cars

For once I'm actually going to agree with you on these boards. Any serious effort with good intentions gets my respect. To Kamen Rider, no need to bash them for trying. A lot of now large museums and organizations started as fledgling groups years and years ago that had a good idea and figured it out. Don't knock a serious effort, if it's really serious.

That said, my response to the OP will appear below.

R36 Preservation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization established to restore and preserve the the R36 cars 9400 and 9401 at Corona Yard on the IRT #7 Flushing Route. We hope to restore these cars and run special event and charter service one day. As you may know, #9400 and 9401 are the last Westinghouse R36 units of their kind, in more or less original stock condition (excluding paint, air conditioning and some rewiring), with the Westinghouse controllers, motors, doors, electrical and "SMEE" braking equipment bascially the same as originally delivered in 1964. This makes them the last "redbirds" in original form.

While our organization is not yet 501©3 certified, we hope to do so some time in 2011. Check our Facebook page for more details for future fundraising programs and events and don't forget to add us. You can shop at our official store.

Sincerely,

R36 Preservation, Inc.

Founder and and Executive Board

OK I'm glad to hear you are interested in preserving cars. That said, I will give you a few pointers for advice:

-Get tax exempt charitable organization status as a 501©3 as soon as you can. You will not have an easy time getting donations if contributions to your group are not tax deductible for the donor.

-You mentioned an executive board. Form one with at least 5 members and establish a way of making decisions (ie a simple majority vote? 2/3 majority?) and procedures. Without this, you will be prone to infighting and bullshit which has doomed (and continues to harm) many a charitable organization, and many a railway preservationist effort.

-Keep track of every dollar you receive and spend. Nonprofits must ensure that donations received are applied for the specific purpose the donor requests. That also means separating donations into "funds" which can only be drawn on for the specific purposes of the donor's request.

-Take a large sum of money that you are using to start your organization, and put it in SAFE investments. This is your endowment and it will generate income for the rest of your organization's existence. NEVER EVER take money out of the endowment. You can add to it later if you like, but never take out of it, not even the part you add (if you choose to do so).

-Start looking into some sort of property that you can acquire for the cars. I'm not trying to be a downer, but getting NYCT to let new non-employees into the yards to work on the cars is not going to be easy. Moreover, you cannot work on the cars IN the yard. They must go into an inspection barn or a shop to be worked on, and indoor space in all yards is at a premium so it is unlikely much will be able to be done on NYCT property to help the cars.

-Get in touch with as many people as you can who are handy and know how to fix things. Electricians, plumbers, welders, and painters are incredibly handy when it comes to restoration.

-Make friends with as many high up TA employees as you can in other organizations. Make friends with as many preservationists as you can, they will offer you a lot of advice on how to get started.

And last,

-Be aware that you will not be able to run trips on TA property with those trains, even if they are fully restored - unless someone in your group is or becomes a high up operating department person in NYCT who is well connected.

So, from another preservationist...Good luck and don't let the naysayers and those who like to bitch about things bring you down.

that's EXACTLY what they want to do...

Read their website. Yet again I am compelled to call attention to the fact that I do not post without basis:

Frequently Asked Questions

What are you doing?

We are a non-profit organization established to restore NYCT IRT R36 units #9400 and 9401. These two 1964 #7 Flushing cars were built for World's Fair service and are among the last "redbirds" in original condition per se, with the Westinghouse controllers, motors, doors, electrical and braking equipment bascially the same as originally delivered. (Most other rebuilt cars in the same period went through more significant changes).

Why restore the R36s?

Not only are 9400 and 9401 the last survivors of the 9400-series Westinghouse R36 class, they are in more or less original stock condition (excluding paint, air conditioning and some rewiring), with the Westinghouse controllers, motors, doors, electrical and "SMEE" braking equipment bascially the same as originally delivered in 1964. The rebuilt MK R26/28/29s, Main Line R33/R36s and GE R36s recieved more significant upgrades in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

In addition, these R36s have historical significance as the original "Blue Arrows" that transported millions to the World's Fair in 1964-1965. The large picture windows that debuted with the R36s have appeared on every single NYCT car since, up to today's R160s. Therefore the R36's legacy appears on every New York subway car since 1964.

What are your activities and programs?

We aim to working on various forms of fundraising for restoring the cars. Education, outreach events may also be planned. The goal is the have the R36s run in charter, special event or excursion service.

How can I contribute?

Currently R36 Preservation Inc. is not yet 501©3 certified, we intend to some time in 2011. For now you can help by working at some of our fundraisers and events or shopping at our Store . See the events page for more details. Check our Facebook and Twitter pages for details as well.

My problem is the entire plan is unrealistic. Two cars, by themsevels, are not worth the trouble. That's why I suggested the first time they join up with RPC.

Everyone's got to start somewhere, and nothing is unrealistic with the right connections and the right attitudes. Lots of cars have been saved from the scrapper that way. If you don't think two cars are worth the trouble fine, but if they do, let them at least try. It's their decision not yours.

As for joining up with RPC that's not the best place for the cars. It keeps them on property which as has been said, museum/preserved cars are piling up and it seems every 20-30 years there is a "purge." I think their best bet is to get their own internal house in order, formulate a plan, make some decisions, talk to knowledgeable people who are affiliated with different museums, and then sit down with a board full of at least 5 people and decide what the best course of option is.

Some people on Subchat bitch like crazy because there are subway cars at places like Branford, Kingston, and Kennebunkport and this is exactly why. Surplus museum cars that were saved from otherwise certain scrap. Perhaps those cars would be better served at Kingston or Kennebunkport (I can speak for Branford in saying that we can't attempt anything with them at this time). However, let them find out what's possible, no need to try and make up their mind for them. Preservationists are in short enough supply as it is. There are a million railfans who just want to go and take pictures of things running in regular service but finding someone willing to even do as little as grab a brush, a can of paint, and put paint on a museum subway car is a lot harder than you think. If these guys want to fundraise, or even if they decide later they want to learn to restore cars, power to them.

The reason most museum collections are suffering is NOT poor quality volunteers. Those that do volunteer are absolutely amazing at what they do. The problem is the lack of QUANTITY of volunteers. 5-10 amazing restorationists cannot restore 8-12 subway cars and keep them consistently in good working order. More people are needed, so if people want to get into preservation by all means let them. It's not like they're going to do any harm.

They want to restore it themselves. It says so right at the top of thier post here and the website. If they were simply working to fund the restoration, Then they should say "fund the restoration". Ether they are lying or you are unconsiously skipping words.

My post speaks for itself. It's right there in their website that their main focus is fundraising. There is nothing more to be said on the matter.

You don't seem to understand that this is not a "train" issue but a "people" issue. Preservationists in general are needed. Someone wants to help out, you encourage them, and help them learn the ropes with whatever project they express interest in whether you like it or not. You don't tell them their idea is stupid, belittle them, and make them want to be uninvolved in preservation just like the 99% of railfans who do nothing and then sit around and bitch because the Transit Museum isn't running their favorite train, or their favorite cars haven't been restored yet but something else has.

That's part of what comes with the territory when dealing with volunteers. These guys need a serious plan and a reasonable course of action before they'll get anywhere, but that doesn't mean their idea should be shot down immediately. Let them f**k around with it and see if it goes anywhere. I'd say the same thing to anyone who expressed interest in preserving any subway car.

Archived