Is Q50 being setup to fail?

RhythmNBlues

DBX5 sorry to get off topic and nitpick. Your talking about the "New England Thruway' aka Interstate 95 right? The Major Degan is the NY Thruway.:confused:

And intresting comments about this new BX23/QBX1 service. Sounds like the best plan is just return to the old service patter but keep the Q50 name for COOP-PBP-Flushing trips from reading this and Princelex comments.

Much of what has been done with the Bx23 and Q50 have caused a great deal of trouble for the people of Co-op City:

-During the PM rush hour service the section 5 shuttle now operates via Bartow Ave. It use to take about 5-10 min to get to sec. 5 depending on your stop. It now takes 10-20 min because of a longer route and the traffic on the New York Thruway that the old route use to avoid.

-The Q50 buses out of Flushing do not go on to Pelham Bay Park after sec.5 like the QBx1 use to. The result is greatly reduced service to the (6) and yet another bus terminating at Earhart Lane in the middle of nowhere. (The 26, 28, and 30 already terminate there)

-Bx23 service ends very early at night and is supplemented by the Q50 via sec 1-2-3-4-5 resulting in greatly reduced service with no 5-4-3-2-1 service. People who work evenings and live in section 5 now have a much longer commute.

-The Q50 ends service from Flushing at 11:55 weekdays and Sat. and 11:25 on Sunday. With no more 12:15 and 1:15am bus what are people who work late hours and have relied on this bus for years supposed to do? Take the (7) to Grand Central, the (6) to Pelham Bay and then a cab. Another alternative is the Q44 to Parkchester and the (6) to Pelham Bay followed by a cab. These alternatives are completely unacceptable as they result in additional hours of commuting and the addition of cab fare.

- During the PM rush is there a Sec 1-2-3-4 bus? I have only been seeing 4-3-2-1.

When the Bx23 and Q50 were first announced MTA Bus said changes were not being done due to budget cuts but instead to improve service. We were told that flushing service would be called the Q50 and the Co-op City Loop service would be called the BX23. That’s not exactly what happened at all. How does any of this improve service? Co-op City is completely isolated and the QBx1 service was vital to those without cars or who could not walk to the 6 like some of us do from section 5. I’m starting a letter writing campaign to the local politicians and see what happens.

Three good changes were made:

1. The Q50 runs to all sections during all times of operation. QBx1 didn’t do this during rush hours.

2. The bus stops at Pelham Bay Station were moved to more sensible positions.

3. The Q50 is now a limited thus eliminating those ridiculous stops around Asch and Dreiser loops. Some of those stops were less than half a block apart from each other and added 10-15 min to the trip when riding from Section 5 to Flushing.

Any one want to join in writing to the local do nothing politicians? If you write them let us know the response you get.

Although i agree that the (MTA) should increase the frequency of the Q50, it will never have the ridership the Q44 has. Q50 runs should be increased only minimally. The Bx23 should run 24hrs or at least well after midnight. Co-op City residents should have easy access to the (6). Maybe coincide the Late night Bx23 uns with the arrival and departures of the (6).

Agreed. Plus the BX28 should serve all of Coop 24/7 and terminate at Bay Plaza to provide at least '1' crosstown Bronx access to all of it's sections.

The Bx26 and 28 shouldn't have been touched. I dont understand the benifit to isolating half of Co-op City. But I do think the Bx38 is a sound idea if the scheduling was re-tweaked. The Bx38 would actually work well if the bunching problems can be resolved.

Sections 1, 2 and 3 have gotten screwed while it seems Section 4,5 is 'spoiled' with bus service. the (MTA) needs to make the Bx23 a 24hr shuttle, operate the PM "Section 5 Only" shuttle in the opposite direction of the AM shuttle, increase the frequency of the Q50, AND at least make Deiser Loop/ Co-op City Blvd. a stop for the Q50.

I have written to Assemblyman Michael Benedetto about this. He says that he is collecting letters and emails he has been receiving as well as complaints sent to the Co-op City Times and will bring them to the attention of the MTA. I urge everyone to email him at: http://nysa.us/mem/?ad=082&sh=contact I believe he will be able to help us as he has already worked with the MTA to change the morning schedules of the Bx28 and Bx38. I also suggest that you email Councilman Larry Seabrook at cmseabrook12@yahoo.com . We all have to work hard to get the Bx23 and Q50 to at least provide us with the service the QBx1 use to have. In the past it took me 5 min to travel home from Pelham Bay Station during the PM rush hour on the Sec.5 shuttle. It now takes 15-20 min!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I sent out an e-mail to both Assemblyman Benedetto and Councilman Seabrook yesterday and I urge everyone here who uses the Bx23/Q50 to join and help out to bring back regular service on those lines and even the Bx26/Bx28 as well. Thank you again dbx5 for the links.

• 4 weeks later...

Time to necropost.... yaaaay!

Anyway, the Q50 is an excellent route. It's fast, it's well planned... there's just one tiny, tiny problem: it ends abruptly at Earhart Lane for no reason and doesn't run frequently enough to warrant delivery of residents to Pelham Bay.

The Bx23 is a disaster. Complete, utter, disaster. It takes the stupidest route into Section 5 via Bay Plaza that will be a traffic nightmare come holiday season. After rush hour, it runs every half hour on a weekday... and apparently for the Bx23, rush hour ends after 9:15 ish.

I say, kill the Bx23, kill it hard, and replace it with a frequent, 24-hour Q50.

(which is the QBx1, with a new name)

Anyone think the Bx25 should return and run throughout Co Op City during rush hours peak direction (5-4-3-2-1 AM, 1-2-3-4-5 PM) while the Bx26 stays the same?

This would restore some rush hour service to upper Co Op City while allowing the MTA to save money off peak.

The Bx26 needs to go back to its pre-June 27th route when it served ALL of Co-op City. I don't know if they need a Bx25 though.

Archived