Is Q50 being setup to fail?

RhythmNBlues

It's not gonna fail trust me. What I pefer is that the Q50 have rush hour short trips at Pelham Bay

Or as i proposed earlier terimante the Q50 at Bay Plaza and serve a portion of Coop i.e sections 4-5. While those riders from the rest of Coop can get an additional transfer between the BX23 and Q50 at either PBP or at the last stop at Main St. Flushing.

The x21 was an SI route that was set up to fail from the getgo. And it did.

Cermak Express it was not:P

Q50 no doubt same game.

Same game. Different name.

That may be true (I wouldn't doubt it either), but the Pelham to Flushing trip has a sizable following. I'd be hard pressed to see the (MTA) succeed in getting rid of that route (and any attempt to merge the Q44 and Q50 wouldn't end well).

Regarding the question being asked in this thread...

The situation with the old x21 & the upcoming Q50 you can't put in the same boat... it's like comparing a newborn boy to a middle aged woman... that's how outlandish it is....

- yeah, the old x21 route was doomed to fail (pleasant plains isn't near as dense as tottenville)... that's why the 22 was altered to serve portions of the old 21, and it flourished b/c of it....

- about the Q50 being setup to fail, as long as it still serves co-op city in some fashion, absolutely not.

Not at all. I used the line this morning and it was just as full as it was last week. The only thing that needs to be done to make sure it's worth a damn is have the EXACT same running times of the QBx1 or better than the QBx1 but the (MTA) is cheap as hell so I don't see it happening.

Regarding the question being asked in this thread...

The situation with the old x21 & the upcoming Q50 you can't put in the same boat... it's like comparing a newborn boy to a middle aged woman... that's how outlandish it is....

- yeah, the old x21 route was doomed to fail (pleasant plains isn't near as dense as tottenville)... that's why the 22 was altered to serve portions of the old 21, and it flourished b/c of it....

- about the Q50 being setup to fail, as long as it still serves co-op city in some fashion, absolutely not.

But wasn't the X21 a short-turn version of the X22? As I recall, it went down Rossville Avenue, Woodrow Road, and Bloomingdale Road to Bedell Street (near the Pleasant Plains SIR station), whereas the X22 simply continued to Tottenville along the same route. I don't see how the X22 could've been "altered" to serve the X21 route.

But wasn't the X21 a short-turn version of the X22? As I recall, it went down Rossville Avenue, Woodrow Road, and Bloomingdale Road to Bedell Street (near the Pleasant Plains SIR station), whereas the X22 simply continued to Tottenville along the same route. I don't see how the X22 could've been "altered" to serve the X21 route.

the x21 came in to manhattan via 34th, and left manhattan via 23rd...

the x22 comes in to manhattan via 42nd, and leaves manhattan via 34th...

I don't remember the routing of the x22 during its inception in 2k on the SI end, but I know it didn't exactly resemble what it does today (it was formed from some academy bus route)... portions of the x21 were later absorbed into the x22 sometime before the 2002 cuts... this made it much easier to kill the 21 w/o much of any backlash (SI riders scoffed at service across 23rd, I remember that)... this is why that route didn't last that long...

if it were simply a short turn of the x22, why would the MTA have taken on the x21 in the first place?

Having dealt with the Q50/Bx23 for the last couple of days, I still don't think it will fail because there is demand for it, at least in the Co-Op City-Pelham Bay department BUT I do think that the (MTA) has f**ked with the service to a degree. The Bx23 are frequent in the morning but it needs to be 24 hrs, and it appears that they cut service and that's bullshit. I also don't see a lot of Q50's. I rode it once and it was good but there needs to be more of them. I waited for 20 mins Sunday night for a Q50 and with it being rainy and cool and I gave up and took a cab home and this was before Midnight. The Q50 needs to run till 1am everyday or later. Also, when the Bx23 doesn't run, the Q50 needs to make all of the Bx23's stops. I don't know if this is happening but if it isn't, it needs to start. One thing is for sure, it's been confusing for a lot of passengers and it will be for a while. I look forward to seeing what else happens with this line.

the x21 came in to manhattan via 34th, and left manhattan via 23rd...

the x22 comes in to manhattan via 42nd, and leaves manhattan via 34th...

I don't remember the routing of the x22 during its inception in 2k on the SI end, but I know it didn't exactly resemble what it does today (it was formed from some academy bus route)... portions of the x21 were later absorbed into the x22 sometime before the 2002 cuts... this made it much easier to kill the 21 w/o much of any backlash (SI riders scoffed at service across 23rd, I remember that)... this is why that route didn't last that long...

if it were simply a short turn of the x22, why would the MTA have taken on the x21 in the first place?

I think the X22 comes into Manhattan on 34th Street and leaves on 42nd Street.

I had a 2001 Staten Island Bus Map (I'll see if I can find it) and I saw that the X22 ran the same route that it runs today, except that it ran until Hylan Blvd/Craig Avenue instead of continuing to Hylan Blvd/Page Avenue.

Also, I think every route that runs via NJ today ran via the FDR Drive going back to Manhattan (except for the X30), so I actually think that the X21 and X22 did run the same route. I agree that it would've made more sense to program in an X22 to Bedell Street instead of creating the X21, since it would've generated less public outcry when it was eliminated.

Having dealt with the Q50/Bx23 for the last couple of days, I still don't think it will fail because there is demand for it, at least in the Co-Op City-Pelham Bay department BUT I do think that the (MTA) has f**ked with the service to a degree. The Bx23 are frequent in the morning but it needs to be 24 hrs, and it appears that they cut service and that's bullshit. I also don't see a lot of Q50's. I rode it once and it was good but there needs to be more of them. I waited for 20 mins Sunday night for a Q50 and with it being rainy and cool and I gave up and took a cab home and this was before Midnight. The Q50 needs to run till 1am everyday or later. Also, when the Bx23 doesn't run, the Q50 needs to make all of the Bx23's stops. I don't know if this is happening but if it isn't, it needs to start. One thing is for sure, it's been confusing for a lot of passengers and it will be for a while. I look forward to seeing what else happens with this line.

Q50 Pelham Bay Park to Co Op City Sunday late evening schedule

8:25pm, 8:55pm, 9:25pm, 10:25pm, 11:25pm, 12:25am

Q50 Pelham Bay Park to Co Op City Sunday late evening schedule

8:25pm, 8:55pm, 9:25pm, 10:25pm, 11:25pm, 12:25am

That sucks right there. I could understand if it was every half hour but every hour? That's some bullshit man. Thank you for that information, I appreciate it.

Much of what has been done with the Bx23 and Q50 have caused a great deal of trouble for the people of Co-op City:

-During the PM rush hour service the section 5 shuttle now operates via Bartow Ave. It use to take about 5-10 min to get to sec. 5 depending on your stop. It now takes 10-20 min because of a longer route and the traffic on the New York Thruway that the old route use to avoid.

-The Q50 buses out of Flushing do not go on to Pelham Bay Park after sec.5 like the QBx1 use to. The result is greatly reduced service to the (6) and yet another bus terminating at Earhart Lane in the middle of nowhere. (The 26, 28, and 30 already terminate there)

-Bx23 service ends very early at night and is supplemented by the Q50 via sec 1-2-3-4-5 resulting in greatly reduced service with no 5-4-3-2-1 service. People who work evenings and live in section 5 now have a much longer commute.

-The Q50 ends service from Flushing at 11:55 weekdays and Sat. and 11:25 on Sunday. With no more 12:15 and 1:15am bus what are people who work late hours and have relied on this bus for years supposed to do? Take the (7) to Grand Central, the (6) to Pelham Bay and then a cab. Another alternative is the Q44 to Parkchester and the (6) to Pelham Bay followed by a cab. These alternatives are completely unacceptable as they result in additional hours of commuting and the addition of cab fare.

- During the PM rush is there a Sec 1-2-3-4 bus? I have only been seeing 4-3-2-1.

When the Bx23 and Q50 were first announced MTA Bus said changes were not being done due to budget cuts but instead to improve service. We were told that flushing service would be called the Q50 and the Co-op City Loop service would be called the BX23. That’s not exactly what happened at all. How does any of this improve service? Co-op City is completely isolated and the QBx1 service was vital to those without cars or who could not walk to the 6 like some of us do from section 5. I’m starting a letter writing campaign to the local politicians and see what happens.

Three good changes were made:

1. The Q50 runs to all sections during all times of operation. QBx1 didn’t do this during rush hours.

2. The bus stops at Pelham Bay Station were moved to more sensible positions.

3. The Q50 is now a limited thus eliminating those ridiculous stops around Asch and Dreiser loops. Some of those stops were less than half a block apart from each other and added 10-15 min to the trip when riding from Section 5 to Flushing.

Any one want to join in writing to the local do nothing politicians? If you write them let us know the response you get.

Much of what has been done with the Bx23 and Q50 have caused a great deal of trouble for the people of Co-op City:

-During the PM rush hour service the section 5 shuttle now operates via Bartow Ave. It use to take about 5-10 min to get to sec. 5 depending on your stop. It now takes 10-20 min because of a longer route and the traffic on the New York Thruway that the old route use to avoid.

-The Q50 buses out of Flushing do not go on to Pelham Bay Park after sec.5 like the QBx1 use to. The result is greatly reduced service to the (6) and yet another bus terminating at Earhart Lane in the middle of nowhere. (The 26, 28, and 30 already terminate there)

-Bx23 service ends very early at night and is supplemented by the Q50 via sec 1-2-3-4-5 resulting in greatly reduced service with no 5-4-3-2-1 service. People who work evenings and live in section 5 now have a much longer commute.

-The Q50 ends service from Flushing at 11:55 weekdays and Sat. and 11:25 on Sunday. With no more 12:15 and 1:15am bus what are people who work late hours and have relied on this bus for years supposed to do? Take the (7) to Grand Central, the (6) to Pelham Bay and then a cab. Another alternative is the Q44 to Parkchester and the (6) to Pelham Bay followed by a cab. These alternatives are completely unacceptable as they result in additional hours of commuting and the addition of cab fare.

- During the PM rush is there a Sec 1-2-3-4 bus? I have only been seeing 4-3-2-1.

When the Bx23 and Q50 were first announced MTA Bus said changes were not being done due to budget cuts but instead to improve service. We were told that flushing service would be called the Q50 and the Co-op City Loop service would be called the BX23. That’s not exactly what happened at all. How does any of this improve service? Co-op City is completely isolated and the QBx1 service was vital to those without cars or who could not walk to the 6 like some of us do from section 5. I’m starting a letter writing campaign to the local politicians and see what happens.

Three good changes were made:

1. The Q50 runs to all sections during all times of operation. QBx1 didn’t do this during rush hours.

2. The bus stops at Pelham Bay Station were moved to more sensible positions.

3. The Q50 is now a limited thus eliminating those ridiculous stops around Asch and Dreiser loops. Some of those stops were less than half a block apart from each other and added 10-15 min to the trip when riding from Section 5 to Flushing.

Any one want to join in writing to the local do nothing politicians? If you write them let us know the response you get.

As a resident in Co-Op City and as one who has been taking this route this week, each day I've been seeing what you've talked about and I will join you with this letter campaign. Last night was the final straw. I visit my uncle and aunt in Asch Loop every week and when the service cuts hit in June, the QBx1 was my only way of easily getting home. Now that the Bx23 not only stops running early but the Q50 doesn't even stop there after the Bx23 stops running, I have to walk further and figure out if a Bx38 or Bx28 is going to come and how long it will take for what ever to come and it increases my trip up to 10 mins going home.

It might not seem like a lot to those on the outside looking in but it's torture for those who never had to go through hoops just to go somewhere within Co-Op City. I've seen more confusion over these lines than I did with the Bx38. The (MTA) totally jacked Co-Op City royally and this has got to stop ASAP. Let me know where to sign or what to do and I'll do it.

The number of trips has increased on the Q50 vs QBx1 (Bronx Queens service). The last bus from Flushing to the Bronx is 11:55pm 7 days a week.

MTA has added trips across the Whitestone Bridge (check my thread). Q50 ends earlier, but has daytime trips added. On weekdays some 30 minute periods are now 20 minutes during the rush hours.

As a resident in Co-Op City and as one who has been taking this route this week, each day I've been seeing what you've talked about and I will join you with this letter campaign. Last night was the final straw. I visit my uncle and aunt in Asch Loop every week and when the service cuts hit in June, the QBx1 was my only way of easily getting home. Now that the Bx23 not only stops running early but the Q50 doesn't even stop there after the Bx23 stops running, I have to walk further and figure out if a Bx38 or Bx28 is going to come and how long it will take for what ever to come and it increases my trip up to 10 mins going home.

It might not seem like a lot to those on the outside looking in but it's torture for those who never had to go through hoops just to go somewhere within Co-Op City. I've seen more confusion over these lines than I did with the Bx38. The (MTA) totally jacked Co-Op City royally and this has got to stop ASAP. Let me know where to sign or what to do and I'll do it.

Bx38 only runs late on Saturday evenings (until around midnight in Co Op City toward Bay Plaza). The Bx26 still runs directly on Asch Loop (though you would have to transfer)

Bx38 only runs late on Saturday evenings (until around midnight in Co Op City toward Bay Plaza).

But why just Saturday? That doesn't help me on a Thursday night. It should run late EVERY NIGHT.

The Bx26 still runs directly on Asch Loop (though you would have to transfer)

That doesn't help me one bit. Since the Bx26 doesn't go to Section 2 anymore, unfortunately I have no more use for the Bx26 and I'm pissed about that.

Problems with Bx23/Q50 Co-op City bus service lie with the stops and the scheduling. Yesterday i rode both the Bx23 and Q50 thru Co-op and besides confusion, the Q50 Limited service in Co-op is horrible. The biggest drawback in daily operation is Q50 skips Dreiser Loop completely continuing on to Carver Loop without even stopping at least on the Dreiser Loop/Co-op City Blvd. And yes when the Bx23 isnt running the Q50 should make all stops in Co-op City.

The Q50 needs to run like the Q44 does. That bus is GREAT!! But when I have to come home late at night from work on Saturdays, I often have to wait an hour for the next one (Q50, that is). So, I take the 44 to Parkchester, then the 6 train to Pelham Bay and catch either the BX23 or 12 bus. It's ridiculous how well the 44 runs as opposed to the 50. Both should run equally (or at least close to) each other in schedule. I wish the 50 ran as well as the 44 does which almost runs better than almost any bus I've ever seen in my life!

The Q50 needs to run like the Q44 does. That bus is GREAT!! But when I have to come home late at night from work on Saturdays, I often have to wait an hour for the next one (Q50, that is). So, I take the 44 to Parkchester, then the 6 train to Pelham Bay and catch either the BX23 or 12 bus. It's ridiculous how well the 44 runs as opposed to the 50. Both should run equally (or at least close to) each other in schedule. I wish the 50 ran as well as the 44 does which almost runs better than almost any bus I've ever seen in my life!

Although i agree that the (MTA) should increase the frequency of the Q50, it will never have the ridership the Q44 has. Q50 runs should be increased only minimally. The Bx23 should run 24hrs or at least well after midnight. Co-op City residents should have easy access to the (6). Maybe coincide the Late night Bx23 uns with the arrival and departures of the (6).

I have written to Assemblyman Michael Benedetto about this. He says that he is collecting letters and emails he has been receiving as well as complaints sent to the Co-op City Times and will bring them to the attention of the MTA. I urge everyone to email him at: http://nysa.us/mem/?ad=082&sh=contact I believe he will be able to help us as he has already worked with the MTA to change the morning schedules of the Bx28 and Bx38. I also suggest that you email Councilman Larry Seabrook at cmseabrook12@yahoo.com . We all have to work hard to get the Bx23 and Q50 to at least provide us with the service the QBx1 use to have. In the past it took me 5 min to travel home from Pelham Bay Station during the PM rush hour on the Sec.5 shuttle. It now takes 15-20 min!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I have written to Assemblyman Michael Benedetto about this. He says that he is collecting letters and emails he has been receiving as well as complaints sent to the Co-op City Times and will bring them to the attention of the MTA. I urge everyone to email him at: http://nysa.us/mem/?ad=082&sh=contact I believe he will be able to help us as he has already worked with the MTA to change the morning schedules of the Bx28 and Bx38. I also suggest that you email Councilman Larry Seabrook at cmseabrook12@yahoo.com . We all have to work hard to get the Bx23 and Q50 to at least provide us with the service the QBx1 use to have. In the past it took me 5 min to travel home from Pelham Bay Station during the PM rush hour on the Sec.5 shuttle. It now takes 15-20 min!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Thank you for that info. I will definately shoot an e-mail out to them about this and the problems with all the bus routes in Co-Op City.

Archived