Recording videos illegal?

Abba

Photography and Video is purly legal as long as you DON'T use any flashes, tripods or what ever. ON public property tho!

Sometimes doing it next to a worker is not the best thing as some will be a jacka$$ and start complainting that it is illegal and yadayada.

I and the many others out there on Youtube and/or net video records on Transit property(Publicly)~

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

1050.9 - 3 (Formaly 1050.9 - C)

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

BTW this applies ONLY to NYC Subway.

MNR/LIRR none of the above applies but photos/video is legal as long as its not in a restricted/ no camera zone.

Bus is legal as well but following the above rule of the Subway. If your outside the bus then your free to take pixs/vid even use tripods. Of course not on the depot!

Photography and Video is purly legal as long as you DON'T use any flashes, tripods or what ever. ON public property tho!

Sometimes doing it next to a worker is not the best thing as some will be a jacka$$ and start complainting that it is illegal and yadayada.

I and the many others out there on Youtube and/or net video records on Transit property(Publicly)~

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

1050.9 - 3 (Formaly 1050.9 - C)

BTW this applies ONLY to NYC Subway.

MNR/LIRR none of the above applies but photos/video is legal as long as its not in a restricted/ no camera zone.

Bus is legal as well but following the above rule of the Subway. If your outside the bus then your free to take pixs/vid even use tripods. Of course not on the depot!

I wonder about pushing the legal definitions a bit… such as using a monopod.

That im not clearly sure about. But maybe it isn't illegal. Tripods is since it blocks free movement when stations is crowded. Monopods are small and i don't think it is a problem. Its like using the station benches as a monopod.

That im not clearly sure about. But maybe it isn't illegal. Tripods is since it blocks free movement when stations is crowded. Monopods are small and i don't think it is a problem. Its like using the station benches as a monopod.

The specific restriction on tripods was only given as an example of what equipment is disallowed—probably because it's the most common and recognizable. A monopod most definitely belongs under the category of ancillary equipment.

The specific restriction on tripods was only given as an example of what equipment is disallowed—probably because it's the most common and recognizable. A monopod most definitely belongs under the category of ancillary equipment.

What monopod? It's my cane. I have a disability. ;)

No. All recording is allowed on public areas with any equipment, camera or phone except for those mentioned on the MTA page for which you will need a press license.

My philosophy: To avoid problems, avoid employees.

Away from token booths and the front/middle of the train. They can't see you, they can't stop you.

that actualy makes a lot of sense. even less conspicuous would be an umbrella with a detacheable handle.

I understand the ban on tripods (partially), but not monopods and ancillary equipment that couldn't possibly be more dangerous than an umbrella or cane. Is a monopod supposed to be able to help take a super-accurate survey of the area so that terrorists can plan their operations with precision?

I understand the ban on tripods (partially), but not monopods and ancillary equipment that couldn't possibly be more dangerous than an umbrella or cane. Is a monopod supposed to be able to help take a super-accurate survey of the area so that terrorists can plan their operations with precision?

Well, you know, if 3 terrorists each brought their own monopod... you could very well have a TSD—a tripedal stabilizing device. It's a dangerous world out there.

No. All recording is allowed on public areas with any equipment, camera or phone except for those mentioned on the MTA page for which you will need a press license.

My philosophy: To avoid problems, avoid employees.

Away from token booths and the front/middle of the train. They can't see you, they can't stop you.

On railroad u can use Tripods, there is no rule on that and ive seen it before. But sometimes its best not to use it.

Well, you know, if 3 terrorists each brought their own monopod... you could very well have a TSD—a tripedal stabilizing device. It's a dangerous world out there.

Or three umbrellas, which are also handily crafted to join at the tips and support an affixed camera. ;)

ozzzy how is it illegal 2 record video i kno u told me dat not 2 flash but it cannot be illegal to record video it outrageous

noel i never said its illegal what r u talking about.

Your sentence structure is a disgrace to all 16 year olds.

oh he talks like that all the time, u meet him and he talks u will be looking like this O_O.

Yeah, It's illegal to record Lo-Vs,Gate Cars,R1s,Locomotive #5,R142A,R143 & R160B Siemens trains because of the sounds they make when they accelerate/deaccelerate, it might cause a foamer to pass out.

I thought you were serious for a second there...:)

Or at least until I read the foamer part.

No matter what people around you at the time say, it's not illegal to photograph or video any public part of the subway including but not limited to:

Staircases, platforms, rolling stock, employees, vending machines, tracks, entrances, turnstiles, station booths, signs, railings.

- A

Archived