2011 Track map book: Looking for updates and info

Peter Dougherty

Hi guys!

I'm making pretty good progress on the 2011 edition and it should be ready to ship by December 7th. In order to keep that schedule, however, I'm looking for any information on the following:

1. The biggest piece of the puzzle for me is the East 180th Street interlocking and the Dyre Line. I'm actively looking for single-line drawings of the new alignment. I have a schematic drawing but it lacks the precise detail of the single-line images. Anybody who can source these for me gets a free book. Also, how far along is this conversion project?

2. Next up are any changes to track or signaling that have occurred in 2010. All I have so far is the removal of a crossover on the (G).

3. South of Broadway-Lafayette, have the indications changed for 86-ball? What I have is Green for B-1 track into the Rutgers tunnel (F), Yellow for B5-6 and 3-yellows for BJ-1 into Essex St. Now that the (M) is running, have they made it more T/O friendly by changing the indications for a simple bottom-yellow to BJ-1 and 3Y to the terminal tracks?

4. I'm still not sure about the (M) fleet. Am I correct in assuming it's based solely out of ENY Yard? If so, is Jamaica just a relay point for the (M) or does it play any maintenance or layup role for that line?

5. I will be riding throughout Brooklyn this coming week to verify the status of the two big reconstruction projects (the Smith/9th viaduct and the Brighton rebuild). Can anyone give me a heads-up on how far behind schedule either of these is? Also, does anybody have access to single-lines for the Smith-9th rebuild? Will B5 be making a comeback or is it histoire?

6. I'd like to update descriptions of yard operations and facilities this year. Anyone from DCE or RTO who'd be willing to work with me to modernize this section a tad?

7. Lastly, as I always ask before every edition, I'm looking for the most current yard/car matrix spreadsheet.

That's about it for now. I'm always willing to get input from you great folks on the ground who may be able to give me a better perspective on how things are going behind the scenes. I'll happily give full credit to any and everybody who can help out. Feel free to contact me at nyctrackbook@gmail.com.

Tremendous thanks in advance to one and all.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

2011_cover-prelim-small.jpg

2011 Edition coming December 7th!

Yes, it's still three yellows, and it will likely stay that way, as it is a more natural arrangement.

It used to be just two yellows for the cut, and a call-on for 2Av, b ut when the (V) began running there, they changed it to the present. So the terminal (which is apart of the same line; the 6th Av trunk) is the first diverge, and the cut is the second diverge (even though the cut is physically first). Three yellows does serve as "second diverge", in addition to yard indication.

(Unless they want to bring back a blue aspect, which was at one time used somewhere on Gold St interlocking).

This is the layout of 86 ball...

-(F) trains take the bottom green

-Any train going into 2 Av terminal takes a bottom yellow

-(M) trains get 3 yellows for the cut

As for the (M), its based out of ENY (mostly) and some trains are stored at Fresh Pond Yard. Also there's a few that are stored on the express tracks after 71 Av on weekends for the first trains out of Continental on Monday mornings

• 1 month later...

Actually, I ride the Queens Boulevard line during the weekend and the 4 car R160 (M) cars are actually layed up on the express tracks of the 169 Street (F) station (which may go as far North as Parsons Boulevard).

If you ride an (E) or (F) train south of 71/Continental, you'll actually see R160 (E) trains layed up from 75 Street to Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike, then (sometimes) starting at Briarwood-Van Wyck (which is where I park my car; hence get on and off the subway) to probably Sutphin Boulevard they lay up a few R160 (F) trains. If I also remember correctly all of these trains being layed-up are only North-bound, the R160s for the (M) are both North and South.

Archived