Longer waits for broken trains

LRG

An MTA board member voiced a common complaint yesterday: Riders are enduring longer waits for trains, which in turn are becoming more crowded.

Waits for trains on nearly all subway lines were up nearly 5 percent year-over-year in September, according to new MTA data.

“This means you are standing on the platform longer,” said MTA board member Doreen Frasca. “The changes are small, but you don’t want it going in that direction. The trend is not great.”

According to Frasca, longer waits may be due to service cuts the MTA made in June, when it cut the W and V lines and made the N local in Manhattan.

Subway cars are also breaking down more often, particularly on the 3, 5, and 6 lines and on the L, C and G. The MTA said those breakdowns are happening because some of their cars, such as the R32-cars on the C train, have been in operation for decades.

Breaking down

Here’s a look at the average miles subway cars went before breaking down in 2009 and 2010:

» R62 cars on the 3 train:

September 2009: 146,758

September 2010: 82,601

» R142 cars on the 5 train:

September 2009: 394,299

September 2010: 115,413

» R32 cars on the C train:

September 2009: 91,773

September 2010: 36,386

» R46 cars on the G train:

September 2009: 85,982

September 2010: 36,246

Link: http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/692915--longer-waits-for-broken-trains

Wow,the cuts are really showing the effects.Poor R32's they still run good for their age but 207th should mix the cars around they sit 40cars for days,and weeks.

The R62's I'm surprised those cats are well maintained to me by the (3) yards.

As for the R142's on the (5)/(2) they do run and barely have time2 charge up and rest b4 they go back out at Flatbush.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the cutbacks in maintenance....

One poster on here did say that 207th Street is understaffed.

I really don't understand this myself. 207th Street used to be really good with their trains but now it seems like they're developing a bad rep with their cars. The R32's MDBF is abysmal that it's disappointing, especially the age these cars are they need to be treated with additional TLC if they're going to stick around for the additional five years that has been projected.

Archived