Countdown clocks... How soon before they become system wide?

Via Garibaldi 8

For once I've got to give the MTA some credit... The countdown clocks are a blessing to have. I've had the benefit of relying on them on the 4 5 6 line in the city and it seems like the train comes just that much faster with them around. I have not however been able to see how they work on 34th street, which the M16 and M34 use. I am just wondering how soon will these countdown clocks be rolled out systemwide, including the outerboroughs on both buses and trains? I know that they've had a lot of problems rolling the system out on bus lines due to interference from the tall buildings here in the city. Also, how do B/Os feel about this new feature?

They should worry about next stop announcements first.

Long Island has them and if bus operators keep them in sync, they're great.

That's interesting because I've been out on Long Island on several occasions and their bus service in many respects is like the local bus service on Staten Island... One bus every half for most parts of the day. Do you think these countdown clocks have had any impact on what time drivers arrive (be it late, early or on time)?

They are not coming to the lettered lines for a long, long time...mostly because the lettered lines don't have ATS (the technology necessary to make the clocks as detailed as the numbered lines). Instead, the lettered lines can have signs like "Train arriving-local track-2 minutes". However, it is unknown what that train actually is.

B Div signs are coming fast: they were at Atlantic Terminal last week. True, they can't tell between a (D) and an (N).

The MTA is trying to get countdown info to every station, no matter how crude. As for buses, they need to get a GPS system expanded to the entire fleet. Once that's done, the system is easy to implement, only the signs needs to be installed.

Note that Joel is talking about LIRR, not LI Bus.

B Div signs are coming fast: they were at Atlantic Terminal last week. True, they can't tell between a (D) and an (N).

The MTA is trying to get countdown info to every station, no matter how crude. As for buses, they need to get a GPS system expanded to the entire fleet. Once that's done, the system is easy to implement, only the signs needs to be installed.

Note that Joel is talking about LIRR, not LI Bus.

Well I've rode the LIRR on several occassions and I think the service is pretty decent overall, but then again for what they pay it should be. Yeah I did notice the countdown clocks too but didn't think much of them perhaps because I don't use the LIRR on a regular basis, but it's definitely great to have.

I know I'm in the minority on the clock situation but IMO the clocks are but cosmetics when the bus, subway, and railroad SERVICE is being decimated. I've actually watched people taking videos of "countdown clocks" in the subways and the info says the train will arrive in 11 minutes. They're happy but I know that before the cuts in service the trains were 8 minutes apart. Who is being played here ? As far as the LIRR goes, out in the boonies the display only tells you when the train is scheduled to arrive and is sometimes only updated when that time has already passed. By that time everyone knows it's late so all you can do is wait. I guess that some information is more valuable than a shorter wait for transportation. As far as the bus situation goes it's more complicated. From a tourists' perspective in midtown Manhattan it may be a different experience compared to a commuter in the outlying regions of Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island who's trying to get to or from a j-o-b- in late January at midnight or 6 am. That's just my opinion though. Most people are thrilled with anything shiny and new although I still think anyone taking videos of countdown clocks, and is not a tourist, probably goes to Times Square to be fascinated by the news zipper going 'round. A few fries short of a Happy Meal IMHO.

I know I'm in the minority on the clock situation but IMO the clocks are but cosmetics when the bus, subway, and railroad SERVICE is being decimated. I've actually watched people taking videos of "countdown clocks" in the subways and the info says the train will arrive in 11 minutes. They're happy but I know that before the cuts in service the trains were 8 minutes apart. Who is being played here ? As far as the LIRR goes, out in the boonies the display only tells you when the train is scheduled to arrive and is sometimes only updated when that time has already passed. By that time everyone knows it's late so all you can do is wait. I guess that some information is more valuable than a shorter wait for transportation. As far as the bus situation goes it's more complicated. From a tourists' perspective in midtown Manhattan it may be a different experience compared to a commuter in the outlying regions of Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island who's trying to get to or from a j-o-b- in late January at midnight or 6 am. That's just my opinion though. Most people are thrilled with anything shiny and new although I still think anyone taking videos of countdown clocks, and is not a tourist, probably goes to Times Square to be fascinated by the news zipper going 'round. A few fries short of a Happy Meal IMHO.

I agree with you, but countdown clocks are long overdue here and necessary. When I was living back in Florence [italy], in 2004, I went up to Bologna for the day and they already had countdown clocks showing you where the bus was and when it was arriving. It's amazing how far behind we are on so many things transportation wise and how little we're investing in transportation on all levels when the population growth continues here in New York City especially. I took a subway today that I probably would not have taken had the countdown clock not been around because I wouldn't have known that the next train would be a good 10 minute wait, so yes they do make a difference.

I agree with you, but countdown clocks are long overdue here and necessary. When I was living back in Florence [italy], in 2004, I went up to Bologna for the day and they already had countdown clocks showing you where the bus was and when it was arriving. It's amazing how far behind we are on so many things transportation wise and how little we're investing in transportation on all levels when the population growth continues here in New York City especially. I took a subway today that I probably would not have taken had the countdown clock not been around because I wouldn't have known that the next train would be a good 10 minute wait, so yes they do make a difference.

Your last few sentences is what bothers me about the clocks. If the trip was really important you would have waited, clock or no clock, for the train correct? Were you going to drive or call a car service instead ? Or cancel the trip outright ? Commuters don't have that option. I'd rather have more reliable service to get me to someplace important. That's where we agree that infrastructure is more important than cosmetics. Fix the reliability of the means of transport and only then go further with bus GPS and countdown clocks. If your means of transport are breaking down left and right fix them first. The way it's being done now is wrong. New trains, subways, and buses while station rehabs and city streets are left undone is backwards. GPS or a clock ain't worth a dime if your ride is broken down. We're putting the cart before the horse now.

Your last few sentences is what bothers me about the clocks. If the trip was really important you would have waited, clock or no clock, for the train correct? Were you going to drive or call a car service instead ? Or cancel the trip outright ? Commuters don't have that option. I'd rather have more reliable service to get me to someplace important. That's where we agree that infrastructure is more important than cosmetics. Fix the reliability of the means of transport and only then go further with bus GPS and countdown clocks. If your means of transport are breaking down left and right fix them first. The way it's being done now is wrong. New trains, subways, and buses while station rehabs and city streets are left undone is backwards. GPS or a clock ain't worth a dime if your ride is broken down. We're putting the cart before the horse now.

I really don't know why we can't both? Have improved infrastructure and the new trains and buses with the countdown clocks. If our politicians stop earmarking monies for transit and using it for other matters we'd be in a lot better situation. I do think that our buses and subways need to be maintained more and what I mean by that is they need to be cared for more. All of the new trains and buses are filthy. They just don't get cleaned the way they should. The newer express buses especially out of MTA Bus depots are pretty good in terms of cleanliness, so apparently they have different practices than the main agency, but they're also a lot smaller.

• 3 months later...
Speaking off Countdown Clock, Battery Park City Shuttle Bus (Downtown Connection) has countdown clock.

I found it on internet.

5020522680_36ebe389c9.jpg

I thought there were clocks like this and B35 swore up and down that they were just used for the time. Most are, but there are some that give you the connecting time like the one shown below for the Battery Park City Shuttle Bus.

The clocks work a lot better for the LIRR, but they seem not to work as well for the subways or buses.

Speaking of LIRR, most stations have the clocks. The remaining ones are to get them by the end of the year:

• Hillside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, HPA, LIC, ENY, Nostrand Av, Malverne, West Hempstead, St Albans, Albertson, Sea Cliff, Glen Street, Glen Cove, Locust Valley, Oyster Bay

Most MNR stations don't have them (that's why they're online).

Archived