M1OO (Kingsbridge Depot) - The Bronx

M2Limited

This is actually the first time I can remember in recent history that the M100 has been the only Manhattan route in a Bronx depot! Amsterdam, and Mother Clara Hale are Bronx division depots as well. When Hale reopens, It will likely take back all of it's previous Manhattan routes.

Before The M100 went o Ansterdam, it was always Based out of Kingsbridge from when it used to Run up to Riverdale..... Also Kingsbridge is actually in manhattan ... crazy huh!... 3 bronx depots are located or was located in manhattan, Kingsbridge, Hale, and Amsterdam (Also a Manhattan Division).. Shrugs

Um...once upon a time, the M5 use to operate out of Kingsbridge Depot...the OLD Kingsbridge Depot.

Oh and "East New York", the M100 was not the ONLY bus route from Manhattan to operate out of the Bronx division. The M60 operated out of Mother Clara Hale when it debuted back in 2003 (I think that's the right year). M.C.H. - a BRONX division depot.

Um...once upon a time, the M5 use to operate out of Kingsbridge Depot...the OLD Kingsbridge Depot.

Oh and "East New York", the M100 was not the ONLY bus route from Manhattan to operate out of the Bronx division. The M60 operated out of Mother Clara Hale when it debuted back in 2003 (I think that's the right year). M.C.H. - a BRONX division depot.

If that the case the same can be said for the M1 M2 M7 M30 M98 etc.

What I never understood is how MCH and AMS were considered "BX Divisions" when they had NO "BX" Routes...it made some sense when Hale had the BX21 and BX33 and AMS had the BX15..but once they became all Manhattan Routes that logic was lost.

I didn't say it was the only route. What I said was this is the first time I can remember when there was only 1 Manhattan route out of a Bronx depot. My point was there has always been several in addition to the m100. I.e. m1, 2, 5, 7, etc.

That was very briefly, in the mid-1980's, when the 132nd Street Depot had to close mid-pick due to some structural issues. For the rest of that pick, the routes were broken up…

M3 to Amsterdam

M4 to Hudson Pier

M5 to Kingsbridge

M20 (now M116) to 146th Street (later Mother Hale)

Because it was done mid-pick, every driver who had picked work in 132nd Street had to get paid round-trip travel time between 132nd Street and at least one "foreign" depot.

For example, if a guy had a run on the M4, he got paid for…

- travel time from 132nd to Hudson, by bus, at time-and-a-half;

- early report at Hudson (so he could pull out a bus and get it all the way to Fort Washington & 193rd Street on time), at time-and-a-half;

- the regular run pay;

- late clear at Hudson (because he had to return to Hudson at the end of the run), at time-and-a-half;

- travel time back from Hudson to 132nd, by bus, at time-and-a-half.

But wait, it gets better: Remember that OA bus operators also pick their extras, so if the run went to one foreign depot and the extra went to another (e.g. M4/001 at Hudson and M5/X02 at KB), then there was paid travel time between the foreign depots, by bus, at time-and-a-half, plus another paid travel from the second foreign depot back to 132nd.

As you can imagine, lots of senior drivers made lots of money and retired that year!

The M60 debuted in 1989 at MCH. At the beginning, it ran every 30 minutes all day (no overnights), and its Manhattan terminal was at 125th & Lenox

As for the M100, don't forget when Kingsbridge was closed for rehabilitation (early 1990's, I think). Most of its routes were moved to Coliseum or Gun Hill, except that the M100 went to Walnut.

Archived