Stop robbing the money train: Cuomo must end the raid on transit coffers

Broadway Local

alg_attorney-general_andrew-cuomo.jpg

Here's how Gov. Cuomo can get a good start on his pledges to reform the budget and restore confidence in the honesty of State government: by creating a Lock Box guaranteeing that funds intended for mass transit are spent solely on mass transit.

Over the years, various state laws that created "dedicated" transit funds guaranteed that they would be spent for the "sole purpose" of supporting public transit. Last year, former Gov. David Paterson and the Legislature broke this public promise. They smashed open the piggy bank and took $143 million in transit funding for other purposes. This triggered extensive cuts in bus and subway service.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/01/20/2011-01-20_stop_robbing_the_money_train_cuomo_most_stop_raiding_transit_coffers.html#ixzz1BcLEohDP

gothamist is reporting the next M.T.A. fare hike could dwarf the last one.

CEO Bob Foran painted a dire, depressing picture of the future yesterday. He estimated that, because of ballooning debt, the M.T.A. may have no choice but to raise bus and subway fares by approximately four and one-half times the last fare increase (25 cents).

If this is true, and if my math is correct 4-1/2 X 25 cents would equal a fare increase of $1.13.

That would mean bus and subway fare would increase to between $3.25 and a weird $3.38 (more likely $3.40), correct?

It's a grim picture: In 2025 (fourteen years from now), the M.T.A. is expected to owe $2.5 billion in debt payments.

Story and photo from gothamist: http://gothamist.com/2011/01/25/next_mta_fare_hike_could_dwarf_last.php

gothamist is reporting the next M.T.A. fare hike could dwarf the last one.

CEO Bob Foran painted a dire, depressing picture of the future yesterday. He estimated that, because of ballooning debt, the M.T.A. may have no choice but to raise bus and subway fares by approximately four and one-half times the last fare increase (25 cents).

If this is true, and if my math is correct 4-1/2 X 25 cents would equal a fare increase of $1.13.

That would mean bus and subway fare would increase to between $3.25 and a weird $3.38 (more likely $3.40), correct?

It's a grim picture: In 2025 (fourteen years from now), the M.T.A. is expected to owe $2.5 billion in debt payments.

Story and photo from gothamist: http://gothamist.com/2011/01/25/next_mta_fare_hike_could_dwarf_last.php

The day that I never have to set foot on the subway or local bus will be the happiest day of my life.

I would and do. At least my car is clean, comfortable and safe. And I have more control over the schedule. Not complete control, but much more.

Between my car, wife's car, gas & insurance costs me $800/mo. but well worth every penny IMO. At least I know where my money is going.

I would and do. At least my car is clean, comfortable and safe. And I have more control over the schedule. Not complete control, but much more.

Between my car, wife's car, gas & insurance costs me $800/mo. but well worth every penny IMO. At least I know where my money is going.

It also goes to pollute the environment and fuel inefficiency. By fuel inefficiency, I mean the gas moves less people per gallon than for a bigger vehicle like a bus.

let's see FG. You prepared to pay $3.50 a gallon and rising when you do get a car?

The high cost of gas is because of financial disservice duche bags who speculate on every barrel of oil.

They drive the cost of every barrel up by buying and selling repeatedly amongst themselves before the barrel ever gets to market which is why fuel prices are always high and peak during the summer months when people are expected to travel most.

All for profit for themselves, so they can take a cut of the "gain."

Of course, this "gain" is passed on to you, the gas purchasing consumer, at the pump.

One more example of bankers f***ing everything up. And yet again the government refuses to do anything about this.

Multiply your post and Forest Glen's by 5 million and see what that gets us. Unfortunately if we don't properly fund our transit system and don't make it a more desirable alternative to driving, that's exactly what we're going to get. The system's got to be faster, more comfortable and more reliable than it currently is. If that's too much to ask for, then we're going to have some real nasty gridlock in the future, worse than what we already have. Albany, find a way to properly fund the MTA and stop effing around.

I find it somewhat unreasonable that the people that demands a cleaner subway system are the same ones that demands express bus fares be subsidized by us local bus/subway riders. if express bus riders were to take on their fare share of the burden, then maybe the buses/subways can have a little extra money to be cleaned up.

You can't have everything if you aren't willing to give up something. Plus if the system is so terrible, then find an alternative. No one forces anyone to do something they don't want. Pay more to: ride the express bus/LIRR, buy a car, move to another city.

Rather than an outright fare hike, I still think that [on lesser used routes], they could merge some runs [rather than 1 every 30 min, make it every 45min etc]. Smaller stuff to make the buses more filled up. And the benefit would be to free up those extra buses to the more crowded lines. I mean why should one line have just 40% filled and another have like 110%? they should try to balance out the buses more.

Archived