B11 idea! Extend it to Ralph Ave?

Shortline Bus

Thought i ask your guys who live in Brooklyn or know about buses in that boro.

It has been brought up by a couple of posters on this site and also the few times in last few years I been on the (B6).

Since The B6 is SRO crushloaded 7 days a week in the neighborhoods such as Flatbush, East Flatbush, Flatlands and Canarise it serves what about this idea.

Extend the (B11) via Avenue J to/from Ralph Ave/Flatlands Ave in Georgetown?

What you think?

It has been brought up by a couple of posters on this site and also the few times in last few years I been on the (B6).

Since The B6 is SRO crushloaded 7 days a week in the neighborhoods such as Flatbush, East Flatbush, Flatlands and Canarise it serves what about this idea.

What you think?

I live right near the (B11) as good as it is now I wouldn't change anything about it. :cool:

Leave the B11 as is... When I lived briefly in Midwood, I lived near the B6 and B11... The B6 isn't too bad around Coney Island Ave and Ave J... What you could do is have some B6s start at different spots to alleviate overcrowding.

That's true... The (B6) is usually only crowded peak direction, but the headways on the (B6) are epic. A bunch of buses just keep coming...and coming.... and coming B)

That's true... The (B6) is usually only crowded peak direction, but the headways on the (B6) are epic. A bunch of buses just keep coming...and coming.... and coming B)

I would just walk up to Ave J. and if I was too lazy to walk I'd hop on a bus since the B6 or B11 was always coming.

What you think?

- Since when was the B6 diverted?

- Extending the B11 to Ralph av would do absolutely NOTHING for the B6.

What you could do is have some B6s start at different spots to alleviate overcrowding.

- Glenwood/Nostrand

- Av J/Coney Island av

where else would you like to start em?

The B11 (B11) turns off Avenue J at Bedford Avenue to serve Brooklyn College and the Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) subway station.

Would your extension idea have the B11 (B11) return to Avenue J via Flatbush Avenue or would you straighten it and extend it on Avenue J from Bedford Avenue?

Between Albany Avenue and Ralph Avenue, Avenue H (B6 (B6)) is only two blocks north of Avenue J. The B103 (B103) also serves Avenue H between Flatbush Avenue and Glenwood Road.

Maybe Avenue H is a little more important than Avenue J?

- Since when was the B6 diverted?

- Extending the B11 to Ralph av would do absolutely NOTHING for the B6.

- Glenwood/Nostrand

- Av J/Coney Island av

where else would you like to start em?

Are you asking me or is that a rhetorical question? The reason I say this is because most of the crowding is before Ocean and Ave J going towards Bensonhurst and vice versa.

The B11 (B11) turns off Avenue J at Bedford Avenue to serve Brooklyn College and the Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) subway station.

Would your extension idea have the B11 (B11) return to Avenue J via Flatbush Avenue or would you straighten it and extend it on Avenue J from Bedford Avenue?

Between Albany Avenue and Ralph Avenue, Avenue H (B6 (B6)) is only two blocks north of Avenue J. The B103 (B103) also serves Avenue H between Flatbush Avenue and Glenwood Road.

Avenue H is more residential than is Avenue J for the most part, but that doesn't mean that Avenue H isn't important per se.

Are you asking me or is that a rhetorical question?

The reason I say this is because most of the crowding is before Ocean and Ave J going towards Bensonhurst and vice versa.

Take it however you want.....

But from me, it was meant as an actual question.

The B11 turns off Avenue J at Bedford Avenue to serve Brooklyn College and the Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue subway station.

Would your extension idea have the B11 return to Avenue J via Flatbush Avenue or would you straighten it and extend it on Avenue J from Bedford Avenue?

Between Albany Avenue and Ralph Avenue, Avenue H (B6) is only two blocks north of Avenue J. The B103 also serves Avenue H between Flatbush Avenue and Glenwood Road.

Yeah, the B103 is another reason I feel that a B11 extension won't have any bearing on relieving crowding on the B6....

and the "importance" of av H (b/w where the B6/103 runs along) & av J (b/w flatbush & ralph) I don't see as an determining factor...

What you think?

I THANK IT A GREAT IDEA TO PUT THE B11 DOWN WITH THE B6 EVEN IF THE LTD IS RUNNING TOO.B):tdown::tup:

It would run via current route between CI Ave/Ave. J and Nostrand/Flatbush Junction (2)(5) station. After that it could run via Flatbush and then Ave. J to Ralph/Flatlands.

This idea is not meant to restore having the (B11) run down all the way to Canarise and the Rock. Pwy (L) station as it did between say 1979-87 as the 2nd route to the (B6).

Instead this idea would be to provide a new crosstown route for East Flatbush/Georgetown route along a new poential profit making area. Avenue J is a long few blocks between Avenue H/Glenwood on the (B6) (B103) and Flatlands (B82). Just a thought

Take it however you want.....

But from me, it was meant as an actual question.

Yeah, the B103 is another reason I feel that a B11 extension won't have any bearing on relieving crowding on the B6....

and the "importance" of av H (b/w where the B6/103 runs along) & av J (b/w flatbush & ralph) I don't see as an determining factor...

The reason I asked was because if I recall correctly, some of them are already only running in sections and Ave J/Coney Island may be one of them, but I can't recall for sure and I was thinking you probably knew that already since you're a Brooklynite and such and do a lot of bus fanning.

Glenwood/Nostrand would be a great spot to start them too as you said if they aren't already, as that area is pretty high volume and I would think they would bunch up there a lot with all of the congestion there.

I can't speak too much on the B6 going further east though since I would usually take the B11 and get off at the last stop there by Brooklyn College and head south towards Ave L the few times that I had to go that way, or just walk down to Ave. M and take the B9, but I would imagine there is probably good a volume of riders going and coming from that way also on the B6.

I did however use the B6 going towards Bensonhurst as I had friends living there at the time and basically from around Coney Island Avenue or so where I would get on at it's not that crush loaded that you need to run it in sections. In fact it really isn't all that crowded in comparison to the stops before Ocean Avenue.

It would run via current route between CI Ave/Ave. J and Nostrand/Flatbush Junction (2)(5) station. After that it could run via Flatbush and then Ave. J to Ralph/Flatlands.

This idea is not meant to restore having the (B11) run down all the way to Canarise and the Rock. Pwy (L) station as it did between say 1979-87 as the 2nd route to the (B6).

Instead this idea would be to provide a new crosstown route for East Flatbush/Georgetown route along a new poential profit making area. Avenue J is a long few blocks between Avenue H/Glenwood on the (B6) (B103) and Flatlands (B82). Just a thought

Just keep in mind that below Ave J. I find that if anything folks would be taking the express bus or driving, but that depends on how far east we're talking of course. This generally applies to the areas where there are more houses and less apartments though. As far as the walk goes, I personally didn't find it all that bad. I was in between Ave M and Ave J and I had no problem taking the Q train and getting off at either stop and walking since both Avenues can be rather commercial in certain spots, so folks would do some shopping and then be on their way home.

Just keep in mind that below Ave J. I find that if anything folks would be taking the express bus or driving, but that depends on how far east we're talking of course. This generally applies to the areas where there are more houses and less apartments though. As far as the walk goes, I personally didn't find it all that bad. I was in between Ave M and Ave J and I had no problem taking the Q train and getting off at either stop and walking since both Avenues can be rather commercial in certain spots.

My friend this area is not midwood. It's East Flatbush and Georgetown.

The (B11) would mainly run via Ave. J under this idea except for the current loop routing to serve the Flatbush (2)(5) station and Brooklyn College.

I THANK IT A GREAT IDEA TO PUT THE B11 DOWN WITH THE B6 EVEN IF THE LTD IS RUNNING TOO.B):tdown::tup:

The thing is though the B11 already runs with the B6 in the heaviest sections of the route and it really isn't used like the B6 is. One reason I can think of is that it's local, doesn't come as frequently as the B6 and if folks actually took the B11 currently they would have to transfer anyway, so they don't bother and it also seems like not tons of people are going to or coming from that area of Sunset Park where the B11 goes. Besides even if you did extend it I don't see what the point would be because you already have local B6s in addition to the limited stop B6s... Dare I say it, but it would be a waste and I'm usually always one for additional service, but here I don't see how it's warranted. :eek:

The reason I asked was because if I recall correctly, some of them are already only running in sections and Ave J/Coney Island may be one of them, but I can't recall for sure and I was thinking you probably knew that already since you're a Brooklynite and such and do a lot of bus fanning.

Glenwood/Nostrand would be a great spot to start them too as you said if they aren't already, as that area is pretty high volume and I would think they would bunch up there a lot with all of the congestion there.

I can't speak too much on the B6 going further east though since I would usually take the B11 and get off at the last stop there by Brooklyn College and head south towards Ave L the few times that I had to go that way, or just walk down to Ave. M and take the B9, but I would imagine there is probably good a volume of riders going and coming from that way also on the B6.

I did however use the B6 going towards Bensonhurst as I had friends living there at the time and basically from around Coney Island Avenue or so where I would get on at it's not that crush loaded that you need to run it in sections. In fact it really isn't all that crowded in comparison to the stops before Ocean Avenue.

Yes, those 2 intersections I stated earlier, are current short turns of the B6... Which is why I was asking, where else would you opt to originate B6's from....

Since you can't speak too much on the EB B6, I can, and will, bro.....

The crowding on the B6 east of glenwood/nostrand, is worse than that of the B6 west of the that same intersection.... I don't even have to hesitate, or 2nd guess myself in sayin that....

puttin it to you another way....

- heading east, there are B6's that emanate from cropsey, over there by UP depot (obviously), as well as from CI av/Av J, and from Glenwood/Nostrand....

[that's 2 other starting points]

- heading west, there are B6's that emanate from New Lots av (3) (obviously) & from Rockaway Pkwy (L)....

[that's only 1 other starting point]

Coming from ENY/Canarsie, riders generally are heading WB to 3 main areas:

(if you count ENY, make it 4, as the Canarsie/Rockaway Pkwy. sta itself, would be one of those areas)

- Ralph/Flatlands

- Utica/Av H

- Glenwood/Nostrand

Yes, those 2 intersections I stated earlier, are current short turns of the B6... Which is why I was asking, where else would you opt to originate B6's from....

Since you can't speak too much on the EB B6, I can, and will, bro.....

The crowding on the B6 east of glenwood/nostrand, is worse than that of the B6 west of the that same intersection.... I don't even have to hesitate, or 2nd guess myself in sayin that....

puttin it to you another way....

- heading east, there are B6's that emanate from cropsey, over there by UP depot (obviously), as well as from CI av/Av J, and from Glenwood/Nostrand....

[that's 2 other starting points]

- heading west, there are B6's that emanate from New Lots av (3) (obviously) & from Rockaway Pkwy (L)....

[that's only 1 other starting point]

Coming from ENY/Canarsie, riders generally are heading WB to 3 main areas:

(if you count ENY, make it 4, as the Canarsie/Rockaway Pkwy. sta itself, would be one of those areas)

- Ralph/Flatlands

- Utica/Av H

- Glenwood/Nostrand

Yeah, I used to be over by UP a lot with the B3, X28 and I also used to take the B4 to Bay Ridge and it passes the B6 at some point and while there is volume the volume is no where near what it is over by the areas you're describing. It makes sense also that those areas have high ridership because they only have L train basically and after that there's a big stretch to cover before you get to another subway, and then you have Brooklyn College and other schools along the way that folks go to.

Just keep in mind that below Ave J. I find that if anything folks would be taking the express bus or driving, but that depends on how far east we're talking of course. This generally applies to the areas where there are more houses and less apartments though. As far as the walk goes, I personally didn't find it all that bad. I was in between Ave M and Ave J and I had no problem taking the Q train and getting off at either stop and walking since both Avenues can be rather commercial in certain spots, so folks would do some shopping and then be on their way home.

yup.....

I don't get the sense that those folks over there want local bus service....

Nor should the B11 be compromised to give it to them !

My friend this area is not midwood. It's East Flatbush and Georgetown.

The (B11) would mainly run via Ave. J under this idea except for the current loop routing to serve the Flatbush (2)(5) station and Brooklyn College.

You're right, in that, that area's not Midwood... Flatbush av is pretty much the eastern boundary of that neighborhood

but....

East Flatbush is NOWHERE NEAR Georgetown.

That area along Av. J you're talking about sending B11's down, that's flatlands.... News 12 Brooklyn makes that same ridiculous mistake/assumption....

The thing is though the B11 already runs with the B6 in the heaviest sections of the route and it really isn't used like the B6 is. One reason I can think of is that it's local, doesn't come as frequently as the B6 and if folks actually took the B11 currently they would have to transfer anyway, so they don't bother and it also seems like not tons of people are going to or coming from that area of Sunset Park where the B11 goes. Besides even if you did extend it I don't see what the point would be because you already have local B6s in addition to the limited stop B6s... Dare I say it, but it would be a waste and I'm usually always one for additional service, but here I don't see how it's warranted. :eek:

same thing I thought when I read the thread title...

the only portion where the B11 is used like the B6 is, is in between the Av J station (Q) & the junction, itself....

If you need av H/utica (which is a LTD stop on the B46 btw), Flatlands/Ralph, or anything east of Flatlands/Ralph, what good would an extension of the 11 do for those riders? It would actually exacerbate their commute....

Those riders would be better off staying on/waiting for B6 locals, like you said....

Yeah, I used to be over by UP a lot with the B3, X28 and I also used to take the B4 to Bay Ridge and it passes the B6 at some point and while there is volume the volume is no where near what it is over by the areas you're describing. It makes sense also that those areas have high ridership because they only have L train basically and after that there's a big stretch to cover before you get to another subway, and then you have Brooklyn College and other schools along the way that folks go to.

and here's something else to consider too...

although the B6 & the B82 runs along Flatlands b/w Ralph av & Rockaway Pkwy, the majority of pax are looking to board B6's.

B82 does nothing for you if you need the IRT...

B6 does... hell, even the B103 does....

and the WB riderships of those 3 routes clearly illustrates that point!

and here's something else to consider too...

although the B6 & the B82 runs along Flatlands b/w Ralph av & Rockaway Pkwy, the majority of pax are looking to board B6's.

B82 does nothing for you if you need the IRT...

B6 does... hell, even the B103 does....

and the WB riderships of those 3 routes clearly illustrates that point!

Part of it is where it goes, but also that the B11 is just "slow" compared to the B6. You can have three B6s show up before a B11 comes and by then everyone has jumped on the B6. lol If I wasn't in a rush and I saw a B11 I would take it because I wasn't going far and I knew it wouldn't get crowded like the B6, but if I needed to be really somewhere, especially going towards Western Brooklyn, I would need the B6 because of where it goes.

B35 define where in the world is the neighborhhods of 'Flatlands' and 'Georgetown'?

I made this suggestion not only because of for a couple of posters in previous topic making this idea but for this reason as well. I have a friend who lives right off Glenwood/East 36th who fixes my computer on occasion that I visit.

When I need to get to the Flatbush/Nostrand (2)(5) station, and wait at the East 36th/Glenwood stop, sometimes I have to wait 15-20 minutes for a (B6) Local. While the (B6) "Limited" passes me by. Then when the (B6) Local does show up, it has severe bunching with as many 3-4 buses showing up at once.

Maybe the (B6) needs more locals but I thought extending the (B11) to Ralph/Flatlands might have helped. reactions?

Archived