MTA putting cameras on R160 subway cars

trainfan22

An initiative to put surveillance cameras onboard subway cars took another small step forward Monday as the MTA announced a pilot program to install cameras on two subway cars.

The prototype cars will be the new R160 model, now in service on the L, N, J, M and Z lines.

Transit officials say there is no timetable in place yet, but that the pilot could be underway late this year or early next.

A similar pilot is already underway on buses. About half the Manhattan bus fleet has been outfitted with cameras as part of a $5 million pilot program, which officials say has been successful in combating vandalism.

Also Monday, the MTA detailed a number of ways it can cut down on skyrocketing construction costs, like those that at the Fulton Street Transit Center, a project more than $350 million over budget. The recommendations were made by a blue-ribbon panel formed last year, and include changing the way the MTA awards contracts and creating a reserve fund to hedge against cost overruns.

"We are looking at breaking up the contracts into smaller pieces so we attract additional contractors," said MTA Executive Director Elliot "Lee" Sander. "We're working with the construction industry, with labor, in terms of ensuring we have as many people available in terms of the trades."

The panel found many of the MTA's cost overruns are due to factors outside of its control, like the devalued dollar, and increases in the cost of materials. The cost of steel, just as one example, is up 91 percent since 2003.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=5&aid=80986

They're doing that because those cars are getting tagged on those lines. It's a test I guess to see if this stops graffiti / scratchiti etc. from happening. If it does, look to see them on a whole lot more R160's in the not too distant future.

Invasion of privacy for 99.9% of riders.

- Andy

Eh, I don't really see it that way. Can't think of any time I've ever done anything THAT private on a train. If it's used to target / harass photographers I could see that becoming a problem maybe though.

Eh, I don't really see it that way. Can't think of any time I've ever done anything THAT private on a train. If it's used to target / harass photographers I could see that becoming a problem maybe though.

Yep.

- Andy

They should have done this years ago. Some TA's have had cameras installed for 15 years now.

If our government hadn't gone 1984 on people's civil liberties i think people would have been more open to the idea way back when. I don't feel like having "big brother" watching me. I am sure i'm not the only person who shares this feeling.

- Andy

Privacy is a privilage on public transit.

Any of that type of thinking is great & fine, however with the laws passed since 9/11 the system could be used for not so great & fine ends by the folks on the other end of those cameras. I see it as another way for the government to become even more oppressive.

- Andy

If our government hadn't gone 1984 on people's civil liberties i think people would have been more open to the idea way back when. I don't feel like having "big brother" watching me. I am sure i'm not the only person who shares this feeling.

- Andy

I agree with you. And modern technology only makes it worse, with the availability of the internet and all. What stops some deranged worker who's making minimum wage, supposedly monitoring the cameras, from uploading the videos if he sees something that he likes? Next thing we know, we all could end up on YouTube. It's reached the point that the minute we leave our homes, we lose any privacy we think we might have.

I agree with you. And modern technology only makes it worse, with the availability of the internet and all. What stops some deranged worker who's making minimum wage, supposedly monitoring the cameras, from uploading the videos if he sees something that he likes? Next thing we know, we all could end up on YouTube. It's reached the point that the minute we leave our homes, we lose any privacy we think we might have.

Exactly.

- Andy

Now come on seb, do you really think MTA would really allow video to get out? If thats the case then shouldn't the countless other transit agencies across the country that have security systems have these problems? Why would anyone other than MTA Police, and Graffiti task force be monitoring the cams?

Now come on seb, do you really think MTA would really allow video to get out? If thats the case then shouldn't the countless other transit agencies across the country that have security systems have these problems? Why would anyone other than MTA Police, and Graffiti task force be monitoring the cams?

Yes, I think it's a serious problem faced by any security company. It's certainly not unique to the MTA or to New York City.

It would work for the buses, but how would it work for the trains?

Remote wireless link, or end of run download. Combine onboard cams with station cams for full coverage. The one thing i will say about this idea, is that it would make it easier to catch people fleeing via subway, but it would only work if it were wirelessly linked to a live monitoring station. There is a slim chance BPL (data go through the rails/3rd rail) could be used. Now that i'm thinking more about it, you'd need a substantial number of people to do live monitoring, or minimal people & focus on the worst areas, plus NYPD/PANYNJ police priority for fleeing suspects.

You could have VOC vapor sensors for spray paint that activated the cam, elevated voice stress level/volume sensors, window pressure sensors would be EASY to implement, have the sensors activate the cameras for live monitoring, save on electricity too. Another thing you could do is have someone on the train be monitoring the cams, AND/OR at the station office...

- Andy

It's called "Bomb Squad" not Graffiti Task Force. Don't ask. I was convicted.

Your both wrong. Its called the Vandal Squad. Every Transit District has officers assigned to it.

Around late April...So call vanda squad try to question me and my friend at Bontanic garden train station on the S line,because they thought we were about to do Graffiti inside the tunnel around 1:00 in the afternoon after school.

Archived