Languages used at Metrocard Vending Machines

Via Garibaldi 8

A little while ago while I was in Grand Central, I stopped to buy my usual Express Bus Plus Card and as usual I selected "Italian" for the language to make my transaction just for the hell of it since I like to see the MTA's translation skills or lack there of. Sometimes I pick Spanish or French since I also know those languages... Then this thought dawned on me....

#1. How does the MTA decide which languages will be used at MTA vending machines?

#2. On their website, why do they only offer machine translations of other languages? I know that they do use professional interpreters from language companies when they need them, as a friend of mine who also works in my field has them as a client.

They are fairly common languages.

Also many German speakers also speak English. Spanish not so much and many French do not either.

However there are other common languages that aren't included which perhaps could be, like Russian or Swedish which many NYC tourists speak...

Website translation are from Google so it's not accurate.

Japanese citizens who visit Japan does not speak English very well. Even there are Japanese who lives in NY longer without speaking clear English.

There MVM with Japanese language at NYC Visitor Center at 7th Av/53rd St, somewhere in Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall/Chambers St (4)(5)(6)(J)(Z), World Trade Center-Park Place-Chambers St (A)(C)(2)(3), 55th St entrance of 57th St (N)(Q)(R) Station.

Most Airtrain JFK and PATH MVM has Japanese info.

Is the translation actually accurate or is it just half-assed?

The machine translations are so so on the website, but you can't expect much for that reason, but why even bother to have those when they're so bad?

The ones at the machines are okay and the multilingual sign they used to have on the (1) train going to South Ferry were well translated into Italian, Spanish and French. That leads me to believe that they must use professional translators at times for important stuff.

They are fairly common languages.

Also many German speakers also speak English. Spanish not so much and many French do not either.

However there are other common languages that aren't included which perhaps could be, like Russian or Swedish which many NYC tourists speak...

Do they have Russian as a language? It would be useful in areas like Brighton Beach with a large Russian population.

BTW, when I’m on the self-checkout line at ShopRite, I always click the button for Spanish, just to hear the way they say certain words and compare it to the dialect I’m familiar with. Then again, I’m so familiar with the options that it could be in German or Russian or another language I'm unfamiliar with and I’d still know what to do.

Do they have Russian as a language? It would be useful in areas like Brighton Beach with a large Russian population.

BTW, when I’m on the self-checkout line at ShopRite, I always click the button for Spanish, just to hear the way they say certain words and compare it to the dialect I’m familiar with. Then again, I’m so familiar with the options that it could be in German or Russian or another language I'm unfamiliar with and I’d still know what to do.

At a few stations... Next time I'm in Sheepshead Bay I'll check since as you know it also now has a big Russian population as well, albeit not as big as Brighton Beach.

I havent seen it but then again i rarely use the fare controls in the brighton beach neighborhood...usually if im going down there im going all the way to stillwell

Archived