D Train Issue

'89 Liberty MCI

Is the objective to come up with any kind of "express service" in the Bronx, or is the objective to get the B-train performing more runs to the Bronx in the evening pm rush hours?

What is the rationale of sending B-trains to Washington Heights - 168th Street, and then establishing a Bronx D-train local, and a Bronx D-train express - when the reported problem was very crowded not frequent D-trains, and B-trains ending their runs at 145th Street early.

Is this message thread about solving a problem, or about just seeing what fantasy train movements that can make?

mike

Is the objective to come up with any kind of "express service" in the Bronx, or is the objective to get the B-train performing more runs to the Bronx in the evening pm rush hours?

What is the rationale of sending B-trains to Washington Heights - 168th Street, and then establishing a Bronx D-train local, and a Bronx D-train express - when the reported problem was very crowded not frequent D-trains, and B-trains ending their runs at 145th Street early.

Is this message thread about solving a problem, or about just seeing what fantasy train movements that can make?

mike

He meant to keep the (D) express for longer in the Bronx and keep frequent service to the local stations along the Concourse line. But because people appear to want to avoid all the stops along Central Park West, it's best to put the terminating (;) trains elsewhere so the (D) can both run express and have extra trains continue as locals. The Concourse local riders will get their express run along Central Park West, and the Concourse express riders can ride express along the Concourse line past it's current time frame. The (;) simply has to terminate elsewhere to make that possible. It's not a fantasy, but a problem that he has tried to work out a possible solution to.

I do not travel to the Bronx, so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the facts he presented, but I think you tend to over-zealously look for "foam" and "fantasizing" in perfectly logical responses not influenced by personal biases.

mike

Mike: It's not about "fantasy train movements." As I posted earlier, I brought up the suggestion of expanding the current PM rush (B)/(D) pattern at a President's Forum at 2 Bwy last November and was met with two responses: 1) Expanding the current pattern means extending the (B) for a longer period of time (costs more $$$), and 2) these extra (B)s wouldn't see much utilization except from those who have no choice but to take it (i.e Concourse lcl riders); MTA brass also mentioned the (approximately) equal ridership distribution among Concourse Exp and lcl pax, most of which prefer express Manhattan service.

Thus, my (D)/<D> suggestion was not for foaming's sake, but one possible solution to the problem of expanding rush-hour Concourse service while preserving the Manhattan express option at all Concourse stations. This may not be the only (or even the best) solution - just one possibility.

Personally, an expansion of the hours of operation of the current rush pattern (say, to 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM) with more frequent service, if possible, is absolutely fine with me.

He meant to keep the (D) express for longer in the Bronx and keep frequent service to the local stations along the Concourse line. But because people appear to want to avoid all the stops along Central Park West, it's best to put the terminating (B) trains elsewhere so the (D) can both run express and have extra trains continue as locals. The Concourse local riders will get their express run along Central Park West, and the Concourse express riders can ride express along the Concourse line past it's current time frame. The (B) simply has to terminate elsewhere to make that possible. It's not a fantasy, but a problem that he has tried to work out a possible solution to.

I do not travel to the Bronx, so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the facts he presented, but I think you tend to over-zealously look for "foam" and "fantasizing" in perfectly logical responses not influenced by personal biases.

Exactly; thank you.

Let's see which is more likely to be achieved, to get folks to rally around, to publicize in a way the solves the problem?

a) the addition of extra runs on the B-train, or

B) a re-arrangement of the subway map that affects other subway lines?

Of course extending the B-trains operating times means more B-trains running. Yes, it means more money - yes you want them to spend more money. Why - as you stated the current D-trains are over-crowded, folks have to wait for successive trains to get home, the crowds are huge when baseball games when, other nearby lines have express service for the full rush hours - B/D Bronx users do not. Yes, expanding the B-train will only be used by the folks who use it - DAH!

Of course, you can expect the MTA to say, "well this is a change in our operations" - of course they will say that. Now do you appear more reasonable when you say, "its just a few more runs of the B-train", or "hey let's change the subway of the Bronx and Washington Heights"? If you thought - "a few extra runs of the B-train" met with a simple "No, it can't be done" -- just what do you think your other plan will be met with?

The point is get the MTA to say, "why can't there be a few more runs of the B-train"? It is a reasonable request, and a reasonable question. You just have to get support for the idea, and plenty of folks backing you, asking the same questions. Then demanding the extra service!

The political getting community support world deals in the world of the possible, the world where agreements can be made, getting extra runs of the B-train is possible in that world. Getting a new arrangement of the D-train into local D-trains and express D-trains running at the same time - while moving B-trains to Washington Heights is not possible. Not possible - not in terms of actual subway stations - but in terms of changing a lot of things while appearing to be reasonable in getting what one wants. Having a few extra runs of an existing train route is in that sense "easier".

The political getting community support world can more easily wrap its mind around - "oh, it's just a few more runs of the B-train" versus "let's change the northern Bronx and Washington Heights subway map".

Is the goal to get a few extra runs of the B-train, or a change in the subway map, instituting an operation of the D-train that has never been seen before? The B-train is basically a pattern that the decades ago C-train had - all local up Central Park West and the Bronx. The D-train both as local and rush-hour express is a pattern that has never been seen on the IND lines in the Bronx.

If you're going to involve the political getting community support world to achieve your idea - your idea has to be simple, on the merits explainable, do-able in the REAL world, do-able in the world of interests, do-able in the world of getting support for your idea. Your message, your idea can not change from week to week, or "new idea to new idea", it has to be on-point. And it has to involve more than just yourself speaking at a meeting, but plenty of people speaking about the idea in many ways. This builds further support for your idea to the point your idea - is seen as the "common sense" response, the "RIGHT" response to the problem.

Again, what is your objective? What are you going to keep your sights on?

Mike

In simplest terms, my objective is to see improvements in PM-rush Concourse service, due to the fact that the current service levels are inadequate.

Seeing as you've raised many valid points about advocating changes and community/political feasibility, I will state for the record that increased frequency of (B)/(D) service, along with expanded hours of operation of the PM rush pattern to 7:30pm or 8:00pm (preferably the latter) will suffice.

I brought up the suggestion of expanding the current PM rush (B)/(D) pattern at a President's Forum at 2 Bwy last November and was met with two responses: 1) Expanding the current pattern means extending the (B) for a longer period of time (costs more $$$), and 2) these extra (B)s wouldn't see much utilization except from those who have no choice but to take it (i.e Concourse lcl riders); MTA brass also mentioned the (approximately) equal ridership distribution among Concourse Exp and lcl pax, most of which prefer express Manhattan service.

MTA had the money to run the (B) later on the Brighton Line (which restored some late evening (B) service on CPW and 6th Avenue), MTA also ran the (W) later at that time. Even during the doomsday cuts, Astoria got (Q) service running even later in the evening (after 11pm both directions) than the old (W) ran. Running the (B) until 7:30pm can't cost anymore than running the (Q) until 11pm.

(B) riders can transfer to/from the (A) or (D) for express service, like how the (6) and <6> riders transfer to/from the (4) and (5) for express service.

MTA had the money to run the (:P later on the Brighton Line (which restored some late evening (;) service on CPW and 6th Avenue), MTA also ran the (W) later at that time. Even during the doomsday cuts, Astoria got (Q) service running even later in the evening (after 11pm both directions) than the old (W) ran. Running the (:) until 7:30pm can't cost anymore than running the (Q) until 11pm.

(B) riders can transfer to/from the (A) or (D) for express service, like how the (6) and <6> riders transfer to/from the (4) and (5) for express service.

True on both points.

If you're going to involve the political getting community support world to achieve your idea - your idea has to be simple, on the merits explainable, do-able in the REAL world, do-able in the world of interests, do-able in the world of getting support for your idea. Your message, your idea can not change from week to week, or "new idea to new idea", it has to be on-point. And it has to involve more than just yourself speaking at a meeting, but plenty of people speaking about the idea in many ways. This builds further support for your idea to the point your idea - is seen as the "common sense" response, the "RIGHT" response to the problem

Would attending Community Board meetings to make a case for expanded PM-rush (B)/(D) service be a good first step in gathering the necessary community/political support? I'm serious; I really want to see Concourse service improved.

It is good that you are headed in this direction.

One - community boards can not "order" the MTA to do anything, so it is not a matter of talking to them, and getting the improvements accomplished in one step. That does not happen.

No - what the community board CAN DO (and this is what you want done) is to put the issue, the suggestion for the improvement in the B and D-train service ON THE RECORD.

Why is this important? Simple - so that nobody can ever say that the idea, or the request has never been heard of! A community board resolution on this issue in that sense does carry weight.

You can present your case to the community board, present your facts and statistics - whatever you need to persuade the members. What you want from them is a resolution from the board on this matter. Now what community board is going to claim that transit service should not be improved? You're giving them a method to improve the transit service, an accomplish-able method.

There is the website - http://www.nyc.gov - where you will find the City Planning Department website. There you will also find the Community District Profiles, and information about each community board. Also on this website is a listing of all of the community boards, their chairmen, offices and telephone numbers. Through that you can find out when they meet, and the persons on the Transportation Committees, etc.

A quick look shows that there are at least 3 (maybe 4) Bronx community boards that are served by the B and D-trains, Bronx Community Board #4, #5, and #7. I am not sure about Bronx Community District #12, it seems a bit "too north" for the D-train, but I could be wrong.

In any case, getting three (or four) resolutions (one from each board) would bolster and support your case. This makes it easier to approach the locally elected representatives on the city council, and in the state assembly. they often have representatives at the general meetings. While the MTA does not directly take orders from either the city council or the state legislature -- they LISTEN (and often respond) to what these folks have to say. These folks can ask the tough questions, and can demand answers. (So why can't there be a few extra runs of the B-train in the Bronx, over the entire evening rush hour period?)

Going to the boards, also provides practice and feedback in a public meeting. This helps you to "hone" your arguments, and to become a better public speaker about this issue. Plus, it gathers folks on your side, who might put you in touch with other folk who can help you. Yes, this is networking!

----

Now remember that approaching the community boards is not the only step. There is the media, the local Bronx media, and the city-wide media. Who handles cable TV for the Bronx? They have to have local news affairs programs - get this issue covered on those shows. What local community papers exist in the Bronx that can write stories about your proposal? Yes, use them! This builds support for your proposal, and let's others know how to support this idea.

----------

As a start download the Bronx community district profiles, and the latest MTA's station ridership information as a base to determine how many people would be affected by your proposals. Take timed/dated pictures of the crowds at 145th Street, and the crowds on the D-trains. It is harder to argue against such information - so presentation material is handy and needed.

----------

I'm glad that you've started down this path.

Mike

Good points that Mike made. Concourse Express, if you want me to help in any way let me know. I don't live very close to the Concourse but I may be of assistance.

Same with me Concourse Express. I take the (D) sometimes from Co-op City and I used to live right by the (:P(D) in Manhattan and the Bronx so this issue is important to me too. If you need more help, hit me up.

MTA had the money to run the (B) later on the Brighton Line (which restored some late evening (B) service on CPW and 6th Avenue), MTA also ran the (W) later at that time. Even during the doomsday cuts, Astoria got (Q) service running even later in the evening (after 11pm both directions) than the old (W) ran. Running the (B) until 7:30pm can't cost anymore than running the (Q) until 11pm.

Right. A one-seat local ride on the B down CPW is not what we're getting at. Flexibility is important. It's a lot better if I'm at 59 Street, waiting to go up the Concourse and I can either take the D all the way or take the A and catch up to a B at 125 or 145 rather than wait and wait and wait for a D. This allows one to improve the service frequency by simply taking advantage of the flexibility created by improving one service.

Or if I want to go downtown to West 4th from the Concourse it makes a big difference if I can either take the D all the way or take the B to 145 or 125 and then the A. Or I can stay on the B if I don't see the A close by.

Concourse Express: Ideally we all want the (B) running 7 days a week, every trip running from Bedford Pk Blvd to Brighton Beach (or at the very least 145), from around 5am to 11pm (its current hours 5 days a week). Do you want it to serve Bedford Park until 8pm just so we can start making progress somewhere? One more hour on the weekday shouldn't be the end-all be-all. I don't think that's enough.

It is good that you are headed in this direction.

One - community boards can not "order" the MTA to do anything, so it is not a matter of talking to them, and getting the improvements accomplished in one step. That does not happen.

No - what the community board CAN DO (and this is what you want done) is to put the issue, the suggestion for the improvement in the B and D-train service ON THE RECORD.

Why is this important? Simple - so that nobody can ever say that the idea, or the request has never been heard of! A community board resolution on this issue in that sense does carry weight.

You can present your case to the community board, present your facts and statistics - whatever you need to persuade the members. What you want from them is a resolution from the board on this matter. Now what community board is going to claim that transit service should not be improved? You're giving them a method to improve the transit service, an accomplish-able method.

There is the website - http://www.nyc.gov - where you will find the City Planning Department website. There you will also find the Community District Profiles, and information about each community board. Also on this website is a listing of all of the community boards, their chairmen, offices and telephone numbers. Through that you can find out when they meet, and the persons on the Transportation Committees, etc.

A quick look shows that there are at least 3 (maybe 4) Bronx community boards that are served by the B and D-trains, Bronx Community Board #4, #5, and #7. I am not sure about Bronx Community District #12, it seems a bit "too north" for the D-train, but I could be wrong.

In any case, getting three (or four) resolutions (one from each board) would bolster and support your case. This makes it easier to approach the locally elected representatives on the city council, and in the state assembly. they often have representatives at the general meetings. While the MTA does not directly take orders from either the city council or the state legislature -- they LISTEN (and often respond) to what these folks have to say. These folks can ask the tough questions, and can demand answers. (So why can't there be a few extra runs of the B-train in the Bronx, over the entire evening rush hour period?)

Going to the boards, also provides practice and feedback in a public meeting. This helps you to "hone" your arguments, and to become a better public speaker about this issue. Plus, it gathers folks on your side, who might put you in touch with other folk who can help you. Yes, this is networking!

----

Now remember that approaching the community boards is not the only step. There is the media, the local Bronx media, and the city-wide media. Who handles cable TV for the Bronx? They have to have local news affairs programs - get this issue covered on those shows. What local community papers exist in the Bronx that can write stories about your proposal? Yes, use them! This builds support for your proposal, and let's others know how to support this idea.

----------

As a start download the Bronx community district profiles, and the latest MTA's station ridership information as a base to determine how many people would be affected by your proposals. Take timed/dated pictures of the crowds at 145th Street, and the crowds on the D-trains. It is harder to argue against such information - so presentation material is handy and needed.

----------

I'm glad that you've started down this path.

Mike

Thanks for the detailed information and links. This is truly invaluable; I appreciate all your help and advice in this matter.

Pertaining to some of your points: we do have local media here (namely News 12: The Bronx); there may be others. (I believe Norwood News is still around; if so, it'd also help since the (D) is the sole subway line serving that neighborhood.)

Also, for photographic proof of crowding, would shooting video also help? I have a YouTube account and an iPhone 4 and was wondering if capturing some of the crowding on video (especially with baseball season fast approaching) would be helpful.

Good points that Mike made. Concourse Express, if you want me to help in any way let me know. I don't live very close to the Concourse but I may be of assistance.

Thanks '89 Liberty MCI; I have to look up the schedules for upcoming Community Board meetings in The Bronx. Perhaps we, along with others, could go together (schedules permitting of course) and make our case.

Same with me Concourse Express. I take the (D) sometimes from Co-op City and I used to live right by the (B)(D) in Manhattan and the Bronx so this issue is important to me too. If you need more help, hit me up.

Thanks Princelex; I believe we can start by going to an upcoming Comm. Board meeting. I have to check the schedule and find one that doesn't conflict with my schedule (it's a challenge balancing grad school, part-time work, an internship and church!)

Right. A one-seat local ride on the B down CPW is not what we're getting at. Flexibility is important. It's a lot better if I'm at 59 Street, waiting to go up the Concourse and I can either take the D all the way or take the A and catch up to a B at 125 or 145 rather than wait and wait and wait for a D. This allows one to improve the service frequency by simply taking advantage of the flexibility created by improving one service.

Or if I want to go downtown to West 4th from the Concourse it makes a big difference if I can either take the D all the way or take the B to 145 or 125 and then the A. Or I can stay on the B if I don't see the A close by.

Concourse Express: Ideally we all want the (B) running 7 days a week, every trip running from Bedford Pk Blvd to Brighton Beach (or at the very least 145), from around 5am to 11pm (its current hours 5 days a week). Do you want it to serve Bedford Park until 8pm just so we can start making progress somewhere? One more hour on the weekday shouldn't be the end-all be-all. I don't think that's enough.

Yes; I for one wouldn't mind increase Concourse service at all times. However, if we try for too much at once, MTA will simply cite the budget as an impediment. If we can get the rush-hour improvements through, the resulting increase in ridership should lend itself to further improvements down the road. Start small, think big.

I agree with you on the (B) extension to Bedford Park bringing in flexibility to the Concourse Line. For those coming from the Bronx heading downtown, I and other Concourse riders are able to take what's first (B) or (D) to 145th or 125th, then take one of the 8th Avenue lines depending on destination.

I agree with you on the (B) extension to Bedford Park bringing in flexibility to the Concourse Line. For those coming from the Bronx heading downtown, I and other Concourse riders are able to take what's first (B) or (D) to 145th or 125th, then take one of the 8th Avenue lines depending on destination.

Good point.

I also want to add that expanded (B)/(D) service will relieve the overcrowded (4) in The Bronx by attracting more intraborough ridership (in additional to the benefits afforded to interborough riders).

I just dug up some information on the Community Boards...

Community Board 7 serves the neighborhoods Norwood, University Heights, Jerome Park, Bedford Park, Fordham, and Kingsbridge Heights.

The Concourse Line serves some of these neighborhoods at the Norwood - 205 St, Bedford Park Blvd, Kingsbridge Rd, and Fordham Rd stations (which, incidentally, is part of both CB 7 and CB 5 due to its location.)

Community Board 5 serves the neighborhoods of Fordham, University Heights, Morris Heights, Bathgate, and Mount Hope.

Some of these hoods are serviced by the Concourse Line at the Fordham Rd, 182-183 Sts, Tremont Ave, and the 174-175 Sts stations.

Finally, Community Board 4 serves the Highbridge, Concourse, Mount Eden, and Concourse Village neighborhoods; the Concourse Line stations at 170 St, 167 St, and 161 St serve some of these areas.

The next Board Meetings will be held on these dates and times:

CB7: the next Traffic/Transportation Committee* Meeting is Thursday, April 7 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM; the general Board Meeting is on Tuesday, April 19 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

For CB5: General Board Meeting is on Wednesday, April 27, at 6:00 PM.

For CB4: General Board Meeting is on Tuesday, April 26 at 6:00 PM.

*Question: Are members of the general public allowed to speak in the Traffic/Transportation Committee Meeting in CB7?

Question: Are members of the general public allowed to speak in the Traffic/Transportation Committee Meeting in CB7?

--------------

Contact the Community board chairman, and the chairman of the Transportation committee about such a question. Each community board runs their operation a little differently, so a blanket answer is not easy to give. Ask about how much time is a person given for a presentation, etc.

Get your materials and speaking points ready for your first presentation. Bring along a friend, to "read" the room for you before and while you give your presentation, and note follow up questions or concerns.

Good luck, you are on a roll. I can I help. I want to hear what happens.

Mike

Good point.

I also want to add that expanded (B)/(D) service will relieve the overcrowded (4) in The Bronx by attracting more intraborough ridership (in additional to the benefits afforded to interborough riders).

Agreed, even though the (4) is more popular due to the transfer to the (2)(5) at 149th St, the (B) extension would encourage more riders to use the train rather than the Bx1/2 or Bx32 buses nearby.

First off, let me append a previous post of mine...

...as mentioned, the Concourse Line stations in The Bronx serve areas where Community Boards 4, 5, and 7 are located. I must also add Manhattan Community Boards 10 (for 155 St - 8th Ave station) and 9 (for 145 St).

Next General Board meeting for Manhattan CB9: Thursday, April 21st, at 6:30 PM

Next General Board meeting for Manhattan CB10: Wednesday, April 6th, at 6:00 PM

Like Bronx CB7, these two CBs also have Transportation Committees; the corresponding Transportation Committee meetings for Manhattan CB9 and 10 are on the following dates & times:

Man. CB9: Thursday, April 7th at 6:30 PM

Man. CB10: Wednesday, April 13th at 6:30 PM

Now, here's where I need your help. As was extensively discussed in this thread, the mission is to garner support for improved (:) and (D) service by:

1) Extending the hours of operation of the PM-rush Bronx-bound (B) and Concourse Express (D) service, and

2) Increasing the frequency of PM rush-hour service (we may also consider advocating for improved weekend (D) service; reinstating the former 8-minute weekend headway would be a great start IMHO).

However, as is obvious, I cannot do this alone - and even if I could, I'm only one dude - takes more than one to accomplish such a change. If we can raise this issue at each of these CB meetings, political will just may increase, which will (hopefully) lead to action being taken on our behalf.

Now, to speak at a CB general board meeting, one must pre-register, submit a written copy of his/her testimony, and then make his/her case before the Board (3-minute time limit). On my end, I will use ridership data and other MTA figures to highlight the need for these improvements; I'm sure others can contribute other useful testimony.

In short, I'm asking those who want to make the case for improved (B)/(D) service to let me know which CB meetings you'll be able to attend; if we can make our case at multiple CB meetings it's more likely we'll garner more support!

Thank you very much!

~Concourse Express

Hi,

I will attend this week's meetings, if you e-mail me the location information.

Now, I don't live in the Bronx or Harlem, don't ride the B or D trains anymore than once or twice a year, and can not say how an increase in service will benefit me in the slightest. In my case that's the truth.

I will however support your efforts, help you mold your presentation, and offer feedback if I can. At least it is another mind and body.

Mike

I want to show up but I am currently very busy with school work. I'll be free for a while after the 16th. I definitely don't want to chicken out since I would be proud to say that I gave something back to my home borough.

I'm in the same boat as you; I've many tasks to balance myself (project for a class, Master's project, etc. plus work plus TA internship plus other obligations). However, even if you're able to attend/testify at only one meeting, it will be a huge help!

As of right now, my schedule is such that I'll be able to attend the upcoming Bronx CB7 and CB4 general board meetings; CB5 meeting depends on whether or not I'll be free that day. I've no free time on Thursdays so I can't attend the Thursday meetings at the other CBs I mentioned. That said, I appreciate any and all help in this matter!

Does anybody know what happened to the (D) at around 18:00-19:30 today? There was no service for 40 minutes when I was at 145 Street. (A) was good, (B) was good, and (C) was good. A half hour after I missed one (D), another one comes through empty, not in service, and doesn't stop. 5 minutes later one shows up and is so crowded that half the people waiting got left behind. 5 minutes after that another one shows up and half the remaining people from before get left behind. I was one of those who got left twice and I got out of the station and went elsewhere. 40 minutes means there were at least three trains missing.

I really hate the (D) train, I swear to God the TA does not give two rats' asses about that route. Every day you can barely fit on that train even when there are no Yankee games. The way the TA does things is so illogical. The (D) is the only service going up the Concourse at that time while the (A) and the (C) go their way together and the (:( finishes there at 145. They really cannot pull a train from any of those lines and send it up as a (D)? I know the crews gotta hang out at the end (145, 168, 207), but unless all the crews are going home, they can't just send a train/crew up to Bainbridge and then put them back in place once they get back to 145 Street? They have a middle track to work with; they can bring it back dark to 145 with absolutely no train traffic ahead in order to make up time. Instead nothing is done.

Email the MTA at MTA.INFO.COM and ask them. Wait for up to a week and they should answer you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all:

Are any of you interested in attending this Tuesday's General Board Meeting at Bronx CB7 to raise the issue of improving (:(/(D) service? It will take place from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM; I plan on attending.

Board Meeting Location:

At St. James Rec. Center, 2530 Jerome Avenue, Bronx, NY 10468

Closest Transit Options: (4) to Fordham Rd, then walk north on Jerome Ave.

Also, one may take the Bx12 (lcl or SBS) or the Bx32 bus.

Remember that one may pre-register to speak for the board meetings (I'll do so before meeting time); the CB7 numbers are (718).933.5650/51.

Thanks again!

~Concourse Express

Archived