D Train Issue

'89 Liberty MCI

Does anybody know what happened to the (D) at around 18:00-19:30 today? There was no service for 40 minutes when I was at 145 Street. (A) was good, (:) was good, and (C) was good. A half hour after I missed one (D), another one comes through empty, not in service, and doesn't stop. 5 minutes later one shows up and is so crowded that half the people waiting got left behind. 5 minutes after that another one shows up and half the remaining people from before get left behind. I was one of those who got left twice and I got out of the station and went elsewhere. 40 minutes means there were at least three trains missing.

I really hate the (D) train, I swear to God the TA does not give two rats' asses about that route. Every day you can barely fit on that train even when there are no Yankee games. The way the TA does things is so illogical. The (D) is the only service going up the Concourse at that time while the (A) and the (C) go their way together and the (:) finishes there at 145. They really cannot pull a train from any of those lines and send it up as a (D)? I know the crews gotta hang out at the end (145, 168, 207), but unless all the crews are going home, they can't just send a train/crew up to Bainbridge and then put them back in place once they get back to 145 Street? They have a middle track to work with; they can bring it back dark to 145 with absolutely no train traffic ahead in order to make up time. Instead nothing is done.

Whatever happened it couldn't have been too bad.If it was that bad then (B)'s would had been sent up Concourse.

And I feel what you're saying the (D) sucks in the Bronx & Manhattan I'm unsure about Bklyn though.Its the Concourse (D) riders have no consideration of taking the local (:) train.In the morning when the (D) starts going express up until the last (D) out of Bedford which is 8:58am I believe are packed.If you don't get on at Norwood or Bedford Park your chances of getting a seat is slim.Lets say once the train gets to Kingsbridge your chances of getting a seat is about 20-25% so that's 1 in every 4 people or 25/100 and that station has a lot of ridership.The typical (B) train you have a 100% chance of getting a seat from Bedford Park to 170th St! The schedule is ok but the (B) leaves 2min ahead of the (D) and the (B) kicks ass on the local and the (D) catches up around 155th or 145th and then the (B) beats the (D) to 125th and the (D) beats the (B) to 59th by about 3-4min.I know b\c I go to school in Brooklyn from the Bronx and I ride the local (B) train from Bedford to W4th where I either catch the (F)(if its there and take it to Jay for the (A)) or I catch the (A) or (C) whatever comes 1st to Euclid.But typical (D) riders have no consideration of the local train.They'll wait for 2 (B) trains to pass for a (D) and the (B) is not crowded until maybe 167 or 161.

The (D) actually does pretty well in Brooklyn. It's very frequent, clean, and efficent from where I live which is Bensonhurst right by the West End Elevated.

lol really? since when? I live right by the (D) and during rush hours it's packed and it smells...

lol really? since when? I live right by the (D) and during rush hours it's packed and it smells...

I live in Bensonhurst and I take the (D) everyday... It smells because of the people that get on that train. They're so nasty- anyone who takes the (D) in Bensonhurst knows what people I'm talking about...

But anyway, I think the train runs great. I get on at the Bay Parkway station

The (D) is dirty overnight into the early morning hours is b\c at Coney Island there isn't much cleaners and 205th there isn't enough time b\c they have to relay trains.Also since the (:) & (C) doesn't run 24/7 the bums get the (D)(A) or (F) mainly(ride) to whereever.Also our fellow riders are nasty and will litter and then they wanna bitch about why the train has sticky floors.It would be cool if the (D) had increased service since I'm hearing its crowded it can use 46's(a few sets).

The (D) probably does better in Brooklyn because in that section of its corridor they actually have enough supply to meet the demand and it doesn't share tracks with any other train after 36 Street, so there is no need for schedule adjustment and so those holding lights remain off. Maybe each successive train gets slower as it goes along since the trackage is shared with the (B) from Grand Street to 7 Av/53 St and then the (A) from 59 Street to 145 Street, so 5 minutes apart in Brooklyn becomes 10 minutes apart in the Bronx, as that is the headway up here most of the time. In addition it could be neglect of the timer/signal system/infrastructure so they can't do anything right. I also notice that those R68s are quite slow even with green signals all the way.

Well either way I'm gonna set fire to my (D) train shirt and avoid the (D) at all costs from now on. The shirt is small anyway.

The (D) is dirty overnight into the early morning hours is b\c at Coney Island there isn't much cleaners and 205th there isn't enough time b\c they have to relay trains.Also since the (:D & (C) doesn't run 24/7 the bums get the (D)(A) or (F) mainly(ride) to whereever.Also our fellow riders are nasty and will litter and then they wanna bitch about why the train has sticky floors.It would be cool if the (D) had increased service since I'm hearing its crowded it can use 46's(a few sets).

Forgot the granddaddy of them all, the homeless hotel, the (E). The (D) also often goes into 205th on 1 track giving cleaners less time too then those that come in on 2 and relay back out.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's sad about the (D). :( Might extending (B) service on the Concourse help? Did anyone ever find out what happened to the (D) for those forty minutes?

There's no need for the (B) up there after rush hours as its not needed

As for the original topic of the post, I weondered that myself

The (D) actually does pretty well in Brooklyn. It's very frequent, clean, and efficent from where I live which is Bensonhurst right by the West End Elevated.

speak for yourself. the (D) is not a frequent train at all. usually when there's something wrong along the west end, they'll send a (B) or sometimes even a (N)(Q) to replace service. i've had so many bad experiences with the (D) train, its not even funny.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There's no need for the (B) up there after rush hours as its not needed

As for the original topic of the post, I weondered that myself

Sir. Even when all the (D) trains that are supposed to be on the road are on the road and it's not Yankee season, people get left behind or barely fit on the trains. Plus you have duplicative service from Concourse buses that can be cut to keep costs down while money is invested in extra train service for the Concourse. And I routinely see huge crowds of people getting off the uptown (B)s and ©s at 145 to wait for the Bronx-bound (D) when there's already a huge crowd waiting for the (D).

Luis: Funny how you say you've had so many bad experiences with the (D) line, and you're talking about it from the Brooklyn end!

Broadway Local: That would help. The first train after the last Bedford Park train finishes at 145 Street a bit earlier, at about 18:35 or 18:45. I would like for at least all the current trips to go to Bedford Park. I would really like to see it do the whole thing (Bedford Pk Blvd/Grand Concourse to Brighton Beach) seven days a week, all times except nights, but others have said that the money is an issue. So then I propose a couple of shuttles: Bedford Pk Blvd/Grand Concourse to 145 St/St Nicholas Av and West 4 St/Av of the Americas to Brighton Beach. I don't know if the (Q) in Brooklyn has weekend crowding issues like the (D) always does in the Bronx, but the (Q)s are also 10 minutes apart most of the time which sucks.

As for the Brooklyn (:) shuttle or just running the whole Bedford Park to Brighton Beach route seven days a week, I'd like to say that more train service would bring more ridership, but I know it may not always do that. Even if the authority went out and told people that they were adding more train service, it might not grab people like the construction of a subway line or the introduction of Select Bus Service for example. The second one is the revamping of a bus route, the first one is the construction of a brand new rapid transit line. The second one has been proven to increase the use of something that already exists, the first one brings new people. Both continue to gain ridership until it levels off.

It was once said on this forum that little bus improvements are not going to gain much ridership and "build it and they will come" won't necessarily work. The little improvement referenced was improved bus service frequency with no change to the system itself such as SBS. With trains this may not apply as much since you're dealing with rapid transit, but it has the same dynamic. What will probably happen is that few will notice improved service frequencies if they don't already use the system. And among those who currently use the system, who's going to tell their friends or neighbors, "there's more subway service, come ride it"? Even if they do, you'll still have those who will not get out of their cars and the authority will have increased service for no reason.

This applies especially to the Brooklyn (B) shuttle and to the seven-days-a-week implementation of the full Bedford Park to Brighton Beach service since there are no bus lines in Manhattan or Brooklyn that can reasonably be cut to make up for this. The M10 is needed since it's around mostly to carry wheelchair and walker passengers; a few other people take advantage of the existence of the bus because it's more convenient than the subway for short distances. The B49 and B68 are needed since they're a significant help in reducing transfers and run several blocks away from East 16 Street.

In order to resolve the issue about the money I said they could cut service on the Bx1/2 in order to make up for some of the operating costs of the Bronx (B) shuttle. Specifically, eliminating Concourse bus service between Fordham and 170th Street should result in a big cost savings.

And if there's no big story as to that (D) train catastrophe I originally posted about, my speculation is that some crews didn't come in and their work assignments weren't filled in by extra crews. The same thing happens in the Department of Buses: A bus operator doesn't come in and they don't get an extra list guy to fill in the run, so his run is open all day. The authority uses this back door move to save money. It feels like it happens more frequently in DOB. Maybe it does, but also you feel it a lot more on the the local/limited buses because when you have no bus in front of you, you get delayed even further because twice the number of people that normally board your bus have to pay the fare at a single farebox and board through a single door.

^^^^^The (Q) is SRO on weekends, it varies with each trip, some (Q)'s have rush hour crowds wheres others do not.

While on the topic of two South BK subway lines, and bashing one, am I the only one that hates the Manhattan Bridge run? Its so effin slow compared to an underwater tube, it blows even more going BK bound due to that darn junction, why in the blue He double hockey sticks did the BMT send the subway lines over the Bridge, UGH! The Willyb run sucks as well.

I agree. All trains slow down to like 20-25mph on bridges because of safety. Probably because faster speeds would cause too much wear-and-tear on the bridge structure. The (1) on the Broadway Bridge does it too but you don't feel it since the Harlem River is so narrow. Nothing they can do, and they wouldn't replace bridge trackage with tunnel trackage these days.

To me, seeing all of those crowds waiting for the (D) at 145th St during non-rush hour periods in the week would lead to me supporting a full-time weekday (:) extension to Bedford Park Blvd.

1. PM rush hour (B) should run to Bedford Park weekdays until 7:30pm or 8pm at the latest.

and/or

2. All off peak (B) service should run to 167 or Tremont. The last 5 (B) trains (since they currently run OOS to the yard) can run to Bedford Park in service.

Sir. Even when all the (D) trains that are supposed to be on the road are on the road and it's not Yankee season, people get left behind or barely fit on the trains. Plus you have duplicative service from Concourse buses that can be cut to keep costs down while money is invested in extra train service for the Concourse....

Anf for that rerason is why the (:) isn't needed in the Bronx outside of rush hours. Its costs money to send those crews up there. What's the point of extending it when the Bx1 LTD/Bx2 LCL is directly upstairs

Because ( 1 ) buses burn diesel and pollute; ( 2 ) what about areas where there's a train but no bus on the same street, like New Utrecht Avenue, 4th Avenue, almost forgot McDonald Avenue is really far away from a train; and ( 3 ) bus depots, especially Kingsbridge which runs the Bx1/2, have been having terrible ramp line problems that translate into additional fuel and labor costs.

Also the Bx1/2 don't even take you to the IND lines at 145 Street, let alone the borough of Manhattan. It's irritating when you can't fit or barely fit on the lone (inadequate IMO) train service going up the Concourse while local buses run parallel to it but don't even go to your IND station in Manhattan and you have no single alternative that will take you up there. No train, no bus. You could take buses but heaven forbid it's Yankee season then you're really cooked (M3/Bx6 on Macombs Dam Bridge(/Bx1/2) or Bx19/Bx1/2 between 149th and 161st) and the Bx19 is so slow that by the time it gets from St. Nicholas to the edge of Manhattan another (D) train has shown up at 145th.

Lest you dare wait 10 minutes for the next (D) train tomorrow and you don't fit. Lest you dare take the Bx19 to the Bx1/2 the day after when there will have actually been room on the (D) train so you could have been home 15-30 minutes earlier. Now let this happen a few more times and you find that you can leave like a lot of New Yorkers have been doing and the authority just lost some revenue. Watch it get to the point where adding no extra service or cutting it and replacing it with nothing [better] results in a net loss rather than a net savings.

Now I have another idea in case there's nothing I can do about the Concourse trains: What about sending a branch of the Bx1/2 over the 145 Street bridge?

Maybe a bit awkward, how about getting to Lenox, taking a (3) train to 135th Street for a (2) train to East 149th Street-Grand Concourse for the (4) train since Jerome parallels the Concourse and many stations are simillar? Maybe Harlem-148th Street might be a little closer to Saint Nicholas Avenue and West 145th Street.

I agree with something being said.I support the (:P serving the Bronx longer after the PM rush b\c even at 8 & 9pm the (D) is frekin packed until Kingsbridge.Although I'm on the 1st or 2nd (B) to the Bronx everyday after school it should run up there until at least 8pm.The last (B) gets up there about 710pm which is the 53xpm or 54xpm train out of the Beach.

As for (B) weekend service I would support I said something before about terminating the (D) at 145th & have a (B) shuttle serving the Bronx.

Also during Ynks Games when the (B) isn't serving the Bronx yet the (D) is hell for commuters going home and for people trying to get to the game and there isn't even anything to help the (D) out.All in all I would support the (B) serving the Bronx longer in the PM.

I understand your points about wanting more B-train service in the Bronx, and the crowded D-train service in the Bronx.

My only concern is your suggestions about having B-trains run as shuttles from 145th Street to/from Bedford Park, and another shuttle from West 4th Street to Brighton Beach. If I understand your proposals, this idea would have those shuttles running at the same time as through service on the D-train.

The problem is that the tracks that would be used for the shuttle operation in both cases is also used by trains that would be running a through service. Basically in both examples there's no place to put the train that is terminating and relaying, while at the same time allowing the through train for either direction to pass by, while at the same time to not block the pathway of other trains.

Mike

I don't support the W4 to Beach.If anything thre is far more equipment available for extra Brighton service on weekends therefore shuttle would be useless.

Maybe even having the (D) terminate at Tremont won't be bad for weekend service make it run via express and when going back downtown it can run local but then that would defeat the (:P shuttle service unles it can wrongrail in 145th St from 155.

Archived