So Long, Long Island Bus...

Kriston Lewis

Veolia runs many of the public transit bus lines on the west coast such as LA's MTA and something I know well most of San Diego's MTA Bus routes as well.

Of the '3' mentioned, I would endorse Veolia to run LIB. From my experience riding their buses in Southern Calif. they are well mainted something the old NYC DOT 'private' was never done in it's final years.

Trains Magazine ran an article on Veolia called "Jacques of all trades" a couple of months ago. Veolia also provides water supply and trash disposal services, as well as bus/train systems.

But such a prestigious company has its price.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Veolia Environnement (yes, I spelled it right, it's French) is probably the best contender in terms of experience, but I have a feeling it will be denied based on cost.

MB Transit? Never heard of it. Sounds like something to do with Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

"Within days" probably means that it will be announced right after the public hearings, with any luck, before April 1.

He probably means MV Transportation, which is a big company over on the West Coast (it is minority- and woman-owned, based in California).

Going forward, the MTA should reconfigure itself as solely as a purchaser of vehicles, with private companies actually operating the vehicles, who may or may not be unionized.

Around NYC, Veolia runs NJT's Monmouth County transit services, and First Transit operates CT Transit's Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford divisions. (CT Transit technically has no employees, and is perhaps how the MTA should go in the future.)

Also, the advantage of a private operator: They can bring in their own vehicles in a pinch to supplement the county vehicles. In the DC area, four O5s for a long time were making the rounds from operator to operator with its Veolia's various contracts, particularly with Fairfax Connector and The Bus.

The new operator should probably take effect on June 1, when LI Bus' FY 2012 begins.

The big question though: Will the private operator go off the MetroCard system?

The big questions:

-Will they still use MetroCard?

-Will they still use Hempstead Transit Center and Mineola Intermodal Center?

-Will they have a website? (MTA turning over little-known libus.org?)

-Will they contract out paratransit too? (SCT doesn't)

-What fleet will they be using?

Service cuts and fare hikes are likely.

The big questions:

-Will they still use MetroCard?

-Will they still use Hempstead Transit Center and Mineola Intermodal Center?

-Will they have a website? (MTA turning over little-known libus.org?)

-Will they contract out paratransit too? (SCT doesn't)

-What fleet will they be using?

Service cuts and fare hikes are likely.

Suffolk County Transit has no employees; it's all contracted from six operators (one operator uses two garages). The paratransit is also contracted.

The answer to all of those questions should be yes, EXCEPT for the first question, which has to be the big one.

I also heard they want to close RVC down by next year, If anyone knows anyone in the (MTA) please contact them, The MTA should buy that property so this way they can rebuild Jamaica Depot, that would be smart.
that would be a foolish decision where else other than michel field will LIB come from most rtes arent compatible with hempstead. this means DH from far rockaway and queens!!! wasteful.

Veolia runs many of the public transit bus lines on the west coast such as LA's MTA and something I know well most of the San Diego's area MTS Bus routes as well.

Of the '3' mentioned, I would endorse Veolia to run LIB. From my experience riding their buses in Southern Calif. they are well mainted something the old NYC DOT 'private' was never done in it's final years.

Veolia also runs various bus lines in The Netherlands, a few train lines in The Netherlands, a few train and bus lines in Germany and some transit in the United Kingdom (and of course France, but that was obvious). So yeah, they're pretty big.

The people who ride the N6 or N22 aren't concerned as much with speed, but with the cost, since it is cheaper to take the bus than it is to take the LIRR.

However,N 6 and N 22 rider don't want their time on the bus being more longer as is now.

Archived