So Long, Long Island Bus...

Kriston Lewis

Because that would be going from bad to worse, Garibaldi. Sure, there are massive headways with some routes (see the N33 and 51) but with a private company to fend for itself with absolute no external aid, they would have to increase fares and cut service even more.

You might as well have just the N4 and N6 run.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because that would be going from bad to worse, Garibaldi. Sure, there are massive headways with some routes (see the N33 and 51) but with a private company to fend for itself with absolute no external aid, they would have to increase fares and cut service even more.

You see had Nassau been paying its share all along perhaps it wouldn't have gotten to this situation. I'm not saying I don't feel for the commuters, but what else are you going to do? The economy is in the tank and there's no money.

Maybe becayse Jay Walder is the first chief to actually TRY and close the budget gap?
If not for Greg Mocker I would not have known about an $11 Million dollar contract that they were set to award to a consultaing firm and that firm happend to be one of Mr Walders old employers that's why he had to recuse himself from the vote

Take the (MTA) Business Service Center for instance which was created to consolidate job functions I called there 2 weeks ago looking for a specific person and was told "there are over 500 people here"

The private contractor (it is going to be a contractor, folks) is going to have at least $45M in state funds plus up to $4.1M from Nassau County. They are replacing the MTA as a contractor, not operating out of the farebox. It is possible that the state may cut LIB's state allotment as punishment for cutting the meager local subsidy even further.

As it stands now, Westchester and Suffolk have been irritated for years that Nassau has essentially forced NYSDOT to pick up most of its bill for the bus system. If NYSDOT doesn't punish Nassau for cutting further, what is to stop Westchester from walking away from their buses? They don't want to pay for buses up there either, but the county recognizes that it keeps the cost of living down and grudgingly pays for it.

The private contractor (it is going to be a contractor, folks) is going to have at least $45M in state funds plus up to $4.1M from Nassau County. They are replacing the MTA as a contractor, not operating out of the farebox. It is possible that the state may cut LIB's state allotment as punishment for cutting the meager local subsidy even further.

As it stands now, Westchester and Suffolk have been irritated for years that Nassau has essentially forced NYSDOT to pick up most of its bill for the bus system. If NYSDOT doesn't punish Nassau for cutting further, what is to stop Westchester from walking away from their buses? They don't want to pay for buses up there either, but the county recognizes that it keeps the cost of living down and grudgingly pays for it.

BEST POST SO FAR COULDNT SAY IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!! But I have grown so attatched to LIB and I live in brooklyn!!!!! I know how bad a private contractor can get I dont want nassau to degrade into suffolk level or WORSE DUTCHESS LEVEL SERVICE!!!!!!! I have been BURNED HARD BY THEIR HEADWAYS AND EARLY CUT OFF TIMES!!!! I am so scared I dont have the flexibility to get strangers for pickups transit in those areas is so bad random strangers even hot women offer me rides there!!!!! THIS IS WRONG!!!!! MTA NEEDS TO STAND UP TO NASSAU AND FIGHT FOR THE PPL AND THE FUTURE OF TRAVEL!!!!!!! If you want to see hell look at SCT 10c !!!!!! I know how bad private contractors can get!!!!!! and unreliable just ask ppl in suffolk!!!!!! at least steve levy is fighting to improve service out there. IT would be a HUGE MIDDLE FINGER TO NASSAU IF MTA LIB WERE TO MOVE TO SUFFOLK OR WORSE DUTCHESS. Not that it might happen though however ppl there would welcome a takeover!!!!!!

@Joel: "Now, with the economy in the toilet, every company out there is operating in the name of cuts"

So explain to me the following. In the past, CEO's of the MTA has made a huge budget cap. Now finally someone like Jay Walder is trying to close the gap. When the gap is closed, there is more money for projects and, well, basically everything that you can do with money. Say, you were CEO of the MTA instead of Jay Walder and you had to try and close the gap instead of Walder. What would you do to close the gap? If you're not gonna cut things or do fare hikes, then the gap will still be there. It's not gonna close itself.

wait theres still hope. in one of the videos the comptroller said he was going to negotiate with the mta but thats not my point. the comptroller said that if the talks with the mta was useless then they would talk to the bee line company. its just so great dont you think. if the bee line agrees with nassau the long island bus will be stripped from its red and blue livery and be painted the giant bee with the blue and yellow stripes along the side. not only that but if the bee line system grows more maybe it can buy out the mta can you imagine that. all of new york under the control of the bee line system?;):P:P but it is sad that long island bus is running its final days. but if bee line does merge with long island bus i find no need to be sad we should celebrate. the mta has been neglecting long island bus since the recession started. goodbye long island bus i never got to ride you:cry::cry::cry: now we wait and see which one takes over the long island bus the bee line or a private company. :eek:

Interesting thing, I'm on the Q85 this morning then when we got to Merrick the B/O said "transfer to Nassau County's Long Island Bus's N4", huge introduction to just another local bus lol.

I'm sure this is unrelated (or is it...) but it was intriguing.

its just so great dont you think. if the bee line agrees with nassau the long island bus will be stripped from its red and blue livery and be painted the giant bee with the blue and yellow stripes along the side. not only that but if the bee line system grows more maybe it can buy out the mta can you imagine that. all of new york under the control of the bee line system?;):P:P

How many mops do we need this time for all the foam in your post?

@Joel: "Now, with the economy in the toilet, every company out there is operating in the name of cuts"

So explain to me the following. In the past, CEO's of the MTA has made a huge budget cap. Now finally someone like Jay Walder is trying to close the gap. When the gap is closed, there is more money for projects and, well, basically everything that you can do with money. Say, you were CEO of the MTA instead of Jay Walder and you had to try and close the gap instead of Walder. What would you do to close the gap? If you're not gonna cut things or do fare hikes, then the gap will still be there. It's not gonna close itself.

I don't remember saying that. I would have raised the fare straight to $3.00 and forced Albany to buy down the fare like they did in Suffolk. The MTA is way behind on rehabbing the system and I fear that someone is going to fail in the near future and cause a problem. I agree with most elements of the MTA's Long Island Bus strategy.

You have to consider that public agencies are more accountable than a private company. A public company is required by law to hold hearings when it wishes to make major service changes (reductions and additions) or fare increases, whereas a private company is more likely to cut service on a whim. Also, the MTA is more able to be contacted: If there is a problem, such as a bunch of missing buses, it is probably a lot easier to report it than reporting it to a private company.

And what do you mean by general concensus? Do you mean what they think should be done with the system (privatize it, cut it completely, or pay the MTA their money)?

If that is what you mean, I would assume that the towns further west have a more welcoming view of public transportation. Even if they don't use the system themselves, they probably have children who use it, or friends that use it. The thing is that those areas are generally the areas where the services have high ridership and are fairly cost-efficient, and are therefore not getting cut (of course, with some exceptions)

Further east, you have the people with the "Who cares" additude, since they don't use the system. I'm sure that some of the towns with routes that run every 60 minutes have people who are actually opposed to the bus system, since it uses their tax dollars to help bring in a supposedly undesirable element into their neighborhoods (obviously, those people aren't even using the system, or if they are, they are using it to get to the LIRR and have a car available at home).

So instead of getting no response, you get a "canned" response from the (MTA) if you're lucky and instead of getting no hearings, you get hearings where the folks sleep and ignore the people and still cut the service in the end. If anything it's just a bigger slap in the face. ;)

And what I mean by general consensus is what folks in Nassau County think overall, not just the commuters there. We know on the form here that there's a pro (MTA) stance but perhaps the overall consensus is for privatization. If that's the case then what can you do?

Well, in that case, I think that the areas where a lot of people use the buses (Hempstead, Freeport, Mineola, Uniondale, etc) would like to keep the service as is. The people in the towns further out, where it is conceivable that somebody could have friends and relatives who have never used a bus, I would assume that they want it privatized (though they might not want it eliminated, since the buses bring in people to perform low-wage jobs like mowing lawns and shoveling snow).

I wonder how many people want all but the busiest routes eliminated. If you think about it, it requires higher taxes to subsidize these low-ridership routes.

Well, in that case, I think that the areas where a lot of people use the buses (Hempstead, Freeport, Mineola, Uniondale, etc) would like to keep the service as is. The people in the towns further out, where it is conceivable that somebody could have friends and relatives who have never used a bus, I would assume that they want it privatized (though they might not want it eliminated, since the buses bring in people to perform low-wage jobs like mowing lawns and shoveling snow).

I wonder how many people want all but the busiest routes eliminated. If you think about it, it requires higher taxes to subsidize these low-ridership routes.

The property taxes out there are sky high so if they really want relief the first thing they'd look at is the transit. Overall some of them don't care as long as they can get to the LIRR. I've had some co-workers from Long Island and they all drive to the LIRR.

I don't remember saying that. I would have raised the fare straight to $3.00 and forced Albany to buy down the fare like they did in Suffolk. The MTA is way behind on rehabbing the system and I fear that someone is going to fail in the near future and cause a problem. I agree with most elements of the MTA's Long Island Bus strategy.

I was talking to Joel Up Front.

wait theres still hope. in one of the videos the comptroller said he was going to negotiate with the mta but thats not my point. the comptroller said that if the talks with the mta was useless then they would talk to the bee line company. its just so great dont you think. if the bee line agrees with nassau the long island bus will be stripped from its red and blue livery and be painted the giant bee with the blue and yellow stripes along the side. not only that but if the bee line system grows more maybe it can buy out the mta can you imagine that. all of new york under the control of the bee line system?;):P:P but it is sad that long island bus is running its final days. but if bee line does merge with long island bus i find no need to be sad we should celebrate. the mta has been neglecting long island bus since the recession started. goodbye long island bus i never got to ride you:cry::cry::cry: now we wait and see which one takes over the long island bus the bee line or a private company. :eek:

you mean westchester beeline running LIB if that's true then thats not so bad they are mostly on time!!!! I dont want private beeline or MTA noone else I personally think beeline needs to take over putnam buses near metro-north!!!! the 4 rtes. As for nassau I think a joint operation with MTA and beeline bus so new long distance rtes linking LI with westchester can be born. Maybe an airport link to LGA. However the MTA can consolodate the rtes though?? they have enough extra trips in far rockaway and on N4 and N6 too even N20 and 22 to cuhsion the cuts. But the schedules will need adjusting.

The MTA management would be out in the streets and replaced with people that actually use the transit system, but have business knowledge as well.

Helena Williams, president of the MTA LIRR, travels to and from her work by train every day.

Does anyone know if the western most routes are gonna be added to the Queens system?

Id say they add the N 20/21 west of Great neck,57,58,25,26,22/24 west of Mineola,15/16/31/32 west of Hempstead,1,2,8,14,6,4 west of Rockville Centre and 33

None, I hope. Why is it so essential for NYC taxpayers to keep subsidizing Nassau County?

Should have thought of that before Nassau County decided to stop paying its bills.

I understand that nassau needs to pay its bills that is what albany is for MTA could win. However NYC pp; travel to and from nassau several of them and nassau ppl to and from NYC even via N6 I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH THE SEGREGATED TRANSIT LOGIC!!!! IT'S THE SAME REASON WHY SCT SUCKS THAT SAME WAY OF THINKING. "why should nassau help suffolk why should suffolk help nassau it isnt all about the locals it's about creating a regional system everyone can use cause this affects NYC ppl too indirectly. That is selfish!!!!!:tdown:

Archived