SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

There are some R143s which still have the V, W and the brown M.

And also some R142s have the (V), Brown (M), and (W). Seen it this morning on the last car of a (2)

You both are right. Fewer of the strip maps on the NTTs haven't got updated yet.

(Or should I say replaced?)

I can also remember a few months back when I saw some R142As with the eliminated routes too.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the (G) which is why I now take the (J). Much more reliable.

Basically!

I mean I feel a way the most because I feel like I'm the only one in this community that knows the (G) the most. I just hate how one of my home lines suck so much ass! The (F) will always be my orginal home line tho. And the (E) isn't perfect but it's still a wavey line lml

Edited by E For Erica

Basically!

I mean I feel a way the most because I feel like I'm the only one in this community that knows the (G) the most. I just hate how one of my home lines suck so much ass! The (F) will always be my orginal home line tho. And the (E) isn't perfect but it's still a wavey line lml

Lets hope then CBTC on the IND Queens Blvd Line will finally nail the problem on the (F) in the long run. I dont see any other solution, infrastructure-wise. Come to think about it the ultimate reason why there may be delays on the (F) either way is the QBL in itself, it should have been built six tracks. Also the Bergen St interlocking it should be rebuilt. If you look at the current track configuration the (F) has to switch tracks if upper level to get to Jay Street while the lower level has direct access. It should be redone but it will be expensive to do.

Dont know how the IND could have screwed that up, but QBL CBTC should be the answer to make up for the oversight as did the 63rd Street Line in part historically under the MTA, post plan for action.

Edited by realizm

Forgot to post this...

Yesterday I went RFWing on the northbound (C) from its southern end to its northern end (and then back). There was an (A) that came into the junction as we pulled out and it left us at Utica. Another (A) passes after Lafayette but both that train and my (C) got held near the Hoyt interlocking due to a sick passenger at Hoyt-Schermerhorn (on the first (A) that I saw).

After the issue was cleared, the second (A) across proceeded into the station before my local train did. We went at 30 miles per hour midway through the Cranberry Street tube. As we then got held at Canal to let the (E) proceed. Then at 59th Street, we made a connection with a Bronx-bound (D). But my local train was sent express (via the local track) due to lateness from the earlier two issues mention. Many passengers got off to wait for the next (C) or (B) for local service via CPW.

The operator went very slow from 103rd through 110th and finally came to a complete stop outside of 116th (due to a (B) infront). IMO, it didn't made any difference since the signals were clear for the train to come into the station. We could have just came into and pick up the passengers from the station, instead of sitting outside of it while waiting for the red signal at the end of said station to clear. My local train got held for like about 6 minutes. I think it was better for us to just came into the station and wait for the signals north of said station to clear.

Forgot to post this...

Yesterday I went RFWing on the northbound (C) from its southern end to its northern end (and then back). There was an (A) that came into the junction as we pulled out and it left us at Utica. Another (A) passes after Lafayette but both that train and my (C) got held near the Hoyt interlocking due to a sick passenger at Hoyt-Schermerhorn (on the first (A) that I saw).

After the issue was cleared, the second (A) across proceeded into the station before my local train did. We went at 30 miles per hour midway through the Cranberry Street tube. As we then got held at Canal to let the (E) proceed. Then at 59th Street, we made a connection with a Bronx-bound (D). But my local train was sent express (via the local track) due to lateness from the earlier two issues mention. Many passengers got off to wait for the next (C) or (B) for local service via CPW.

The operator went very slow from 103rd through 110th and finally came to a complete stop outside of 116th (due to a (B) infront). IMO, it didn't made any difference since the signals were clear for the train to come into the station. We could have just came into and pick up the passengers from the station, instead of sitting outside of it while waiting for the red signal at the end of said station to clear. My local train got held for like about 6 minutes. I think it was better for us to just came into the station and wait for the signals north of said station to clear.

I agree, I dont understand why the T/D at the towers directed the T/O to do that at all. Perhaps he or she really should have sent that (C) through the CPW express tracks if it was that delayed, otherwise leave the (C) local as it is, without bypassing stops.

Edited by realizm

Lets hope then CBTC on the IND Queens Blvd Line will finally nail the problem on the (F) in the long run. I dont see any other solution, infrastructure-wise. Come to think about it the ultimate reason why there may be delays on the (F) either way is the QBL in itself, it should have been built six tracks. Also the Bergen St interlocking it should be rebuilt. If you look at the current track configuration the (F) has to switch tracks if upper level to get to Jay Street while the lower level has direct access. It should be redone but it will be expensive to do.

Dont know how the IND could have screwed that up, but QBL CBTC should be the answer to make up for the oversight as did the 63rd Street Line in part historically under the MTA, post plan for action.

You're totally right. So with the CBTC the (F) will be ALL R160 right? Not even an occasional R46 anymore right?

And Bergen Street should be an express station (4 Tracks & everything). That's been like the key thing that's been stopping the (F) from being Culver Exp all along. And that's one of my most favorite (F) / (G) stops. Bewteen that stop & Smith-9th it was nothing but back to back R46's from both lines back in the day. With the exception of R32's that were on the (F)

Edited by E For Erica

The (F) would most likely get the R211s to replace the R46s running on it.

I agree, I dont understand why the T/D at the towers directed the T/O to do that at all. Perhaps he or she really should have sent that (C) through the CPW express tracks if it was that delayed, otherwise leave the (C) local as it is, without bypassing stops.

They probably didn't want to delay the (D) that we made a connection with at 59th Street. My (C) train was like say 25 minutes late (?) I think. This was during the morning rush hour.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

You're totally right. So with the CBTC the (F) will be ALL R160 right? Not even an occasional R46 anymore right?

And Bergen Street should be an express station (4 Tracks & everything). That's been like the key thing that's been stopping the (F) from being Culver Exp all along. And that's one of my most favorite (F) / (G) stops. Bewteen that stop & Smith-9th it was nothing but back to back R46's from both lines back in the day. With the exception of R32's that were on the (F)

Bergen Street is an express station but here's the problem:

12258760435_70eb60d283_b.jpg

Due to a screw up in IND design (long story on IND Second System plans) the Culver local is forced to switch to lower level north of Bergen to get to the Rutgers Street Tunnel, which is a waste of time. That creates a bottlenecking point.

Yup the IND QBL should have been six tracks.

And what RollOverMyHead stated as well, the R211's in development to replace the R46's. The MTA needs cars that can run on both fixed signal block and CBTC environments as the scope of the QBL CBTC project only goes from the interlocking points of the 8th Avenue and 6th Avenue lines in Manhattan for the (E) and (F) to Union Tpke on the IND QBL. 

Edited by realizm

The (E) really flies along the QBL, but it's not even close to touching a (2) or (3) along 7th avenue with all greens.

True, some of the fastest speed zones in the system exists along the IRT Seventh Ave Line. The (2) or (3) between Times Square and 72nd then 96th is a serious joyride in terms of speed. 50+ MPH easy.

The R160's are beast along the (E) and (F) on Queens Blvd. esp Jamaica bound on all greens but it cannot compare, for now... (45+ MPH vs 50+) Now imagine how that may improve with CBTC allowing for even spacing of trains and faster speeds.

Edited by realizm

True, some of the fastest speed zones in the system exists along the IRT Seventh Ave Line. The (2) or (3) between Times Square and 72nd then 96th is a serious joyride in terms of speed. 50+ MPH easy.

The R160's are beast along the (E) and (F) on Queens Blvd. esp Jamaica bound on all greens but it cannot compare, for now... (45+ MPH vs 50+) Now imagine how that may improve with CBTC allowing for even spacing of trains and faster speeds.

Cbtc will be awesome when it hits the qbl, imagine cbtc on the (A) with those godly R211's that might be the R10 days 2.0

Cbtc will be awesome when it hits the qbl, imagine cbtc on the (A) with those godly R211's that might be the R10 days 2.0

New cars on the (A)? Now you're talking crazy. The (A)(C) are where trains go to die. I don't know if the (C) is getting any of the 65 R179 4-car sets, but one would think so because there are enough short sets to replace every R32 and R42 still in service. I fully expect the R211s to go to Concourse, Jamaica, and CI with the displaced R68/As going to the (A).

New cars on the (A)? Now you're talking crazy. The (A)(C) are where trains go to die. I don't know if the (C) is getting any of the 65 R179 4-car sets, but one would think so because there are enough short sets to replace every R32 and R42 still in service. I fully expect the R211s to go to Concourse, Jamaica, and CI with the displaced R68/As going to the (A).

Lmao that's messed up. (A) riders be like "Never gonna get it (En Vouge voice)" But isn't the (A) & (C) suppose to get the 179's anyway?

Lmao that's messed up. (A) riders be like "Never gonna get it (En Vouge voice)" But isn't the (A) & (C) suppose to get the 179's anyway?

I heard from somewhere that the (A) was supposed to get a set of R160's but that didn't happen due to power issues at the Rockaways. But who knows? The (A) and (C) may get the new cars in future.

I thought the 5-car R179s were going to Jamiaca so a few sets of R46s could go to the (A). The (A)did have sets of R160s for in-service testing, and when reroutes sent the (F) to Euclid or Lefferts, a few C/Rs changed to the (A) program at Jay Street. The (C) got R160s from the (J)(Z) last summer for the air conditioning. I fully expect the majority of the incoming 4-car sets to go to the (C), making it entirely NTT by the middle of 2017. I know the 32s, 38s, 44s, and a good amount of 40/Ms and 42s spent their last days on the (A)(C)(E), mainly because Eighth Avenue has some of the better shop facilities (the ones not in the Eastern Division were out of CI for the same reason). The 46s are going to be there until the R211s come in. Knowing the (MTA), they might just send all the 4-cars to ENY and give the "old" R160s to the (C).

Where are you getting your info from? Outside of the BMT eastern division the (C) is the only line that runs trains of 8 car units therefore that's where the majority of the 179's will go along with the (J) to bump of those r42's and the 5 car sets going on the (Q) and (T) . Why would the (MTA) go through the hassle of keeping Ntt's off the (A) to put them on the (B) and (D) when the (B) isn't even a full time route and the r68's are fine?

Where are you getting your info from? Outside of the BMT eastern division the (C) is the only line that runs trains of 8 car units therefore that's where the majority of the 179's will go along with the (J) to bump of those r42's and the 5 car sets going on the (Q) and (T) . Why would the (MTA) go through the hassle of keeping Ntt's off the (A) to put them on the (B) and (D) when the (B) isn't even a full time route and the r68's are fine?

As I said in a later post, the (C) will certainly get NTTs when the R179 order comes in. With the (A), I'm going with history. The R68s are fine, but the (A) and (C) haven't gotten new cars since the R46s, which mostly went to CI and Jamaica. Historically, the trend has been to send new cars to CI and Jamaica with the old cars being transferred to Pitkin and 207th. Did I say it was logical? No. How long did the (7) go without getting new cars? When the R142/As came in, they displaced R62As which were sent to Corona. Instead of giving the (A) R160s to replace its R44s, it got Jamaica's discarded R46s. In a logical world, the (A) would have a full fleet of R211s at the end of the decade, as every car currently on that line is being retired at that point. But, the (MTA) does not run logically.

As I said in a later post, the (C) will certainly get NTTs when the R179 order comes in. With the (A), I'm going with history. The R68s are fine, but the (A) and (C) haven't gotten new cars since the R46s, which mostly went to CI and Jamaica. Historically, the trend has been to send new cars to CI and Jamaica with the old cars being transferred to Pitkin and 207th. Did I say it was logical? No. How long did the (7) go without getting new cars? When the R142/As came in, they displaced R62As which were sent to Corona. Instead of giving the (A) R160s to replace its R44s, it got Jamaica's discarded R46s. In a logical world, the (A) would have a full fleet of R211s at the end of the decade, as every car currently on that line is being retired at that point. But, (MTA) the  does not run logically.

Exactamoondo, I still don't see them purposefully putting R68's on the (B) and (D) just to keep the (A) using old equipment. The (7) had clearance and power issues when the R142/a's came in. We'll most definitely the R211's spread out between Jamaica, 207, Pitkin, and CI for the (A)(F) and (R) lines but as far as them going to Concourse, NO

Instead of giving the (A) R160s to replace its R44s, it got Jamaica's discarded R46s. In a logical world, the (A) would have a full fleet of R211s at the end of the decade, as every car currently on that line is being retired at that point. But, the (MTA) does not run logically.

The R160's cannot run on the (A) because of the problems concerning the IND Rockaways and electrical power supplied by LIPA. Originally it was Jamaica that was to receive the dying SMEEs and the car assignments started to take effect with SMEEs being reassigned to the (E) and (F) . That changed because of the premature retirement of the R44s. Many of the R160's ended up in Jamaica as a change of plans. The rest is history.

So what type of nightmare will happen on the QBL during CBTC installation? Will it be just the express tracks? or all four tracks? Will all trains go local instead of a line shut down?

Express tracks only for the (E) and (F) , from Union Tpke on the QBL to the 53rd Street Corridor and the 63rd Street Line to its respective trunk lines where CBTC ends.

Edited by realizm