MTA Looks to Put Welfare Recipients to Work

Via Garibaldi 8

These "welfare to work" programs do nothing good for anyone. Takes parents away from their kids, and unrealistic goals on people who may not be emotionally or mentally capable to carry out such tasks.

Basically it's a bit worse than slavery, holding aspirational expectations for people unable to comply with the conditions.

The solution is to eliminate the minimum wage as we have it set up now, something that has not been realistically raised with things like inflation & cost of living, and require employers to provide a living wage to all employees unless the employee opts out, for example a retired older person just looking to have something to do for a few extra bucks a week, or people under age 18.

Just to clarify, here in PA the max benefit for an individual is $4,980 per year. That's 200 in food stamps and 215 in cash assistance per month. In other words 12 people cost as much as a higher living wage (68k/yr), or a little bit more than 2 base living wages (33k/yr).

Being on public assistance, yea, it's not something anyone would ever actually want. The medical care/dental etc is dicy, lot of hacks that take on as many patients as possible to get that $ from the state, often performing procedures and doing things that cost less than what the state is willing to pay & pocketing the rest. Then you got food shopping. Not sure if any of you have been to a grocery store lately, but prices are at a point where i'm having to decide to not eat the last few days at the end of the month, or buy food that would have me at the dentist & on the toilet & awake all night.

Cash assistance. Yep. Very aptly named, assistance, very much not "cash solution". At the end of each month after bills, i have a grand total of a few coins or less. Yea, i'm really living large, i have a few coins to jingle in my pocket so i can sometimes pretend i have more money that i somehow left in my other pants at home.

There are people who abuse the system, no denying that, but why make the needy suffer because of a few bad apples? Makes no sense.

So, as you here read that & comment, remember that having a paycheck is a gift. Being on public assistance is a bare bones safety net, avoid it if you can.

- A

Requiring those on welfare to work in not slavery. Slaves don't have a choice, people on welfare do, no one is forcing them to accept money from the government.

And to say that a paycheck is a gift is an insult to anyone who puts in a hard days work, when you have a job, you do something or produce something through your work. No one is just handing you money, if you worked, maybe you would understand that.

These "welfare to work" programs do nothing good for anyone. Takes parents away from their kids, and unrealistic goals on people who may not be emotionally or mentally capable to carry out such tasks.

Basically it's a bit worse than slavery, holding aspirational expectations for people unable to comply with the conditions.

The solution is to eliminate the minimum wage as we have it set up now, something that has not been realistically raised with things like inflation & cost of living, and require employers to provide a living wage to all employees unless the employee opts out, for example a retired older person just looking to have something to do for a few extra bucks a week, or people under age 18.

Just to clarify, here in PA the max benefit for an individual is $4,980 per year. That's 200 in food stamps and 215 in cash assistance per month. In other words 12 people cost as much as a higher living wage (68k/yr), or a little bit more than 2 base living wages (33k/yr).

Being on public assistance, yea, it's not something anyone would ever actually want. The medical care/dental etc is dicy, lot of hacks that take on as many patients as possible to get that $ from the state, often performing procedures and doing things that cost less than what the state is willing to pay & pocketing the rest. Then you got food shopping. Not sure if any of you have been to a grocery store lately, but prices are at a point where i'm having to decide to not eat the last few days at the end of the month, or buy food that would have me at the dentist & on the toilet & awake all night.

Cash assistance. Yep. Very aptly named, assistance, very much not "cash solution". At the end of each month after bills, i have a grand total of a few coins or less. Yea, i'm really living large, i have a few coins to jingle in my pocket so i can sometimes pretend i have more money that i somehow left in my other pants at home.

There are people who abuse the system, no denying that, but why make the needy suffer because of a few bad apples? Makes no sense.

So, as you here read that & comment, remember that having a paycheck is a gift. Being on public assistance is a bare bones safety net, avoid it if you can.

- A

The solution isn't to raise the minimum wage, but rather lower the cost of living for starters. Inflation has gotten out of hand and while the recession has helped with that, when things get better the inflation problem will only become worse.

As far as paychecks and welfare goes, there are certainly people out there that are not at all ashamed to use and abuse the system because they are too lazy to go out and work and let us taxpayers foot the bill.

Those who are on welfare and are abled bodied folks should be out there working for their paycheck, simple as that.

You make a valid good point,but some young women out here have kids just to get assistance and a roof over their heads.Welfare abuse was a piece of cake back in the 70s and 80s.Almost,if not everyone can apply and get accepted,but after all of the abusers and hacks exploited the loopholes,now the Gov't is cracking down.Some call this exploitation,I call it a second chance to redeem themselves.As someone mentioned earlier in the thread as well about this being a way to get around the union is correct.Slowly the big wigs at the 5th avenue HQ is brainstorming subtle ideas on de-unionizing the (MTA).In other words the (MTA) are hiring scab workers.A practice that has been in the work pages for years,so this isn't an entirely new concept per se'.

Women having children does not change the amount of assistance they receive for themselves, what happens is they get additional medical screenings and care, and then the child when born gets its own % of assistance, usually no more than a hundred dollars a month or less total. Having children to stay on welfare may have been how it worked in the 70's but nowdays the parents are accountable for every dollar and if they don't take care of the kids properly the state takes custody and they go to a state children's facility or they get placed in foster care. The paperwork for applications for children is like 8 double sided pages of the most detailed questioning you might ever see aside from a citizenship test, plus they are required to prove everything with doctor forms and so on. If you don't go to the doctors they tell you to, you get kicked off of assistance and the child is taken into custody at birth.

Might not believe it, but the county/city assistance offices here in PA give out free condoms and vouchers for birth control, and they also refer women to planned parenthood for free screenings & birth control while they wait for their application to be processed.

The problem is really one with society in general, not really any specific individual. Hiring people to get them off of welfare should not be something that involves financial incentives to the potential employer. What should happen is a financial bridge and planning services should be offered to the assistance recipiants, to get their mindset, if they are fully able to return to work, back in a healthy place and out of survival mode.

Welfare/public assistance is a survival safety net, and the more accountability they have the less waste there is and more actual people who need help can get it.

As far as unions, i think anything where a group of people provide another group of people with parts of their lifestyle should be protected by unions, unions with official term limits for representatives, and laws controlling personal benefits for those officials.

- A

- A

thats so wrong, if your on welfare you can get child care and be able too work a 8 hour shift. most people on welfare want too work and this would be great if they do it again. yes there are lazy people out there but they need too work if they can and this will help the city and the MTA because for one the welfare thing is getting harder, now you have too pay for alot of what they give you and your place you live you have too pay more than ever 30% of your rent for your first year and 40% the next year, then you get too pay for the hole thing afther that,

Archived