Slow speeds into Grand Central

SouthernRailway

One of my many questions: why are (EDITED TO CLARIFY) Metro-North trains SO SLOW between 59th Street and their arrival into Grand Central, given the following:

(1) Turnouts/switches that can be used at high speeds are available

(2) The slow speeds on that strip surely add a few minutes of daily trip time to the thousands of people- including plenty of bigshots- who take Metro-North

Trains go at a decent clip from 125th to 59th Streets and always slow down immediately, even before the massive slew of turnouts that separate tracks as trains approach Grand Central starts.

Why?

Thanks.

There are sharp curves on both ends of the station, that require slow speeds to manuver around them, thus the slow speeds. Hope that helps....

Sometimes they do track work or whatever at Grand Central. When I take the (4)(5) or (6) to Whole Foods on my lunch break, I notice that the trains come in very slowly from 59th st. There also appears to be materials left on the tracks, which I suppose the workers need and this also appears to be another reason why they come in so slowly.

One of my many questions: why are (EDITED TO CLARIFY) Metro-North trains SO SLOW between 59th Street and their arrival into Grand Central, given the following:

(1) Turnouts/switches that can be used at high speeds are available

(2) The slow speeds on that strip surely add a few minutes of daily trip time to the thousands of people- including plenty of bigshots- who take Metro-North

Trains go at a decent clip from 125th to 59th Streets and always slow down immediately, even before the massive slew of turnouts that separate tracks as trains approach Grand Central starts.

Why?

Thanks.

You fail to realise that you have 4 tracks that branch out into many many times that number in a very brief span of space.

High speed turnouts are where the curve from one track to another is spread out over a long area.

None of this is possible entering GCT.

Archived